2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ringo

Re: 2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

The team had nothing to lose pitting Hamilton from the back of the field. This team just does not think on their feet.
Maybe too data driven.
But the best way to know the right thing to do is to copy redbull, especially on the first stint. If you are at the front, then copy Max. If you are at the back, copy Perez. Redbull will give Perez a good strategy to move him up the feild. Max will get optimum to maintain his position.
Hamilton could have easily been on the podium today with George. Ferrari imploded as usual.
The car seems decent. It's actually around second best now. The Aston was handy, but it was hard to judge because of the chaos in the rain, and I feel it would not be so all rounded on the up coming tracks.
For Sure!!

Matt2725
Matt2725

I'm still convinced Mercedes are strategising like a team that think they can still claw back any deficit within a race.

They're far too conservative yet again.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Matt2725 wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 22:11
I'm still convinced Mercedes are strategising like a team that think they can still claw back any deficit within a race.

They're far too conservative yet again.
I don't think it has anything to do with how they perceive the car's pace. I just think this is what it is. There's a desire to do the best possible job, naturally, but that desire may not match what they are able to execute on the day.

Hamilton could have had a better result if he pitted on lap 1. Hindsight is 20/20 of course.

F1Krof

Their strategy decisions making tools seem to be outdated. They behave like they have the fastest car like back in 2016. So conservative and very dependent on the data. They need to re-energize and take risks with at least one of the cars.

Man they do need Nikki to shake them out of the nightmare limbo they're living. Awful execution of the race!

And what's with the consistent slow pitstops? Again they execute the pitstops like they have 2 seconds on hand to the second team.

What a joke!
Wroom wroom

organic

They've been caught flat footed many times in strategy over the years. It's just now it's visible in the majority of race weekends since they're racing many other cars, rather than the occasional race when someone else's car is within touching distance

I'm pretty sure many fans of the team even said this when they were winning championships with dominance. There is margin to improve in this regard.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

organic wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 23:10
They've been caught flat footed many times in strategy over the years. It's just now it's visible in the majority of race weekends since they're racing many other cars, rather than the occasional race when someone else's car is within touching distance

I'm pretty sure many fans of the team even said this when they were winning championships with dominance. There is margin to improve in this regard.
The team are lucky that they have a pair of drivers skilled/fast enough to make up places even though they've been dealt a slightly less than stellar hand.

It sometimes feels as if the team still think they have an RB19-equivalent on track. The drivers - today Hamilton drove extremely well, for example - have covered for some of those mistakes.

True, on other days, it'll go the other way and the team will help the driver after a mistake.

That's racing.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Alex_Z
Alex_Z

F1Krof wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 23:07
Their strategy decisions making tools seem to be outdated. They behave like they have the fastest car like back in 2016. So conservative and very dependent on the data. They need to re-energize and take risks with at least one of the cars.

Man they do need Nikki to shake them out of the nightmare limbo they're living. Awful execution of the race!

And what's with the consistent slow pitstops? Again they execute the pitstops like they have 2 seconds on hand to the second team.

What a joke!
The pitstops are a total joke for a top team, they have 1 pitstop that is <2.5s all season and that came in Bahrain. Redbull, Ferrari & McLaren consistently have 2.2-2.4s stops every race week. The likes of Alpha Tauri, Aston and Alpine have quicker stops too. Are they using outdated tools? I know Magnussen stated a lack of resources was the reason for Haas' slow stops last year but that shouldn't be an issue for a team as big as Merc. Toto needs to be pulled up on this by a journalist

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... d0hLK.html

chrisc90

Alex_Z wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 23:40

The pitstops are a total joke for a top team, they have 1 pitstop that is <2.5s all season and that came in Bahrain. Redbull, Ferrari & McLaren consistently have 2.2-2.4s stops every race week. The likes of Alpha Tauri, Aston and Alpine have quicker stops too. Are they using outdated tools? I know Magnussen stated a lack of resources was the reason for Haas' slow stops last year but that shouldn't be an issue for a team as big as Merc. Toto needs to be pulled up on this by a journalist

I think they are topped only by Ferrari at the minute.

