2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Well deserved podium for Sainz

F1NAC

I thought it was unecessary, but then again I doubt, leclerc could challenge Perez again. He was sliding on the edge. I thought they should ket Leclerc go adter Verstappen. Maybe he could have ended in front of Perez

dialtone
dialtone

F1NAC wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 16:45
I thought it was unecessary, but then again I doubt, leclerc could challenge Perez again. He was sliding on the edge. I thought they should ket Leclerc go adter Verstappen. Maybe he could have ended in front of Perez
If they swapped SAI and LEC maybe they would have lasted till last lap with PER at the end but it's very unlikely.

scuderiabrandon

By letting LEC athrough earlier they could have offset the battle with PER by a couple laps making the potential for a 2-3 higher. Then SAI could make his dirty moves in the braking zones to defend against PER instead of his teammate.

Unserious team

Xyz22
Xyz22

This race perfectly highlights why they need to make a car that doesn't have to work with an understeery balance.

Sainz best weekend with a car that he has always been extremely comfortable (he said that himself), Leclerc picking the wrong setup friday and was still slightly slower than Charles. When Charles was comfortable, the gap was much bigger and they were fighting for wins.

Still a good podium. Sainz had a good weekend.
Last edited by Xyz22 on 03 Sep 2023, 17:01, edited 1 time in total.

Vanja #66

Ferrari managed to lose a chance to swap the drivers after Sainz lost the control and P2. They would have saved 3-4s for Leclerc and would have had a much bigger gap to Perez after the stops. An easy P2/P3 was there for taking...

Sainz fighting his team mate harder than Red Bulls to top off the poorly managed race. How Leclerc kept his Hard tyres alive after following both Sainz and Perez the whole stint is beyond me. Amazing!
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Vinlarr89
Vinlarr89

Really is a horrible car, fast as you like down the straights but was sliding all over the place through the corners, I know a good chunk of this is down to setup choice, but this is probably the most suited track to this car and it still can only manage third. Starting to think Ferrari is finished

organic

Vanja #66 wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 16:53
Ferrari managed to lose a chance to swap the drivers after Sainz lost the control and P2. They would have saved 3-4s for Leclerc and would have had a much bigger gap to Perez after the stops. An easy P2/P3 was there for taking...

Sainz fighting his team mate harder than Red Bulls to top off the poorly managed race. How Leclerc kept his Hard tyres alive after following both Sainz and Perez the whole stint is beyond me. Amazing!
Agreed. P3/P4 was actually the worst result available really.. Not swapping when Sainz became P2 was a blunder worth seconds, and Perez could not get past easily.

P2/P4 was easily achievable by using Sainz to slow down Perez but they don't like to do this sort of thing it seems

JPower
JPower

Xyz22 wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 16:51
This race perfectly highlights why they need to make a car that doesn't have to work with an understeery balance.

Sainz best weekend with a car that he has always been extremely comfortable (he said that himself) with Leclerc picking the wrong setup friday and was still slightly slower than Charles. When Charles was comfortable, the gap was much bigger and they were fighting for wins.

Still a good podium. Sainz had a good weekend.
Again, this has nothing to do with the balance of the car, and everything to do with the car just not being good.

If the car could run the same DF levels as Red Bull while maintaining the same level of speed, this wouldn't be a conversation.

Vinlarr89
Vinlarr89

organic wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 16:55
Vanja #66 wrote:

Agreed. P3/P4 was actually the worst result available really.. Not swapping when Sainz became P2 was a blunder worth seconds, and Perez could not get past easily.

P2/P4 was easily achievable by using Sainz to slow down Perez but they don't like to do this sort of thing it seems
Teams got no backbone

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

organic wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 16:55
Vanja #66 wrote:

I don't think P2 was on cards.
Perez spent too much time behind Russell in reality he should've spent the 2nd part of the 1st stint in the gearbox avec Leclerc.
When Sainz held up Perez, Leclerc coulnd't even got closer to him.

dialtone
dialtone

Double podium wasn't going to happen for sure. Perez was going to pass either Sainz or Leclerc even after the swap, that's not really in question.

P2 hinges on whether LEC would have kept the 3.3s gap to Perez before the pit stop and I doubt it anyway, Perez wasn't that slow.

Xyz22
Xyz22

dialtone wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 17:05
Double podium wasn't going to happen for sure. Perez was going to pass either Sainz or Leclerc even after the swap, that's not really in question.

P2 hinges on whether LEC would have kept the 3.3s gap to Perez before the pit stop and I doubt it anyway, Perez wasn't that slow.
The only way to make a 2-3 was a DRS train between Carlos and Charles.
The car couldn't cope with the corners as usual. The drivers were sliding after 2-3 laps and pushing completely overheated the rear tyres.

The understeer of this car was out of control as usual. The Lesmos were embarrassing, with the front not keeping up at all.
Traction was also critical as they had to compensate for the absolute lack of front grip.

scuderiabrandon

dialtone wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 17:05

Not on pure pace would they have kept Perez behind, no. But by letting LEC through earlier you add a bit off a buffer in the battle later in the race which could've seen us get a better result overall.

All that time LEC was losing sitting behind SAI, PER was also losing behind RUS. With a hard fought battle a P2/P3 was on the table but more realistically a P2/P4 was porbably on.

chrisc90

Correct outcome I think. I did say pre race that it would be tyre preservation. Even with a DRS train behind Carlos after the first pitstop they couldn't hold check fully back -even with a skinny rear wing. Once the tyres started to go it was easy pickings for both red bulls