2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
BMMR61

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

I think many fans totally underestimate how great the leap to the F1 level that all rookies face. Lewis had the benefit of a large amount of seat time prior to his brilliant debut and testing back then was multiples greater than what is allowed today. Of course simulator work has enabled the Lando, George, Alex generation to get a sort of feel without getting much seat time. This 2019 F1 intake made sufficient impact to secure their futures while nobody else since has really looked born to be an F1 winner. Until Oscar. There’s been no buzz around Latifi, Mick, Zhou, Sargeant, even Tsunoda. After just a handful of races in a poor MCL60 Oscar looked rather accomplished and to be driving within his ability, after ten races he was clearly a very decent talent. Lawson, similarly, after two races, looks calm and composed but his body of F1 work is still too short to be sure of his speed.

PikeStance

For what it’s worth. When the season started Lando was clearly better. As the season progressed Oscar as improved. I see Oscar is nearly on par. As far as raw talent goes, I believe Oscar is better and will eventually eclipse Lando.

I think have made too much of the pit choices. We are not going exactly privy to the pre race meetings or the post race debriefings,
<-Pike----
Expat American in Guangzhou
Native New Orleans

mwillems

I'm not sure that much was made of the past, but about whether it should stop given his obvious talent and the fact he is quietly ruthless.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Balalu
Balalu

I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but didin't Oscar get the fastest lap bonus point? It's just 1 point, but at least it's still not a pointless race for him.
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

_cerber1

Balalu wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 16:22
I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but didin't Oscar get the fastest lap bonus point? It's just 1 point, but at least it's still not a pointless race for him.
To do this, you need to be in the top 10

PikeStance

Balalu wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 16:22
Yes, he finished with the fastest lap (125 range), but he finished 11th, so no points.
<-Pike----
Expat American in Guangzhou
Native New Orleans

mwillems

BMMR61 wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 14:19
I think many fans totally underestimate how great the leap to the F1 level that all rookies face. Lewis had the benefit of a large amount of seat time prior to his brilliant debut and testing back then was multiples greater than what is allowed today. Of course simulator work has enabled the Lando, George, Alex generation to get a sort of feel without getting much seat time. This 2019 F1 intake made sufficient impact to secure their futures while nobody else since has really looked born to be an F1 winner. Until Oscar. There’s been no buzz around Latifi, Mick, Zhou, Sargeant, even Tsunoda. After just a handful of races in a poor MCL60 Oscar looked rather accomplished and to be driving within his ability, after ten races he was clearly a very decent talent. Lawson, similarly, after two races, looks calm and composed but his body of F1 work is still too short to be sure of his speed.
Indeed, Liam Lawson is not doing himself any harm in putting his name in strong contention for next years AT seat. Australia are producing some racing talent right now, he will be racing in Singapore too.

-Bandit

Ben1980
Ben1980

mwillems wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 20:03
BMMR61 wrote:
Indeed, Liam Lawson is not doing himself any harm in putting his name in strong contention for next years AT seat. Australia are producing some racing talent right now, he will be racing in Singapore too.
I'm guessing that's just left in to upset some people

mwillems

Ben1980 wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 21:03
mwillems wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 20:03
BMMR61 wrote:
I'm guessing that's just left in to upset some people
No lol It was said without any thought to any of the DR fans and oddly I do know exactly who you mean, it is just a fact. The seat will be up for grabs nextyear, Horner made it clear that at this point it is a temporary move for DR. As good as DR is, he isn't the future, so a young driver outdoing the established driver is a very bold statement and had Liam not done well the DRs chances were boosted. As it is, this will have damaged his chances a little.

Aaaaaaanyway, this is off topic and not for this thread. I did have some more commentary that I deleted from that post before I submitted that might have been inflammatory, but not to DR fans, so I was actually showing some restraint 😇

Edit: I realise what you mean now but I'm not sure anyone was doubting that Oscar was a talent so I'm not sure how that would be inflammatory to anyone. In any case, that's the past now and pointless going over again.

-Bandit

Ben1980
Ben1980

Lawson is a Kiwi. Don't think they like being called Australian...nothing more or less

mwillems

Ben1980 wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 21:48
Lawson is a Kiwi. Don't think they like being called Australian...nothing more or less
In that case I have no idea who that would supposed to annoy!

Anyway it's another driver with the British flag in the corner lol

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

Ben1980 wrote:

:lol: :lol:
I like how you kept your powder dry whilst mwillems carried on digging
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

CjC wrote:
05 Sep 2023, 00:18
Ben1980 wrote:

:lol: :lol:
I like how you kept your powder dry whilst mwillems carried on digging
No guilt here!, its all the same to me , just another fake Englishman 🤣 As for trying to get digs in, I'm direct where people choose to be direct with me as you may have noticed , otherwise I haven't a clue what digs or digging anyone is on about :D 😇

-Bandit

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

BMMR61 wrote:
One thing people don't take into account though is that, even if Hamilton had a lot of testing, f2 cars were a lot different to f1 cars back then, while after the 2022 regulations, f1 cars are very similar in handling to f2. That's why Zhou for example was much more comfortable in his debut season than say Tsunoda.

That being said, I think Oscar is having possibly the most impressive rookie season since Hamilton. Already on Lando's pace, and it'll be interesting to see how they measure up against each other by the end of the season and by the next one.
Oscar possibly eclipsing Lando doesn't mean Lando isn't a top driver anymore though. He's proven himself already. We should be happy McLaren have, potential and talent wise, the best pairing on the grid.

Not looking forward to what would happen if Oscar gets a win first though. Poor Lando is gonna get SO much s#it if that happens :(

Now back to the point of the thread, do we know what upgrades they're bringing to Singapore? Suspension? Andrea made them sound a bit more significant than the last few parts.

BMMR61

Dafnalina wrote:
05 Sep 2023, 05:30
BMMR61 wrote:

Not looking forward to what would happen if Oscar gets a win first though. Poor Lando is gonna get SO much s#it if that happens :(
Yeah my feelings exactly. Lando is a great lad, has grown from a quite immature kid to a very solid top five driver who really deserves to have had his first win - were it not for this damn era of two team domination! LOL
Please Lando, do it to silence the inner doubts that Oscar's presence in the team will be starting to ignite.