2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Emag wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 17:40
I am trackside at ascari and Lando threw the car in there. It was incredible.

Just one thing to note. The McLarens are noticably louder than any other car through here. I don't know if that means anything in terms of engine modes.
Maybe carrying more speed and hence more on the throttle? Not sure but high speed is our strength so that could be a possible cause. Hopefully it's not a higher engine mode :D :D :D

Emag
Emag

Lando seems more or less on Carlos' pace on the long runs. Gap has been visually the same for 3-4 laps.

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

My live timing was playing up but I've seen one time from Albon, a 25:7. Don't have access to the rest of his times but was he lapping similar to that for the whole run because that is alarmingly fast
Last edited by MCLvamos on 01 Sep 2023, 17:56, edited 1 time in total.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Albon has been mega quick. They will be a force for top 5 finish I reckon

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Hopefully they're just showing more on Friday like they sometimes do (although it is odd to be that way even in the long run). Because a Williams ahead of a McLaren on pure pace would be... something

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

Lando was fastest in the high speed corners closely followed by Oscar. If the new wing doesn't sacrificie corner speed and has better top speed they need to go with that one.

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Just wondering, were the other cars on new tyres for their long runs? Both McLaren's were on used sets from earlier in the session, if they had a tyre age delta that could account for some of the time gap to our competitors in the (limited) long running.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

MCLvamos wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 18:03
Just wondering, were the other cars on new tyres for their long runs? Both McLaren's were on used sets from earlier in the session, if they had a tyre age delta that could account for some of the time gap to our competitors in the (limited) long running.
Usually no.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Dafnalina wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 17:58
Lando was fastest in the high speed corners closely followed by Oscar. If the new wing doesn't sacrificie corner speed and has better top speed they need to go with that one.
Yeah, this is really interesting :D I was impressed with the second session. It remains to understand the telemetry.

MrGapes

MrGapes wrote:
29 Aug 2023, 14:26
I don’t think Monza will be as bad as some might think here… I think there is far too many unknown variables coupled with the track characteristics to make a somewhat concise prediction on competitiveness. There are maybe two cornering instances on the track where we will lack to others in the race, but I think that’s overshadowed by the importance and advantage of Parabolica and Ascari. So the question mark should really be around drag (and drs effectiveness)..

This could be very very wrong but based on what I’ve seen the order could be something like Redbull > Ferrari=Mclaren > Aston=Merc
My prediction ain't looking to bad now :lol:

I think It may be more Ferrari > Mclaren but close...

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

I saw that Oscar is in the top 3 in terms of maximum speed. He scored 346 km/h.

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

MrGapes wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 18:07
MrGapes wrote:
29 Aug 2023, 14:26
I don’t think Monza will be as bad as some might think here… I think there is far too many unknown variables coupled with the track characteristics to make a somewhat concise prediction on competitiveness. There are maybe two cornering instances on the track where we will lack to others in the race, but I think that’s overshadowed by the importance and advantage of Parabolica and Ascari. So the question mark should really be around drag (and drs effectiveness)..

This could be very very wrong but based on what I’ve seen the order could be something like Redbull > Ferrari=Mclaren > Aston=Merc
My prediction ain't looking to bad now :lol:

I think It may be more Ferrari > Mclaren but close...
Not too concerned about Ferrari, if they have their weekend here so be it, we should come back at them in the next few races. Williams are the odd one, Albon looks right up their on low and high fuel!

mwillems

I'm still thinking we are looking at a top 8 finish for Qualy, maybe top 10 for race.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

billamend wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 15:44
I don't understand where the expectations were coming from. It has been very obvious that McLaren would struggle here.
Yes, very obvious now after FP2. :roll:

It's free practices, teams run different programs and McLaren usually does much better on Saturday and Sunday than on Friday.
mwillems wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 18:25
I'm still thinking we are looking at a top 8 finish for Qualy, maybe top 10 for race.
I expect more. I think the soft run was done so easily that they have to have decent pace compared to midfield. Albon and Williams impress every weekend in free practice only to disappear in qualifying and race. I think it was the same in Silverstone.

Tomsky
Tomsky