2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

With my limited expertise, I'd believe the higher DF wing is more quali focused whereas the lower DF wing is more a view to raceability in the Grand Prix itself. Yes, higher DF will look after the tyres better but I suspect the battery benefits plus the time gained especially with DRS off will outweigh that on an already low deg circuit in Monza.

mwillems

MCLvamos wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 14:10
With my limited expertise, I'd believe the higher DF wing is more quali focused whereas the lower DF wing is more a view to raceability in the Grand Prix itself. Yes, higher DF will look after the tyres better but I suspect the battery benefits plus the time gained especially with DRS off will outweigh that on an already low deg circuit in Monza.
The Higher DF wing would benefit more the race pace, the lower wing the Qualifying. It's not just deg, sliding increases the temp of the tyres which does increase deg but also lowers grip and therefore cornering pace and exit traction and this is something the Mclaren would prefer to avoid if the lower DF wing isn't sufficient.

Deg itself will reduce grip, but as soon as it is too hot it will slide across the track a lot more anyway... AND scrub the tyre. The tyre will be destroyed quickly if you don't manage the pace. Which begs the question, would the Higher DF ultimately just have been faster.

We need to consider what we can do on the straight, plus what is the optimum setup to perform a set number of laps in the quickest time. Sometimes you just have to suck up the flaw. I have a feeling we will be going with the higher DF wing, but we will see. Maybe they have different fuel or setup.

Also worth noting that Qualifying position is a little less important here because you can overtake, if indeed we can overtake.
Last edited by mwillems on 01 Sep 2023, 14:23, edited 4 times in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

djos

The issue with the higher DF wing, is we might get mugged on the straights in the race.
"In downforce we trust"

organic

MCLvamos wrote:
Higher df at monza is better for the race. Not only for tyre protection but it actually also makes overtaking easier despite lower topspeed on paper because you can follow closer through the high speed (esp parabolica) and higher df wings still hit similar topspeeds with drs open
Last edited by organic on 01 Sep 2023, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

djos wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 14:15
The issue with the higher DF wing, is we might get mugged on the straights in the race.
Over a lap they look similar but I look forward to seeing the top speed data in a little bit.

-Bandit

mwillems

organic wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 14:16
MCLvamos wrote:
Higher df at monza is better for the race. Not only for tyre protection but it actually also makes overtaking easier despite lower topspeed on paper because you can follow closer through the high speed (esp parabolica) and higher df wings still hit similar topspeeds with drs open
Plus the tyre temps, something the Mclaren needs to control more than some others.

Having a lower DF wing can increase the temps in the racing tyre as the car slides and hinder cornering performance, including exit traction.

-Bandit

organic

Race pace looks good, but checo is towing lando for this stint

MrGapes

Initial thoughts

Low downforce setup - car doesn't look great to be honest

High downforce setup - pace looks quite good, car is well balanced, maintaining good pace on a used up soft // but considerably slower on the straights

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

organic wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 14:20
Looks close enough that it's affecting the performance in the corners, it probably balances it out.

mwillems

High DF does look better but better to bear in mind we don't know the setups, fuel etc

-Bandit

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

mwillems wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 14:18
organic wrote:
MCLvamos wrote:
Plus the tyre temps, something the Mclaren needs to control more than some others.

Having a lower DF wing can increase the temps in the racing tyre as the car slides and hinder cornering performance, including exit traction.
If this is the case, perhaps they have put the higher DF wing on Norris' car in preparation for a possible engine penalty so setting up for the race?

organic

MCLvamos wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 14:25

If this is the case, perhaps they have put the higher DF wing in preparation for a possible engine penalty so setting up for the race?
I don't think they'll need to take any engine penalties. The allocation is now 4 ice, 4mguk etc rather than 3 so most teams won't take engine penalties this season

mwillems

MCLvamos wrote:
mwillems wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 14:18
organic wrote:

If this is the case, perhaps they have put the higher DF wing on Norris' car in preparation for a possible engine penalty so setting up for the race?
I'm not sure how the two correlate :D

-Bandit

MrGapes

organic wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 14:26
MCLvamos wrote:

If this is the case, perhaps they have put the higher DF wing in preparation for a possible engine penalty so setting up for the race?
I don't think they'll need to take any engine penalties. The allocation is now 4 ice, 4mguk etc rather than 3 so most teams won't take engine penalties this season
I just saw this today and was very confused! .. completely forgot the allocation changed

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

organic wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 14:20
On second look, is it? All the other top 5 teams seem to be lapping faster using harder compound tyres, from the information I have.