2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

It turns out that last year Lando finished in 7th position, and Dan, before the problems with the engine, also went into points.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
02 Sep 2023, 19:56
It turns out that last year Lando finished in 7th position, and Dan, before the problems with the engine, also went into points.
We were within 3kph of the best last year in Q3, it was a slippier config. others have moved forward in terms of straight line pace and we have set back at this track. That is a result of a direct comparison in Qualy.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
02 Sep 2023, 20:06
LionsHeart wrote:
02 Sep 2023, 19:56
We were within 3kph of the best last year in Q3, it was a slippier config. others have moved forward in terms of straight line pace and we have set back at this track. That is a result of a direct comparison in Qualy.
So let's hope that next year the car will be less drag. I think Prodromou will be able to do what he did in 2021.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

At the beginning of the year we’d have been annihilated in Monza. It’s testament to how much this car has been improved that we are hanging in the top 10. The baseline of this car is very solid. We’ve come a long way. Let’s just be grateful for the turn around and the hope for next years car is real whilst we can dream about a few tracks this year!

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

I am very surprised the team has not announced an extra engine and hence penalty on Norris' car. You would've thought they had it in mind coming to a less competitive track. Unless they plan to run to the end of the season with the pool he has now (which is unnecessary if we are only on for a couple of points at events like Monza), none of the upcoming tracks seem like good places to take it, with the exception of maybe Vegas. Any thoughts?

michl420
michl420

PIA vs. VES, Q3. Piastri lost much in the first and a little bit in the second chicane. The rest was pretty even lap time wise.

CjC
CjC

MCLvamos wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 00:50
I am very surprised the team has not announced an extra engine and hence penalty on Norris' car. You would've thought they had it in mind coming to a less competitive track. Unless they plan to run to the end of the season with the pool he has now (which is unnecessary if we are only on for a couple of points at events like Monza), none of the upcoming tracks seem like good places to take it, with the exception of maybe Vegas. Any thoughts?
Don’t forget it’s not just the grid penalty for the PU but also ‘purchasing’ new elements comes out of the cost cap.
No doubt Mclaren want all the money to be spent on next years developmemt and will only buy a new PU if absolutely necessary.
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

michl420 wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 09:07
PIA vs. VES, Q3. Piastri lost much in the first and a little bit in the second chicane. The rest was pretty even lap time wise.
RB are running a higher DF wing, reality is we are slower everywhere, the configuration just skews the data a bit.

Anyway, The bulk of the time lost in t1 is on entry. The second apex of the chicane is not much slower and exit is excellent. We claw back half the time we lost in t1 entry. Same story at the next chicane. Poor entry but we are equal in the chicane and the exit is much better.

The data is curios as Piastri releases the throttle earlier than Vers but applies the brakes noticeably later. Why is this?

Car looks poor with trailbraking as you hold the brake into the corner and it looks like we are trying to remove some of the energy from the tyres?? Not sure. I don't understand what I'm seeing. But actual mech grip looks fine and the bulk of the chicanes look fine bar entry, which is a massive loss.

I'm not surprised the mechanical grip looks ok, I am surprised that the high speed entry into low speed is so poor.

Rear traction looks to be some of the best in class but the car doesn't want to turn in nicely. Perhaps we stress the front tyres too much.

-Bandit

mclaren111

Tomsky wrote:
02 Sep 2023, 17:43
Lando needs to get a new engine. This is the worst track for McLaren.

Agreed... And looking at Alpine's pace we can still beat them easily...

CjC
CjC

mwillems wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 09:51
michl420 wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 09:07
RB are running a higher DF wing, reality is we are slower everywhere, the configuration just skews the data a bit.

Anyway, The bulk of the time lost in t1 is on entry. The second apex of the chicane is not much slower and exit is excellent. We claw back half the time we lost in t1 entry. Same story at the next chicane. Poor entry but we are equal in the chicane and the exit is much better.

The data is curios as Piastri releases the throttle earlier than Vers but applies the brakes noticeably later. Why is this?

Car looks poor with trailbraking as you hold the brake into the corner and it looks like we are trying to remove some of the energy from the tyres?? Not sure. I don't understand what I'm seeing. But actual mech grip looks fine and the bulk of the chicanes look fine bar entry, which is a massive loss.

I'm not surprised the mechanical grip looks ok, I am surprised that the high speed entry into low speed is so poor.

Rear traction looks to be some of the best in class but the car doesn't want to turn in nicely. Perhaps we stress the front tyres too much.
I believe Lando said yesterday that they really struggle with the big breaking zones.
So he’s effectively backing up your analysis.
It’s amazing how from the 21 season to the 22-23 season Mclaren have managed to loose their breaking and drag strengths but keep their high speed corner advantage and low speed weakness😬

mwillems

If it wasn't for the entry we'd be the match of RB through the chicane and superior on exit. It is one thing that never goes away, rear traction of this car is championship quality.

Entry was always the issue with the car but was manageable. It looks unmanageable now.

It definately feels like those corners are not compatible with the Aerodynamic operating window.of the car. Car also struggles with dirty air, znother reason I'd prefer the other wing today. This weekends front behavior may be a little worse due to the cutout front wing.

Perhaps the dive of the car is the reason, but the way Piastri attacks the corner looks more severe and the opposite of someone trying to raise a little the nose on entry.

-Bandit

mclaren111

Also, let's not forget that we are faster than Aston here...

CjC
CjC

mwillems wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 11:14
If it wasn't for the entry we'd be the match of RB through the chicane and superior on exit. It is one thing that never goes away, rear traction of this car is championship quality.

Entry was always the issue with the car but was manageable. It looks unmanageable now.

It definately feels like those corners are not compatible with the Aerodynamic operating window.of the car. Car also struggles with dirty air, znother reason I'd prefer the other wing today. This weekends front behavior may be a little worse due to the cutout front wing.

Perhaps the dive of the car is the reason, but the way Piastri attacks the corner looks more severe and the opposite of someone trying to raise a little the nose on entry.
Hopefully if they ever solve the entry, low speed issues it won’t come at a cost to the exit, traction strength

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Poor corner entry is due to the low downforce rear wing. Lacks stability in the back. A more heavily loaded rear wing would solve this problem, but then we would probably lose more on long straights.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mclaren111 wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 11:52
Also, let's not forget that we are faster than Aston here...
In qualifying, yes. In a race it will be the other way around.