2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Darth-Piekus

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Still what done is done. We have a race in slippery conditions with a car that is perfect in those conditions heating up the tyres very quickly. Dont be surprised if our drivers are able to pass a lot in just one or two laps. There should be plenty of areas to pass. 8 Laps on full rain are enough to change everything.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

I assume that the resumption of the race will not be?

Seerix
Seerix

I'd expect them to restart behind SC with everyone on inters until someone bins it again.

mwillems

Seerix wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 16:52
I'd expect them to restart behind SC with everyone on inters until someone bins it again.
Is it mandatory wets behind SC?
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Seerix
Seerix

mwillems wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 16:54
Seerix wrote:
I hear that rule was changed recently, but I don't really have a source, just heard it somewhere :/

organic

mwillems wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 16:54
Seerix wrote:
No. They made exemption this weekend. Can run inters behind SC

MrGapes

Emag wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 16:42
If that next package fixes this major weakness they have, then McLaren will have a scary car on their hand.

It's crazy that they lose around 0.4s in two corners in s2, but are pretty much the fastest car in s1 and the penultimate corner.

This polarizing trait they have, where the strengths are pretty strong, but the weaknesses are pretty weak, make for a pretty annoying race.

But considering where they came from, its difficult to complain.

Assuming all things stay the same, I guess Suzuka would be the next good track for us.
This is why we are so good when we are in free air not racing others, I can name several instances this year, Baku turn 16, Miami 16-18, Saudi 27, Spain 10-12, Canada 10, Austria 3, Spa 1, all these corners lead to important overtaking straights, what do they all have in common - they are either long slow corners.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

MrGapes wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 16:46
Emag wrote:
If that next package fixes this major weakness they have, then McLaren will have a scary car on their hand.

It's crazy that they lose around 0.4s in two corners in s2, but are pretty much the fastest car in s1 and the penultimate corner.

This polarizing trait they have, where the strengths are pretty strong, but the weaknesses are pretty weak, make for a pretty annoying race.

Assuming all things stay the same, I guess Suzuka would be the next good track for us.
Yes! if some people here took time to look at the onboards and saw how god awful those two corners are you'd see why we can't close up, before the last corner you need to be within atleast 6 tenths to pass on the straight, whilst we were stuck at 7-8 cause we lost nearly 0.5 in two corners and out of 12.
Lacking a bit of front end and it is exacerbated by been in dirty air… Almost on every lap, Lando’s front tires were sliding ever time, which prevents you from going into the power early and therefore lose time to the car in front.

Still work to be done, but the fact that even though the start of the race was less than ideal with the strategy call… McLaren now has a car that at least allows them to fight back, not a huge pace delta that allows them to fly through the field, but they can fight to try to get back into the points and that is considerable progress considering where they came from.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

If this graphic that F1TV is showing, Lando and Piastri have a new soft set available? Which I find strange as I don't think it was reported they have many soft sets available.

No new inters available.

mwillems

Looks like inters anyway.

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 16:59
Looks like inters anyway.
They will throw away this dry spell by waiting.

MrGapes

SmallSoldier wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 16:55
MrGapes wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 16:46
Emag wrote:

Yes! if some people here took time to look at the onboards and saw how god awful those two corners are you'd see why we can't close up, before the last corner you need to be within atleast 6 tenths to pass on the straight, whilst we were stuck at 7-8 cause we lost nearly 0.5 in two corners and out of 12.
Lacking a bit of front end and it is exacerbated by been in dirty air… Almost on every lap, Lando’s front tires were sliding ever time, which prevents you from going into the power early and therefore lose time to the car in front.

Still work to be done, but the fact that even though the start of the race was less than ideal with the strategy call… McLaren now has a car that at least allows them to fight back, not a huge pace delta that allows them to fly through the field, but they can fight to try to get back into the points and that is considerable progress considering where they came from.
Watching the under rotation pass the min. speed phase is still frustrating after all these races...

but I think this is a very reasonable take, the car before Austria would probably still be where it was after the second round of pitstops.

mwillems

Emag wrote:

Polarising compared to RB. Not so bad compared to those around us. I wouldn't say it's awful, it's just the area kept to address. Low speed mid corner and exit.

Entry is OK if not pretty.

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

If it wasnt for that mistake at the start I am confident Lando could have brought it on P2. But what done is done. Perhaps with Intermediates the conditions will favor Mclaren to do some passes in those 8 laps. It's a pity though that the FIA are cowards to do a fully wet race. What is the point of wet tyres at all? I don't like the Rolling Start though as I was hoping for a standing start for more chaos.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Darth-Piekus wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 17:08
If it wasnt for that mistake at the start I am confident Lando could have brought it on P2. But what done is done. Perhaps with Intermediates the conditions will favor Mclaren to do some passes in those 8 laps. It's a pity though that the FIA are cowards to do a fully wet race. What is the point of wet tyres at all?
At least they did not stop the race due to rain, they stopped because Zhou was in the wall.

2 laps behind safety car - rolling start. Time to shine.