2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Darth-Piekus

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

It's a pity though as Lando had two bad slips at the second sector and that costed a lot. No idea what happened to Piastri on that last lap as he was so much behind. When does the team expect to bring the last big upgrade package that has a new floor and sidepods?

MrGapes

Darth-Piekus wrote:
26 Aug 2023, 16:58
It's a pity though as Lando had two bad slips at the second sector and that costed a lot. No idea what happened to Piastri on that last lap as he was so much behind. When does the team expect to bring the last big upgrade package that has a new floor and sidepods?
Those exit slips were not worth 5 tenths :lol:

SilviuAgo

MrGapes wrote:
26 Aug 2023, 16:49
The laps weren’t perfect.. but I don’t think there was 5 tenths in it to secure pole…

- this forum is so frustrating to follow these days, the smallest error, or inconvenience and the entire thread erupts
Hahaha...so true. I was thinking the same. McLaren had, at season start, the worst car on the grid according to performance data. Now, the fans are mad if pole is out of reach and speaking about "at least 2-3". C'mon guys, all we want McLaren to be back on top, not only to win races but to also fight for championships..but this can not be done over night.
We are on the right track, we are now constant in Q3 and fight for pole with a fantastic Red Bull team, our time will come. I am sure.
So if we are real McLaren fans and suffered for more than 10 years, we can have some more patience. New simulator is almost running, new wind tunnel is live, the car updates are working...so not to long to first Lando's win. First Oscar's podium and so on.
Enjoy what we have in this moment and keep believing in a legendary team 💪💪
Last edited by SilviuAgo on 26 Aug 2023, 17:12, edited 1 time in total.

Darth-Piekus

That third upgrade package with the new floor, new sidepods and no idea what else it has might be the one that change the game if it is as good as the upgrade in Austria/Silverstone.

As for the other matter I would really have to clear up the misunderstanding that was caused before. I don't doubt Max Verstappen is a dominant driver at the moment but have in mind that his car is giving him a good advantage. Mclaren does seem to be the car to be close to Red Bull but I don't think we are on equal footing yet as Lando and Max are both taking out most of their cars performance but Red Bull is still slightly faster. Oscar does need experience but in my opinion his first year is going much better than what was Max and Lando's first years in their teams back in 2015 and 2019. Let's not forget Sainz beat Lando in 2019 and Max crashed with almost everyone from 2015 to 2017 gaining the nicknames Mad Max or Crashstappen. I want to see what Max can do under heavy pressure.
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 26 Aug 2023, 18:03, edited 1 time in total.

Scorpia
Scorpia

What satisfy me the most is that even tho lando and Oscar messed up their laps somewhat, we still have a 2-7. To all my fellow McLaren friends, just take it race by race. One good race doesn’t mean we are title contenders. And one bad doesn’t mean we are dead last.

Im optimistic for the future, but realistic about the effort, hard work and time it might take.

Let’s bring Saturday already!!

organic

Darth-Piekus wrote:
26 Aug 2023, 17:11
That third upgrade package with the new floor, new sidepods and no idea what else it has might be the one that change the game if it is as good as the upgrade in Austria/Silverstone.
Is there a confirmed third upgrade package with new floor/sidepods?

Darth-Piekus

I think they mentioned that they are gonna bring another iteration of the floor and sidepods. Stella I think mentioned it on an interview before summer break.

mwillems

Darth-Piekus wrote:
26 Aug 2023, 18:04
I think they mentioned that they are gonna bring another iteration of the floor and sidepods. Stella I think mentioned it on an interview before summer break.
He did indeed. That development is close to sign off I think.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

I suppose they might bring it in the next one or two races. It should be the last one of the season before we start on the new car.

mwillems

Well that was a good placement. Sadly I didn't get to watch. Which wing did they run in the end?

-Bandit

mwillems

Darth-Piekus wrote:
26 Aug 2023, 19:01
I suppose they might bring it in the next one or two races. It should be the last one of the season before we start on the new car.
I think sign off means it can be built, so expect 6 weeks or so. But maybe I am wrong.

-Bandit

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
26 Aug 2023, 19:02
Well that was a good placement. Sadly I didn't get to watch. Which wing did they run in the end?
Old rear wings

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

SmallSoldier wrote:
26 Aug 2023, 19:33
mwillems wrote:
Old rear wings
Interesting, the team will have reasons for that. Great quali lads, excited for tomorrow!

McL-H
McL-H

I love the progress the team has made. From worst to second best. The joy I find in being able to hope on a pole position is amazing and something I missed for a long time. The longer the anticipation to it happening, the better the feeling when it actually happens.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

MCLvamos wrote:
26 Aug 2023, 19:39
SmallSoldier wrote:
26 Aug 2023, 19:33
mwillems wrote:
Old rear wings
Interesting, the team will have reasons for that. Great quali lads, excited for tomorrow!
The old rear wing creates both, more downforce and more drag… Given the conditions (wet) and expecting the race to be also wet, it makes sense to go with the higher DF configuration possible