2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

About lap 1/2 pitstops.

Team wanted to stay out, they told Lando that the rain was easing off. This is why they stayed out, expecting that loss from two pitstops inter changers will be bigger than time lost from running on softs.

Next lap around Lando was pushing for tyre change, team told him to stay out if he can keep it on track, he asked for tyres, they accepted.

Piastri did not push for inters and thus he stayed out. After inters fell off, Piastri was P8 with Lando in P12 or so. But then Piastri flatspotted his tyres trying to overtake Magnussen, he pitted and then safety car happened.

In short, Lando wanted to pit but team wanted to stay out. They underestimated effect of the rain so they never thought about pitting on lap 1.
Last edited by FittingMechanics on 27 Aug 2023, 19:22, edited 1 time in total.

Seerix
Seerix

I just watched Lando's onboard. Noone from team suggested pitting for inters. Lando himself asked to pit when he pitted while Jose told him "we are faster than inters cars" while being overtaken by 3 cars :D

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

[quote=Seerix post_id=1155396 time=1693156919 user_id=42786]
I just watched Lando's onboard. Noone from team suggested pitting for inters. Lando himself asked to pit when he pitted while Jose told him "we are faster than inters cars" :D
[/quote]
Yes, that was too late. Lap 1 was ideal (Perez), lap 2 was good (Verstappen, ...).

Lap 3 was awful (you lost 10 places).

Staying out was bad as well but since inter runners did not pit for softs as soon as they fell off (expecting new rain), Piastri was able to claw back some time. Lando would have probably been better to stay out if he didn't crash.

Seerix
Seerix

FittingMechanics wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 19:24
Seerix wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 19:21
I just watched Lando's onboard. Noone from team suggested pitting for inters. Lando himself asked to pit when he pitted while Jose told him "we are faster than inters cars" :D
Yes, that was too late. Lap 1 was ideal (Perez), lap 2 was good (Verstappen, ...).

Staying out was bad as well but since inter runners did not pit for softs as soon as they fell off (expecting new rain), Piastri was able to claw back some time. Lando would have probably been better to stay out if he didn't crash.
I agree. Perhaps I misunderstood, but I thought someone said Lando overruled the team to stay out.
Also the radio "we are faster than inters cars" made me laugh, that was bizarre.
They should have split the strategy and pit at least one of them is my opinion.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

After today's race, I've been thinking. The thought occurred to me that the team would no longer catch up with Ferrari in the Constructors' Championship. McLaren will remain in 5th place.

Of course, there are pluses, next year there will be a lot of time in the wind tunnel. So to say the new wind tunnel will work in full. :)

Ben1980
Ben1980

Did anyone seriously think they woukd overtake Ferrari? That's just wishful thinking. The car is better, it nay even be good. But its not so good to guarantee top few spots every race.

5th place, with a handful of podiums after that start. I'll take it.

Szabi1112
Szabi1112

What a disappointing race. Our wet race pace was slow comparing to RBR, AM, Mercedes which is quite surprising, top speed is still a huge problem..

What we did in the first laps doesn't make sense. Why didn't we divide the strategy between our cars? I didn't believe what we were doing. seriously..

Ercole
Ercole

Hi guys,
do you think Monza will be suitable for McLaren?

mwillems

Seerix wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 19:32
FittingMechanics wrote:
Seerix wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 19:21

I agree. Perhaps I misunderstood, but I thought someone said Lando overruled the team to stay out.
Also the radio "we are faster than inters cars" made me laugh, that was bizarre.
The radio call was likely a lap late lol
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Seerix
Seerix

mwillems wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 20:13
Seerix wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 19:32
FittingMechanics wrote:

The radio call was likely a lap late lol
Yeah it's weird, like he looked at last lap times or something. In changing conditions you can't really be looking at 1 minute old data. Only last minisectors paint the picture.

btw very nice double stack during the 2nd rain window, that one went well.

Darth-Piekus

They had the ability to double stack them in the first rain as Oscar was behind some seconds. It's a pity they screwed up the strategy there but what done is done. Onwards to Monza and see what Low DF set up they bring.

mwillems

mclaren111 wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 14:38
mwillems wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 14:23
Hopefully a decent stint in the rain will mitigate this a little. Forecast has 82% chance of rain in the first half hour, and a 50% chance at the end.

On the race tread it says dry race... :lol: :lol:
BBC wins vs Race Thread :D

-Bandit

mwillems

Darth-Piekus wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 22:04
They had the ability to double stack them in the first rain as Oscar was behind some seconds. It's a pity they screwed up the strategy there but what done is done. Onwards to Monza and see what Low DF set up they bring.
OMG can someone do a count of how many times he's mentioned the strategy mistake??! :mrgreen:

Edit: Why don't you put all your complaints in your signature, to save typing them out each time?

-Bandit

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Tough race, but a Russell quote from today sticks out "I'd rather have a good car and bad day than the other way round". Alpine can have their moment today. Hopefully, the team learns from this and we can challenge in what looks like similar conditions next weekend.

Also, I think the new wing would have helped in that comeback drive today, especially when Lando was stuck behind Tsunoda. I suspected the old draggier wing may have caused us problems if any racy situations arised.

I think next week the team will bring a cutout wing with the new philosophy or perhaps even a low DF special with Vegas also in mind. Hopefully, we can bounce back strong and keep the momentum up! My goal for the team is 5 podiums this year, don't think that's too unrealistic.

ScottR267
ScottR267

mwillems wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 22:08
Darth-Piekus wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 22:04
OMG can someone do a count of how many times he's mentioned the strategy mistake??! :mrgreen:

Edit: Why don't you put all your complaints in your signature, to save typing them out each time?
Be careful mate, you’ll be accused of personal attacks 🫣😅