Pitstops - like you detailed - and the strategy has really 'come to light' now that Mercedes are no longer comfortably in the lead and could afford a slight blunder on the pitstop or strategy bench. I think from 2021 onwards it has really highlighted the fact that the strategy and decision making is highly questionable.

I mean starting Lewis on Mediums today when there was a shower inbound of about 5minutes away - then keeping him out expecting the rain to clear. Would have been better off starting him on inters and probably would have been in the lead come lap 2/3.

Alex_Z
Alex_Z

chrisc90 wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 23:44
Alex_Z wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 23:40

I think they are topped only by Ferrari at the minute.

Pitstops - like you detailed - and the strategy has really 'come to light' now that Mercedes are no longer comfortably in the lead and could afford a slight blunder on the pitstop or strategy bench. I think from 2021 onwards it has really highlighted the fact that the strategy and decision making is highly questionable.

I mean starting Lewis on Mediums today when there was a shower inbound of about 5minutes away - then keeping him out expecting the rain to clear. Would have been better off starting him on inters and probably would have been in the lead come lap 2/3.
Ferrari have very good pitstop times when they remember to have the tires ready beforehand, they are 2nd in the DHL pitstop standings. The pitstops are worse than the strategy because it's an issue every race week. Strategy in the first 5 laps was totally wrong but they weren't the only team, McLaren got it horribly wrong too, even RB with Max. Aston Martin threw away a win in Monaco which was worse than today. On the whole Merc strategy has been OK so far this season but I accept they can be far too cautious.

organic

Ferrari despite their quick pitstops lost a lot of points in a possible championship fight last year due to these bad stops. Such as a possible fight for win at Miami. They are quick but inconsistent. The only thing worse is slow and inconsistent.

Merc straddle the line between slow and consistent, and slow and inconsistent.

I believe this is why their pitstops have been slow for years: they wish to not make errors with the stops rather than chase every tenth. But it seems this doesn't work in practice. Other teams show you can be just as consistent if not more consistent whilst being quicker.

CMC
CMC

organic wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 00:01
Ferrari despite their quick pitstops lost a lot of points in a possible championship fight last year due to these bad stops. Such as a possible fight for win at Miami. They are quick but inconsistent. The only thing worse is slow and inconsistent.

Merc straddle the line between slow and consistent, and slow and inconsistent.

I believe this is why their pitstops have been slow for years: they wish to not make errors with the stops rather than chase every tenth. But it seems this doesn't work in practice. Other teams show you can be just as consistent if not more consistent whilst being quicker.
Yes, it really seems their pit stop philosophy is still based on their many consecutive years having a winning car. In those seasons Merc could easily afford losing a second or two of total race time taking a more cautious approach to the pit stop. Their slower stops rarely ever cost them a track position. Now they aren't always out front, I can't help but feel like they should consider a more aggressive approach. There have been stops in these last 2 seasons where an extra half second has cost one or the other of the Merc drivers track position, and the W13/14 has not always been the best at overtaking, even slower cars.

I wish they gave me the impression their team was more nimble and adaptable, and I feel this shows through in conservative race strategy sometimes, also.

Contrast their pit approach to RB, who are now way out front on race day, still routinely completing their stops in ~2 seconds.

organic

Racefans accidentally published a drafted article earlier. Consisted of info from an "insider" source that Hamilton's new contract is signed

ringo

I guess in time we will know if its a one year or multi year deal.
It's in mercedes best interest to give him a multi year deal. And it's in his best interest to do one year at a time, just in case a better car pops up.
Maybe a redbull seat. Lol
For Sure!!

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Hamilton said he wouldn't drive for another team.

Cs98
Cs98

ringo wrote:
30 Aug 2023, 04:24
I guess in time we will know if its a one year or multi year deal.
It's in mercedes best interest to give him a multi year deal. And it's in his best interest to do one year at a time, just in case a better car pops up.
Maybe a redbull seat. Lol
He'll be angling for a multi-year deal. He's already in the team that best serves his ambitions of winning another championship, given all better options are off the table. Merc knows that. And with age it becomes more and more risky to do short extensions given your performance can decline. Better to sign something like a 3 year deal now when his stock is high. Would mean he sees out 24-25 and then gets to see what Merc can do for 2026.