2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

MCLvamos wrote:
26 Aug 2023, 23:58
Just looked at the interview. I may have missed it but Lando only seemed to mention future weekends rather than Monza specifically. It also might be a case of them not running it to avoid breaching Parc Ferme with a lack of spares, as Lando said, due to Oscar's crash yesterday.

Highly doubt that is the Monza wing in its current form at least.
Please post a link, I didn't catch thus interview.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

mwillems wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 00:13

Here's where I saw it, the relevant part's around 17:40 in

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

MCLvamos wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 00:39
mwillems wrote:

Yeah he says either future weekend or weekends, hard to tell.

I still think they will use it for Monza, Singapore is 20 days away. Maybe wing flaps can be replaced for smaller ones? They are obviously not one piece.

f1rules
f1rules

Agree, sounds ridicules to use this wing there, and im pretty sure will not happen
They mentioned after spa they would look at their low df confiq as more gps were coming up for low df, if they run this tweaked one they will look worse then they did at spa
Edit:
Just heard Norris in the video, he said future weekends.

CjC wrote:
26 Aug 2023, 22:36
FittingMechanics wrote:
26 Aug 2023, 22:28
MCLvamos wrote:
26 Aug 2023, 19:39

Interesting, the team will have reasons for that. Great quali lads, excited for tomorrow!
SmallSoldier wrote:
26 Aug 2023, 20:12

The old rear wing creates both, more downforce and more drag… Given the conditions (wet) and expecting the race to be also wet, it makes sense to go with the higher DF configuration possible
No need to speculate. Norris explained it during the post qualy press conference. Reason they are running the previous wing is because they lost one of the new ones when Piastri crashed and they want to keep the other one for Monza. So I guess they decided that it is more important to have one for Monza than to gain more efficiency here. From how he said it, I think they would have run new rear wing here if they had enough of them. Probably similar to how only Norris got new updates in Austria - the team is pushing new developments quickly but hasn't been able to manufacture enough in time.

Btw another thing that he said is that he feels he lost 2-3 tenths due to double shift in S2.
CjC wrote:
26 Aug 2023, 22:08
Apologises if I’ve got hold of the wrong end of the stick but surely no one is expecting Mclaren to use the new rear wing they have at Zandvoort in Monza?
Well Norris said that was exactly the reason they did not use the new one here - they want to keep it for next weekend.

Thought that was quite interesting tidbit.
I am……. suprised. It’s a barn door!
Regardless the wing being more efficient or not the sheer amount of drag will kill them on the straight worse than it did at Spa!
Monza is all about the tea tray rear wings.
Unless they can heavily modify the wing to have less DF but I thought those days were over as they are now fully bonded pieces

MrGapes

Race thoughts:

I overall expect the race pace to be worse than qualifying pace relative to rest, as we already saw last year. The corner characteristics here can be quite different between low and high fuel, of these long medium speed corners you may take it at 120-130kph in qualifying. But that turns to 105-110kph at higher fuels, thus these corners are quite transitional between low and medium, so we may struggle on the first stints. So far, we have seen an offset performance between the MCL60 and other cars, where we lose into the lower speed we compensate for in the higher speed, this weekend the high-speed performance hasn’t been as great as previous weekends relatively speaking. The track surface in the high-speed section of 6-7-8 has a very rough track surface, we run the car quite low and stiff, thus can’t ride through these corners as well as Red Bull can. (Remember running lower and stiffer does help us in the med-low though)

Positives - obviously we have seen the pace translate better from qualifying to race pace, it’s also its very difficult to overtake here, and the Merc has more drag this weekend.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Guys, don't be fooled. We will see the updated rear wing in Singapore, Suzuka and possibly Mexico. For Monza, a rear wing with minimal downforce is being prepared.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

MrGapes wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 09:07
Race thoughts:

I overall expect the race pace to be worse than qualifying pace relative to rest, as we already saw last year. The corner characteristics here can be quite different between low and high fuel, of these long medium speed corners you may take it at 120-130kph in qualifying. But that turns to 105-110kph at higher fuels, thus these corners are quite transitional between low and medium, so we may struggle on the first stints. So far, we have seen an offset performance between the MCL60 and other cars, where we lose into the lower speed we compensate for in the higher speed, this weekend the high-speed performance hasn’t been as great as previous weekends relatively speaking. The track surface in the high-speed section of 6-7-8 has a very rough track surface, we run the car quite low and stiff, thus can’t ride through these corners as well as Red Bull can. (Remember running lower and stiffer does help us in the med-low though)

Positives - obviously we have seen the pace translate better from qualifying to race pace, it’s also its very difficult to overtake here, and the Merc has more drag this weekend.
But if the race is rainy, then your entire forecast for the first stint will completely fly by.

MrGapes

LionsHeart wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 09:21
MrGapes wrote:
Race thoughts:

But if the race is rainy, then your entire forecast for the first stint will completely fly by.
If its rainy (which the forecast suggest it could be) throw everything out the window, fp3 and quali. suggest someone will bin it every lap. :lol:

Yes a lot of my factors won't matter as much on a damper track, two talented drivers in wet conditions + Lando ran inters for 22 laps in fp3 and was able to keep improving on them till the very last lap... so the car is able to keep the inters is a good window.

CjC
CjC

MCLvamos wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Thanks.
Pleased to hear they are happy with the new wing and that there is extra laptime available to them.

We’ll have to see if they take a tea tray to Monza or not.
Just a fan's point of view

CjC
CjC

How close could Norris have gotten to Verstappen?
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/gps-a ... /10512146/

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 06:48
MCLvamos wrote:
mwillems wrote:

I still think they will use it for Monza, Singapore is 20 days away. Maybe wing flaps can be replaced for smaller ones? They are obviously not one piece.
Stella did say in a previous interview that this low hanging fruit "parallel development" was specifically to improve the straight line, so my belief is this will be at Monza, but we will see.

-Bandit

mwillems

CjC wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 10:34
How close could Norris have gotten to Verstappen?
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/gps-a ... /10512146/
Norris and fans are always saying "I could have been faster". Way more than he ever says he was fast. He needs those fast laps consistently as I've said before, before he can put himself up there with the best. Verstappen, Hamilton and Alonso have the talent to put in perfect lap after perfect lap.

Lando is fantastic and can be very fast, but IMO the next level for him is to be consistently putting in the best laps, especially when it counts in Qualy. He might have found more time, and he didn't, and it was down to nothing but his own talents, great as they are, they aren't consistently high enough to be considered elite.

Before anyone's back gets riled up, remember how long it took Max to find consistency, longer than many (But started younger), and like Lando that was his big step to reach his potential.
Last edited by mwillems on 27 Aug 2023, 10:50, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 09:21
MrGapes wrote:
Race thoughts:

Or even a little damp, anything that cools the tyres a little and works to our strength.

Forecast suggests a good chance of rain during the race. Some suggest heavy, some suggest 50/50, but it looks like there may well be something. A curious afternoon ahead, but I'm hoping we can secure top 5 at worst.

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

mwillems wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 10:35
FittingMechanics wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 06:48
MCLvamos wrote:

Stella did say in a previous interview that this low hanging fruit "parallel development" was specifically to improve the straight line, so my belief is this will be at Monza, but we will see.
Could the low hanging fruit be the new rear wing we saw this weekend? And they saw its potential as they were developing a low DF wing for Monza

Marc.W

Potentially it was beneficial to test the new end plates to see what kind of performance they offered for drag and effeciency this weekend but obviously can't test a full Monza spec wing?