2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
organic

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

It is on the team to be ready even if the driver doesn't call to pit... Ferrari should have been ready for one of their drivers to want inters given we knew this shower was happening for a long time prior to its arrival.. didn't come out of nowhere.

Leclerc made the right call, unlike many other drivers so credit for that despite not a great Sunday overall

FW17

Charles feels driving for Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team is better than winning WDCs

scuderiabrandon

FW17 wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 11:29
https://twitter.com/Vetteleclerc/status ... 0253291737

"In the sense that being a Ferrari driver has always been my dream and becoming world champion with Ferrari is my goal."

Did you read past the 1st sentence?

And how you even got to that conclusion from reading that tweet idk tbh

scuderiabrandon

It starting drizzling on the formation lap, Ferrari should've been ready to receive at leat one car, uh like the other teams who pit on lap 1?? How are you guys blaming this on Charles??

And secondly even then the net gian was still bigger than staying out.

FW17

scuderiabrandon wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 11:50
FW17 wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 11:29
https://twitter.com/Vetteleclerc/status ... 0253291737

"In the sense that being a Ferrari driver has always been my dream and becoming world champion with Ferrari is my goal."

Did you read past the 1st sentence?

And how you even got to that conclusion from reading that tweet idk tbh
Just kidding

gordonthegun

scuderiabrandon wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 00:03
gordonthegun wrote:
26 Aug 2023, 23:53
It's not only understeer.

if you look at the onboard, just after the turn apex, Leclerc had a slight oversteer which he countersteered going wider, reaching the slippery wet grass and being thus unable to avoid at least the barriers.

The problem here in this specific incident is how quickly the balanced shifted form understeer to oversteer and the back to understeer. How do you as a driver react to such random shift in balance?
As a driver I would react leaving Ferrari asap.

Vanja #66

The decision not to call both cars at the first lap to pit was thoroughly disappointing. Well, the disappointing bit is that the wall wasn't even prepared for rain and that option... At least Sainz would have had a chance for a better finish, likely ahead of Gasly. A complete overhaul of strategy department is needed, we've been saying that for a while and leaving things as they are will mean no titles even with a dominant car.

Decent job from Sainz in the race, finally a clean one from him where didn't lose any points. Whether more were available is another question, mostly for Ferrari wall.

Contact with Piastri strikes a Ferrari 2nd race in a row, you can't even write a script like that. No luck for Leclerc, he has to do everything the hard way this season.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Xyz22
Xyz22

Sevach wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 20:53
Xyz22 wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 20:16

Race over for this. Thoughts?
Piastri did nothing wrong, Charles gambled and lost.
Good result by Carlos.
As for the team... slower than Alpine, i just want 2023 to end.
9 more races thanks to Domenicani

gordonthegun

Vanja #66 wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 12:24
The decision not to call both cars at the first lap to pit was thoroughly disappointing. Well, the disappointing bit is that the wall wasn't even prepared for rain and that option... At least Sainz would have had a chance for a better finish, likely ahead of Gasly. A complete overhaul of strategy department is needed, we've been saying that for a while and leaving things as they are will mean no titles even with a dominant car.

Decent job from Sainz in the race, finally a clean one from him where didn't lose any points. Whether more were available is another question, mostly for Ferrari wall.

Contact with Piastri strikes a Ferrari 2nd race in a row, you can't even write a script like that. No luck for Leclerc, he has to do everything the hard way this season.
I've been thinking for at least 13 years that a overhaul of every department is needed.
We will see if Vasseur, who seems so determined, can change things.
This Ferrari doesn't deserve Leclerc's skill.

Vanja #66

gordonthegun wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 12:40
I've said it a while ago, if they don't improve in every department they don't deserve either of the two drivers.

Turrini mentioned over the summer break that Elkann is not as interested in F1 success as he is in WEC/Le Mans. The results in the past 5 years have a different perspective if this is true.

#BlessYouLaddie

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

Special team kit for Monza.

KimiRai
KimiRai

gordonthegun wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 12:21
scuderiabrandon wrote:
The problem here in this specific incident is how quickly the balanced shifted form understeer to oversteer and the back to understeer. How do you as a driver react to such random shift in balance?
It's not that easy. A driver before did exactly what you suggest, Alonso, when Ferrari built one of the worst balanced cars they've ever had with the F14T (even the name being similar to "FIAT" seems like a joke).

Look what happened to him. He thought Ferrari was bad but he was for an even worse surprise with McHonda. So where would you want Charles to go? It could well get worse than Ferrari wherever he chooses.
Last edited by KimiRai on 28 Aug 2023, 14:14, edited 1 time in total.

gordonthegun

Vanja #66 wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 13:21
gordonthegun wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 12:40
I've said it a while ago, if they don't improve in every department they don't deserve either of the two drivers.

Turrini mentioned over the summer break that Elkann is not as interested in F1 success as he is in WEC/Le Mans. The results in the past 5 years have a different perspective if this is true.
It's my opinion too.
To win a Championship, for Elkann and his investment fund cronies, winning doesn't pay off financially.
You need to spend more than the (eventual) victory will earn you.

When your name is "Ferrari" if you haven't won for 16 years it is clear that the problem comes from the management who don't want to put in place the conditions to be successful.

Now the management of Ferrari has become FINANCIAL, not sporting, competitive or technical.
Money rules and if you get more of it by losing, it's okay to lose.

Given all of this, what can make things change?
Tifosi revolt?
Well, they seem to have blinders on, and after each incredible defeat they keep on saying "come on Ferrari, always and in any case".

gordonthegun

KimiRai wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 14:09
gordonthegun wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 12:21
scuderiabrandon wrote:
It's not that easy. A driver before did exactly what you suggest, Alonso, when Ferrari built one of the worst balanced cars they've ever had with the F14T (even the name being similar to "FIAT" seems like a joke).

Look what happened to him. He thought Ferrari was bad but he was for an even worse surprise with McHonda. So where would you want Charles to go?
In my opinion, Alonso made an error, misjudging McLaren new Power Unit supplier.

Honda already had a one-year delay in the new hybrid engines, so critical for every other team (except Mercedes).
He had to imagine that success might have been unlikely.

Vanja #66

gordonthegun wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 14:12
When your name is "Ferrari" if you haven't won for 16 years it is clear that the problem comes from the management who don't want to put in place the conditions to be successful.
It is crazy when you think about it. First, under di Montezemolo and Domenicalli, you have a fairly decent team in terms of on-track operations, but the technical team is hindered by the lack of proper simulation tools (a left-over of Schumi-era where there was unlimited testing, so who needs simulation tools).

Then, under Marchionne and Arrivabene, technical team gradually gets better, but the PU is still slightly lacking and strategy dept. starts making slip-ups.

Then, we have Elkann and Binotto, where Binotto is very slowly building things up with mostly the same team but still they fail spectacularly - and especially with SF-23.

I remember Andi saying (and wasn't the first time I heard that) di Montezemolo was back to his old self as soon as Brawn left Ferrari, taking charge and overturning car-related decisions engineers already made. Then, Marchionne allegedly decided to Italianise the team even further, which wasn't too bad overall but you still miss a chance to take some outsiders and learn what other teams are doing first-hand.

So far, Vasseur is not making any of the mistakes of recent predecessors. But still remains to be seen. From the technical side, there are 2 major issues that the 2024 car must not suffer from:
- poor tyre management when the conditions are not ideal
- poor aerodynamic stability when the setup is not ideal (insufficient front wing downforce is a huge part of this)

If either of these 2 issues is still present in 2024, then we know the technical department is still lacking quite a lot compared to (at least) RB unfortunately.

#BlessYouLaddie