2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
organic

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

KimiRai wrote:
26 Aug 2023, 17:45
if we trust those top speed numbers and we also delete the ferraris from the comparison due to them running a compromised low downforce setup due to their issues, aston have decent top speed, only 5km from redbulls. they definitely improved that since the start of the season (which might have unbalanced the car and caused other issues, but its an improvement for sure). it doesn't seem to be anymore the bahrain amr23 that forced fernando to overtake in impossible places due to lack of top speed, so it will be interesting to check the top speeds at Monza as well to confirm the trend .
In high dwf configuration prior to this weekend amr were the quickest in the straight-line iirc and RB have always been average-slow in high dwf since the beginning of 2022. RB have brought a beamwing upgrade that has seemed to give them that ridiculous drs topspeed that they have in medium/low trim.

So comparing to the others (Merc, McLaren) who RB were amongst at other high dwf tracks (Spain, Hungary) amr are still ahead in that regard

Here is Hungary just to show where amr have usually been relative to RB at high dwf

KimiRai
KimiRai

organic wrote:
26 Aug 2023, 18:12
KimiRai wrote:
if we trust those top speed numbers and we also delete the ferraris from the comparison due to them running a compromised low downforce setup due to their issues, aston have decent top speed, only 5km from redbulls. they definitely improved that since the start of the season (which might have unbalanced the car and caused other issues, but its an improvement for sure). it doesn't seem to be anymore the bahrain amr23 that forced fernando to overtake in impossible places due to lack of top speed, so it will be interesting to check the top speeds at Monza as well to confirm the trend .
In high dwf configuration prior to this weekend amr were the quickest in the straight-line iirc and RB have always been average-slow in high dwf since the beginning of 2022. RB have brought a beamwing upgrade that has seemed to give them that ridiculous drs topspeed that they have in medium/low trim.

So comparing to the others (Merc, McLaren) who RB were amongst at other high dwf tracks (Spain, Hungary) amr are still ahead in that regard

Here is Hungary just to show where amr have usually been relative to RB at high dwf

https://i.imgur.com/Iw8G0tx.jpeg
thanks for the reply. It would seem that the drag reduction objectives were successful, even if that might have triggered unwanted side effects along the way.

diffuser

organic wrote:
26 Aug 2023, 18:12
KimiRai wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/Iw8G0tx.jpeg
The forcast says 80% chance of rain for the race. Flip a coin for tomorrow's results.

peewon

organic wrote:
26 Aug 2023, 17:00
This was another weekend with conditions that don't favour the car. Dry conditions would be better. And the race pace will likely be better than quali; Albon should fall back and Alonso may be able to fight for p3 maybe even p2. Depends on how quick Perez/Piastri are behind
Albon may fall back, but theres no way they can compete with Russell. Merc tyre deg has been otherworldly since the Pirelli changes. Perez might be hard to keep behind, Piastri should be doable as they have worse tyre deg. P4 is the best case (barring any lucky breaks like reliability or crash for others) as how I see it. P5 most realistic.

issey
issey

peewon wrote:
26 Aug 2023, 19:51
organic wrote:
This was another weekend with conditions that don't favour the car. Dry conditions would be better. And the race pace will likely be better than quali; Albon should fall back and Alonso may be able to fight for p3 maybe even p2. Depends on how quick Perez/Piastri are behind
Albon may fall back, but theres no way they can compete with Russell. Merc tyre deg has been otherworldly since the Pirelli changes. Perez might be hard to keep behind, Piastri should be doable as they have worse tyre deg. P4 is the best case (barring any lucky breaks like reliability or crash for others) as how I see it. P5 most realistic.
Aston Martin will have similar tyre deg as Mercedes they only had bad tyre deg in the last races because of bad balance, a nervous rear and so much sliding means bad tyre wear. Now with the latest updates the balance is back and no more oversteer or understeer, no more sliding the car is like planted to the track. They will have low tyre deg. If the race is dry a podium is possible, Alonso was on the long run with the old floor and hards only 2 tenths slower than Norris on softs. But if the race is wet what it’s likely to be, than maybe P5 because since the latest upgrades the AMR23 don’t have so much drag anymore what should mean worse performance in the wet

Juzh

peewon wrote:
organic wrote:
Perez has shown zero pace so far this weekend, I think Alo can beat him.

peewon

issey wrote:
26 Aug 2023, 20:25
peewon wrote:
organic wrote:
Aston Martin will have similar tyre deg as Mercedes they only had bad tyre deg in the last races because of bad balance, a nervous rear and so much sliding means bad tyre wear. Now with the latest updates the balance is back and no more oversteer or understeer, no more sliding the car is like planted to the track. They will have low tyre deg. If the race is dry a podium is possible, Alonso was on the long run with the old floor and hards only 2 tenths slower than Norris on softs. But if the race is wet what it’s likely to be, than maybe P5 because since the latest upgrades the AMR23 don’t have so much drag anymore what should mean worse performance in the wet
Yeah AM is not too bad on deg but Merc definitely still better. On the long runs, Mercs were the best. I know Alonso was running the old floor but its extrapolation and even then its too tight so the edge goes to better tyre deg and track position. If the race is wet then track position becomes more important, but anything can happen.

peewon

Juzh wrote:
26 Aug 2023, 22:02
peewon wrote:
organic wrote:
Its possible but the pace difference is too much I feel. If its a wet race then Id probably take Alonso to keep him behind.

organic

Juzh wrote:
peewon wrote:
organic wrote:
Idk Perez's fp2 long run was pretty good. The average I saw (not Toni's chart) had him 1 tenth quicker than ham's average on mediums

If it rains at all, Alonso will beat Perez though

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Juzh wrote:
peewon wrote:
organic wrote:
Perez is confusing though. Take weekends like Turkey 2021, or Singapore 2022. An uncanny ability to hang on for dear life only when pressured.

diffuser

peewon wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 01:04
issey wrote:
26 Aug 2023, 20:25
peewon wrote:

Yeah AM is not too bad on deg but Merc definitely still better. On the long runs, Mercs were the best. I know Alonso was running the old floor but its extrapolation and even then its too tight so the edge goes to better tyre deg and track position. If the race is wet then track position becomes more important, but anything can happen.
Merc had the edge on front limited tracks, we don't know if that has changed with the upgrades. Aston had the edge on rear limited tracks.

diffuser

AR3-GP wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 01:22
Juzh wrote:
peewon wrote:

Perez is confusing though. Take weekends like Turkey 2021, or Singapore 2022. An uncanny ability to hang on for dear life only when pressured.
He's good but not that good in the rain.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

diffuser wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 04:35
AR3-GP wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 01:22
Juzh wrote:

He's good but not that good in the rain.
That was my point. He's not so good in the rain and finds himself falling backwards into the clutches of the others, but then no one can actually pass him. Remember his defending from Leclerc last year in Imola and Singapore and Hamilton in Turkey 2021. He never should have been languishing behind in the first place but then no one actually manages to pass him.

max_speed
max_speed

Lets hope for a podium and it will mark the reversal in fortunes and team can start focus again on closing the gap.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Was expected... good idea but not practical at least for now, lets see if they can make it work in future races.