2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

mwillems wrote:
02 Sep 2023, 01:42
SmallSoldier wrote:
02 Sep 2023, 01:38
Pretty neat!
I know, I'm enjoying this. I realise now that the version of FastF1 I have is probably out of date and the API Documentation correct, but I figured out what had been deprecated and what to use.

We look pretty good on Softs, to be fair, although it is a narrow set of data. On Meds we are around 4th or 5th.

We may ultimately qualify well. Someone somewhere said top 5. Hats off to you if you're right.

This backs up the Piastri statement that we will be competitive in Q3, if we can get there.
It’s interesting the apparent lack of pace between compounds… I’ve been trying to figure out what the driver is… In general, you would expect similar relative performance between compounds, with mainly the only difference been in regards to the operating window.

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

mwillems wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 20:51
The data from FP2 if someone wants to play

https://easyupload.io/gks9qj
Thanks for all this.

BMMR61

So, trying to get my head around this McLaren concern for single lap pace on the harder compounds, is this a circuit specific trait that undermines the previous one that the MCL60/60B was "quick to bring it's tyres into the window"? Not wanting to buy into the usual day one hysteria, but there's a lot of "expert" opinions here and elsewhere weighing in on Friday performance, much more than would appear to be usual. Clearly Monza presents such individual, even unique challenges, that everyone is laser focusing on the pecking order, downforce levels, top speeds, DRS effect etc etc.

A pretty decent tech summary on The Race by MPH who can put a clear vision on things without totally dumbing it down. A big thanks to everyone who has been doing the deep diving that us mere mortals don't have the skills for, and in some cases probably don't understand at all!

mwillems

BMMR61 wrote:
02 Sep 2023, 07:28
So, trying to get my head around this McLaren concern for single lap pace on the harder compounds, is this a circuit specific trait that undermines the previous one that the MCL60/60B was "quick to bring it's tyres into the window"? Not wanting to buy into the usual day one hysteria, but there's a lot of "expert" opinions here and elsewhere weighing in on Friday performance, much more than would appear to be usual. Clearly Monza presents such individual, even unique challenges, that everyone is laser focusing on the pecking order, downforce levels, top speeds, DRS effect etc etc.

A pretty decent tech summary on The Race by MPH who can put a clear vision on things without totally dumbing it down. A big thanks to everyone who has been doing the deep diving that us mere mortals don't have the skills for, and in some cases probably don't understand at all!
The first graph is all compounds, to be clear, I didn't do one for hards,, I'll add it in later.

I should be able to do single lap analysis for specific compounds too.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
02 Sep 2023, 05:57
mwillems wrote:
02 Sep 2023, 01:42
SmallSoldier wrote:
02 Sep 2023, 01:38

Pretty neat!
I know, I'm enjoying this. I realise now that the version of FastF1 I have is probably out of date and the API Documentation correct, but I figured out what had been deprecated and what to use.

We look pretty good on Softs, to be fair, although it is a narrow set of data. On Meds we are around 4th or 5th.

We may ultimately qualify well. Someone somewhere said top 5. Hats off to you if you're right.

This backs up the Piastri statement that we will be competitive in Q3, if we can get there.
It’s interesting the apparent lack of pace between compounds… I’ve been trying to figure out what the driver is… In general, you would expect similar relative performance between compounds, with mainly the only difference been in regards to the operating window.
Just to add more uncertainty to the mix, the coloured bars are the range excluding highest and lowest outliers. But the line inside the bar is the median.

Our median pace on mediums is second best, but it's also tight. If anyone is running a little less fuel or a little more engine then it could change easily depending on variables and our choice of wing.

-Bandit

BMMR61

Discounting the (inevitable) changing order on Saturday, qualifying looks strong once (if) we navigate Q2. Q1 should go without saying, so there could be row 2 on offer (I know it's dangerous to speculate this far out!). Given the drivers are saying the slipstream effect is low and overtaking will be difficult, qualifying will be important. Then it may come down to undercuts and DRS trains, these trains can be your saviour or your enemy depending on race order versus clear air race pace. I personally find this race and qualifying utterly intriguing.

PikeStance

Interesting breakdowns. the way some of you analyze the data you will make baseball fanatics blush. :D
<-Pike----
Expat American in Guangzhou
Native New Orleans

mwillems

I will try and learn the data to see if I can make more useful visualisations, sorry for peppering with charts, please feedback and what might be good to see.

-Bandit

mclaren111

mwillems wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 17:41
Emag wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 17:40
I am trackside at ascari and Lando threw the car in there. It was incredible.

Just one thing to note. The McLarens are noticably louder than any other car through here. I don't know if that means anything in terms of engine modes.
You LUCKY, LUCKY B*STARD.

Thanks for the update. It could well be we are pushing it.
Lucky is an Understatement... Enjoy... :D :D

mclaren111

RaceFans:

The team admitted it needed to make drastic improvements to its car’s efficiency, and it has taken a step towards that with a package of six notable changes this weekend. In addition to the familiar front and rear wing tweaks, McLaren have altered their rear wing endplates, brake ducts and other parts of the MCL60...

“Low downforce, like I said in Spa, was on the ‘to do’ list at the start of the season,” said team principal Andrea Stella. “It was after just improving the general efficiency of the car.

“We had no time to address that for Spa. We had some quite rapid corrective work to be able to come here to Monza and have some low-drag solutions. We saw these solutions split across the cars this morning. We are happy that the data we saw were matching the expectations, so now we’ll have to pick the right one for the race and we hope to do better than what we were doing in Spa in dry conditions.
https://www.racefans.net/2023/09/01/mon ... rformance/

CjC
CjC

Any word on Piastri? From the guys who follow the team feed?

Nevermind he’s just come out🤣
Just a fan's point of view

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

The team chose a rear wing with low downforce for both drivers.

At the same time, it is important that the front wing is without trimming.

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

mwillems wrote:
02 Sep 2023, 11:12
I will try and learn the data to see if I can make more useful visualisations, sorry for peppering with charts, please feedback and what might be good to see.

Might be worth it to dump these in the telemetry thread and quote them in the thread as needed. :D :D

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

CjC wrote:
02 Sep 2023, 12:45
Any word on Piastri? From the guys who follow the team feed?

Nevermind he’s just come out🤣
Team feed says it's normal to come out later as the conditions are closer to qualifying.

mwillems

CaribouBread wrote:
02 Sep 2023, 12:59
mwillems wrote:
02 Sep 2023, 11:12

Might be worth it to dump these in the telemetry thread and quote them in the thread as needed. :D :D
I had no idea there was one, thanks :D

-Bandit