2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

LionsHeart wrote:
31 Aug 2023, 09:25
mwillems wrote:
31 Aug 2023, 09:04
Stella saying again it will be an adaption of existing wings and not a bespoke low DF wing. the race suggesting it won't be enough. I feel optimistic though, maybe without reason.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/mclaren- ... y%20needed.
Ah, ok. It's much simpler, cheaper, and probably doesn't require lengthy tests and simulations. If it is possible to make a deep cut of the rear wing, once again optimize and reduce the beam of the wing, that is, cut the option that is already considered to be with reduced drag, then the team can compensate for the drag, even if this is not enough. Anyway.
He did mention that it would be an adaptation that would include the changes they made at Spa, but I'm not sure what he is referring to. As you say, they could still do a severe cut out that isn't optimal but still much better than what we have.

It is because of the resource required to create a dedicated low DF RW in a short time that I thought it wouldn't happen, since Spa when they spoke about doing something we had the two week shutdown and we already brought one adaptation, if they could now bring a dedicated low DF wing for Monza it has either been in dev for some time and Stella has been not straight in his interviews, or they are doing the mightiest and fastest development work I have ever seen. Given that it can only be used for a couple of races this year and next year they'll need a new one, is it worth the expense? I'd rather use the time on next years car.

But still not actual pictures, so maybe they will surprise us.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I bet that we will see a new spec rear wing tested in Zandvoort (but not raced) in addition to reduced horizontal wing area (whether by shaving or another profile, no idea). I doubt McLaren would run old spec at Zandvoort if it was not going to use this one for Monza.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

FittingMechanics wrote:
31 Aug 2023, 09:44
I bet that we will see a new spec rear wing tested in Zandvoort (but not raced) in addition to reduced horizontal wing area (whether by shaving or another profile, no idea). I doubt McLaren would run old spec at Zandvoort if it was not going to use this one for Monza.
Are you talking about the wing that Oscar destroyed? It is suitable for tracks where high downforce is required. Here in Monza, no one will use it, even if the team decides to cut off a significant area of ​​the top flap. As I wrote repeatedly and because of which there was an argument earlier, the team will rather decide to modify a wing that has already been used on tracks where high downforce is not required. We have such a wing and have already used it in the Spa. It does not generate much peak downforce, the main profile has a medium area, and the size and angle of attack of the upper flap is also optimal for tracks where medium downforce is required.

In 2021, McLaren already did a similar trick: the Monza used the rear wing that was used in the Spa of the same year, but the top flap was cut off at the top along the entire length a few centimeters deep, and this undercut is good. As I understand from Stella's last words, they will do the same this time.

https://ibb.co/Cs0t05G
https://ibb.co/c8S9CNQ
https://ibb.co/jTkM6R7
Last edited by LionsHeart on 31 Aug 2023, 10:02, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
31 Aug 2023, 09:54
FittingMechanics wrote:
Are you talking about the wing that Oscar destroyed? It is suitable for tracks where high downforce is required. Here in Monza, no one will use it, even if the team decides to cut off a significant area of ​​the top flap. As I wrote repeatedly and because of which there was an argument earlier, the team will rather decide to modify a wing that has already been used on tracks where high downforce is not required. We have such a wing and have already used it in the Spa. It does not generate much peak downforce, the main profile has a medium area, and the size and angle of attack of the upper flap is also optimal for tracks where medium downforce is required.

In 2021, McLaren already did a similar trick: the Monza used the rear wing that was used in the Spa of the same year, but the top flap was cut off at the top along the entire length a few centimeters deep, and this undercut is good. As I understand from Stella's last words, they will do the same this time.
It seems like they will apply the cutout trick to the Spa wing. Given that Monza is so power sensitive I can see why they think this isn't great.

Cutting out the top flap is not great because it is the DRS flap, but the bottom element is more detailed in its contours so not as easy to trim. My feeling is Spa wing with the cutouts, with the winglets at the side not being as wide.

But if it ensures a top 8 finish I'm happy.

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
31 Aug 2023, 09:56
LionsHeart wrote:
31 Aug 2023, 09:54
FittingMechanics wrote:

It seems like they will apply the cutout trick to the Spa wing. Given that Monza is so power sensitive I can see why they think this isn't great.

Cutting out the top flap is not great because it is the DRS flap, but the bottom element is more detailed in its contours so not as easy to trim. My feeling is Spa wing with the cutouts, with the winglets at the side not being as wide.

But if it ensures a top 8 finish I'm happy.
In general, yes. I uploaded a couple of pics to my previous post. This is roughly what I would expect to see with an undercut, where a less loaded wing can be obtained from the base of the Spa wing. But I also think that they will have to modify the attachment point to make the angle of attack of the top flap even smaller, otherwise this cutout will not do much good, except that the effect of the DRS will be a little better.

MrGapes

Monza wing in tech thread, maybe not what many were expecting haha

CjC
CjC

MrGapes wrote:
31 Aug 2023, 10:18
I was expecting the tea tray. So good to see.
Just a fan's point of view

MrGapes

CjC wrote:
31 Aug 2023, 10:29
MrGapes wrote:
31 Aug 2023, 10:18
I was expecting the tea tray. So good to see.
same here!

mwillems

It'll do the job. A bit primitive which is I suppose all they had the time for but is at least low downforce, I'm happy with that! Now we need to see what it is like on track...

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Finally. I was not far from the truth. I see last year's Monza wing and the cut top flap option. This wing has been used four times in my memory, but with a full top flap. Well, the team will be able to try both options and understand which option is better for the race.

I also thought that the comrade who said that the team might want to replace the engine on Lando's car here is quite possible. If in free practice it turns out that the car is not very competitive, then they can get a fine for replacing the engine here, realizing that there will be no fight for serious points.

mwillems

There's two variants, one quite different from the other...

-Bandit

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
31 Aug 2023, 11:05
Two variants
Neither is fully Low DF but the first looks closer to a medium DF wing but with all the details that bring the Aero efficiencies.
Looks like they have created something very basic and want to see how it stacks up against something more developed. Makes me wonder how much development they were able to put into it versus getting something basic out of the door.

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

It will be interesting. From the looks of it, Red Bull is also running a mid DF wing but they have better efficiency/top speed overall.

McLaren though needs to be ready to overtake in the race. Red Bull can just focus on maximum pace and destroy everyone from P1.

McLaren pace in Spa was good but it was completely unsuited to running in a race. Hopefully we can avoid that situation in Monza.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
31 Aug 2023, 11:26
FittingMechanics wrote:
31 Aug 2023, 11:05
Two variants
Neither is fully Low DF but the first looks closer to a medium DF wing but with all the details that bring the Aero efficiencies.
Looks like they have created something very basic and want to see how it stacks up against something more developed. Makes me wonder how much development they were able to put into it versus getting something basic out of the door.
Yes, yes, I already saw these messages earlier in another thread. One option for low pressure - last year's wing was used here in Monza. The second option is a modification of the wing with an average downforce. Why did I write that I was not far from the truth? I expected the top flap cutout to be larger. Here it doesn't look like I imagined before. I'm sure the team will figure it out and choose the best option.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

The most interesting thing is that one option will develop low drag without the use of DRS, but when DRS is enabled, the effect will be minimal. The second option is with a larger load and greater drag, but when the DRS is turned on, the effect will be greater. How this will affect the maximum speed at the exit from Parabolica, and in the braking zone, I think we will see on Friday evening, when the telemetry will be posted.