Aston Martin AMR23

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
issey
issey

Re: Aston Martin AMR23

-wkst- wrote:
25 Aug 2023, 11:16

Can't see this winglet here?
It’s removable the mount is still there

KimiRai
KimiRai

-wkst-
-wkst-

Obviously this winglet has more something to do with pitstops than with an aero device. :lol:

issey
issey

-wkst- wrote:
25 Aug 2023, 11:47
Obviously this winglet has more something to do with pitstops than with an aero device. :lol:
Because pitstop is written on doesnt mean its for pitstops in the FIA document it says a winglet has been added behind the diffuser. But it already got broken during pitstop practice so idk

KimiRai
KimiRai

issey wrote:
25 Aug 2023, 12:10
-wkst- wrote:
25 Aug 2023, 11:47
Because pitstop is written on doesnt mean its for pitstops in the FIA document it says a winglet has been added behind the diffuser. But it already got broken during pitstop practice so idk
You are right, its on the fia document.

According to Fabrega it got damaged during pitstop practice, hopefully there's spares.

Last edited by KimiRai on 25 Aug 2023, 21:41, edited 2 times in total.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Aston Martin are indeed running the winglet during FP1.

zioture
zioture

KimiRai
KimiRai

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I think Fabrega is implying that the winglet under the impact attenuator broke off during the pitstop.

KimiRai
KimiRai

AR3-GP wrote:
25 Aug 2023, 20:18
I think Fabrega is implying that the winglet under the impact attenuator broke off during the pitstop.
Regardless it seems that it was removed for practice 2. Would be interesting to see if they find a way to make it compatible with the rear jack during pitstops.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

KimiRai wrote:
25 Aug 2023, 21:37
AR3-GP wrote:
25 Aug 2023, 20:18
it seems that it was removed for fp2.
Based on this picture, it was "removed"...but not intentionally. You can see the fractured/frayed carbon fiber.

To be honest I don't know which driver's car we are looking at here. So it could have been removed on Alonso's car and broken on Strolls:

KimiRai
KimiRai

AR3-GP wrote:
25 Aug 2023, 21:49

Based on this picture, it was "removed"...but not intentionally. You can see the fractured/frayed carbon fiber.

To be honest I don't know which driver's car we are looking at here. So it could have been removed on Alonso's car and broken on Strolls:

https://i.postimg.cc/GmJ81kHW/image.png
That photo I believe was uploaded by Fabrega before FP1 took place (11:49 AM, around 40 minutes earlier) so that accident must have happened before, unless it kept happening again afterwards.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

KimiRai wrote:
25 Aug 2023, 21:54
AR3-GP wrote:
25 Aug 2023, 21:49

https://i.postimg.cc/GmJ81kHW/image.png
That photo I believe was uploaded by Fabrega before FP1 took place (11:49 AM, around 40 minutes earlier) so that accident must have happened before, unless it kept happening again afterwards.
Good point.

KimiRai
KimiRai

AR3-GP wrote:
25 Aug 2023, 21:58
Good point.
Article from Giorgio Piola and Franco Nugnes says the following:

F1 | Aston Martin: Tail wing breaks during pit stops
The aerodynamicists of the Silverstone team are particularly creative and at Zandvoort they introduced the cantilevered tail wing of the deformable structure. It is a small flap that would be useful to improve the efficiency of the new diffuser. To use this solution, the rear lift of the car was also modified, but it wasn't enough because it broke during pit stop tests. It will be necessary to intervene again on the jack, given the time and money invested in the new idea.

Aston Martin promoted the new bottom of the AMR23 and the modified diffuser, but had to give up the tail wing, the small profile that had been cantilevered from the deformable structure, under the rear LED light. The function of this micro appendage was to make the extraction of the flow from the diffuser more efficient, improving the behavior of the beam wing.

The aerodynamicists at Silverstone therefore introduced this solution in the belief that they were optimizing a package of novelties which has the ambition of gradually bringing the "verdona" back to the role of second force it had maintained in the first half of the championship.

The tail wing (literally) was broken in the pit stop tests and, therefore, temporarily abandoned, although the Aston Martin technicians had modified the rear lift: in the image by Giorgio Piola you can see the version on the right standard made of composite materials which is characterized by the vertical tongue that embraces the deformable structure, preventing the car from sliding backwards.

In the roundel on the left, on the other hand, we note the revised and corrected lifter which was designed precisely to avoid damaging the tail fin. But evidently one thing is the tyre change tests carried out indoors at the factory and another thing is when you intervene on the field in the pit lane.

The spoiler lip also broke with the revised jack, so the solution will have to be further revised, otherwise the time that would be lost at a pit stop could nullify the aerodynamic advantage of the stunt. Since Silverstone has dedicated time and money to this idea, it is likely that modifications will be sought to be able to use it without problems.
https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-as ... /10511665/

KimiRai
KimiRai

They have removed the diffuser wing for the race likely due to those pitstop issues. I find it interesting though that you can indeed modify the jack, I thought they were standardised equipment.