2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

BMMR61 wrote:
05 Sep 2023, 14:59
The future Audi team previously known as...... Sauber, hmmmm. If Carlos is feeling enough frustration to consider leaving in 25 it would seem like a case of frying pan to fire. A resurgent McLaren might be the best offer he could hope for. Audi have built hybrid sports race cars but F1 is a level beyond, they will have a quite steep climb and Seidl isn't quite the wunderkind we first thought. Nice guy but F1 has many challenges for Andreas whereas Stella has proven to be quite a powerhouse for change. The reason for driver speculation - our two drivers will both be highly sought after commodities, even if they start scoring regular podiums and even wins. I think it rather likely that at least one will defect for 2025 so Zak needs to keep in drivers' quickdials. While my preference over almost any current driver would be the current two, Carlos would make an excellent reliable, safe, pair of hands.
Tyrell -> BAR -> Honda -> Brawn -> Mercedes
Stewart -> Jaguar -> Red Bull

I know there is no proof Audi will be a success, but for a driver willing to take a gamble, it's not a bad shot.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

I read today in the news from Rosberg that he has information from an insider that in 2024 Lando will play for another team. Does anyone believe this?

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

To be honest, I'm tired of constantly seeing from the faces of Red Bull that they are sorry to see that Lando's contract is until 2025, that he is the best candidate for Red Bull and so on. This is pressure for both the fans of the team and for the management of McLaren. If the team will make the car work quickly in the very near future and confirm this next year, then they will save themselves from unnecessary pressure.

I also think that Zak should renew the contracts with Lando and Oscar in the very near future. If the team has a fast car, then it's not scary, because in which case many will want to play for our team. And there are contenders.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
05 Sep 2023, 17:12
I read today in the news from Rosberg that he has information from an insider that in 2024 Lando will play for another team. Does anyone believe this?
I don't believe it but it is one to look for. Yet another reason to tie Oscar down.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formula- ... 1-30856783

There's a lot of confidence in here that everything will go our way with the drivers, and I hope that's true. But there is not any reason to forgive complacency in contract negotiations. Just ask Nando, Oscar, Webber and Alpine.

I want to hear that these two are tied down, Oscar with urgency.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
05 Sep 2023, 17:48
LionsHeart wrote:
I don't believe it but it is one to look for. Yet another reason to tie Oscar down.

There's a lot of confidence in here that everything will go our way with the drivers, and I hope that's true. But there is not any reason to forgive complacency in contract negotiations. Just ask Nando, Oscar, Webber and Alpine.

To be honest, I don't quite understand what you mean. But I hope that these rumors will end soon and we will find out what really is. Of course, I would like Lando and Oscar to stay on the team for a long time.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Mwillems, I think Horner and Marco have been putting a lot of pressure on McLaren lately for two reasons: the car went faster and we poached Rob Marshall from them, who of course will share the secrets of the Red Bulls' chassis.

I see as a fighter from the outside that Mercedes does not know how to lose. Based on the comments of the team. The same can be said about Red Bull. These teams are worth each other. :D

I have a guess that Mercedes would like to poach Lando for 2026. It's not without reason that Lewis's contract is only two years. Accurately under the new regulations and the end of Lando's term. In which case... if Lando really wants to leave, who should we take? Leclerc, Sainz? Or will Zak pull O'Ward out of IndyCar?

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
05 Sep 2023, 18:27
mwillems wrote:
LionsHeart wrote:

To be honest, I don't quite understand what you mean. But I hope that these rumors will end soon and we will find out what really is. Of course, I would like Lando and Oscar to stay on the team for a long time.
Alpine were very complacent with their drivers and Contracts, lost one of the fastest on the grid and one of the most oromising drivers. These should both have been tied down before.

That's what can happen if you don't sort the deals out before a drivers head is turned.

-Bandit

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
05 Sep 2023, 18:34
Mwillems, I think Horner and Marco have been putting a lot of pressure on McLaren lately for two reasons: the car went faster and we poached Rob Marshall from them, who of course will share the secrets of the Red Bulls' chassis.

I see as a fighter from the outside that Mercedes does not know how to lose. Based on the comments of the team. The same can be said about Red Bull. These teams are worth each other. :D

I have a guess that Mercedes would like to poach Lando for 2026. It's not without reason that Lewis's contract is only two years. Accurately under the new regulations and the end of Lando's term. In which case... if Lando really wants to leave, who should we take? Leclerc, Sainz? Or will Zak pull O'Ward out of IndyCar?
I think it isn't a coincidence that Mclaren promise success in Landos final contractual year. Unless something has happened, we have an agreement and a journey towards title Contenders in 25 with him.

Leclerc won't leave Ferrari but Sainz is an option, and yeah probably Pato too.

You're right about Marko and Horner. They are like Sauron turning their eye on us now 🤣

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
05 Sep 2023, 18:55
LionsHeart wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Alpine were very complacent with their drivers and Contracts, lost one of the fastest on the grid and one of the most oromising drivers. These should both have been tied down before.

That's what can happen if you don't sort the deals out before a drivers head is turned.
Ah, right. It's like that.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
05 Sep 2023, 19:01
mwillems wrote:
05 Sep 2023, 18:55
LionsHeart wrote:

Ah, right. It's like that.
It should be a meme. "Don't be like Alpine!".
It'd be funny if they didn't fire 2 talented and likeable guys

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
05 Sep 2023, 19:01
LionsHeart wrote:
05 Sep 2023, 18:34

I think it isn't a coincidence that Mclaren promise success in Landos final contractual year. Unless something has happened, we have an agreement and a journey towards title Contenders in 25 with him.

Leclerc won't leave Ferrari but Sainz is an option, and yeah probably Pato too.

You're right about Marko and Horner. They are like Sauron turning their eye on us now 🤣
Last words top class. :D The team needs to extend the contracts of Lando and Oscar until 2029. That's when I listen to their words that they dream of taking our driver there and thereby weakening McLaren.

Given the fact that in the last 3 years it was Lando who mainly brought points, I'm not surprised that all the talk is only about him, it's all the more offensive if Lando really decided to leave the team that supports him.

mwillems

Tricky times, we need to demonstrate our success. You never know, if the Singapore update turns out well it may be another good confidence boost.

But... we are only getting the pressure because we get some success. It comes with the territory and is a welcome sign of the direction we are taking.

Go Mclaren, especially in Singapore lol

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

If Lando leaves I can think of two names that are championship winning material even in their 40s. Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso. I would take any of them or both of them if needed.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
05 Sep 2023, 19:24
Tricky times, we need to demonstrate our success. You never know, if the Singapore update turns out well it may be another good confidence boost.

But... we are only getting the pressure because we get some success. It comes with the territory and is a welcome sign of the direction we are taking.

Go Mclaren, especially in Singapore lol
Yes, I hope that the latest updates will give a good boost in speed. Earlier in the spring, I assumed 3.5-4 tenths of a second. Even under the most optimistic assumptions, I thought, well, a maximum of half a second. It turned out that the increase turned out to be even greater, which in general is not surprising, because initially the car had no speed at all.

On the other hand, this means that the latest updates can give a few tenths of the circle. And it would be nice if this is noticeable at a racing pace, then there is a high probability that the car will become the second fastest.

All this gives good prerequisites that the 2024 car will be fast from the very beginning of the season. The main thing is to solve the problem with handling and balance. I think there is then room for further progress in speed, which can be seen from the results.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Darth-Piekus wrote:
05 Sep 2023, 19:25
If Lando leaves I can think of two names that are championship winning material even in their 40s. Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso. I would take any of them or both of them if needed.
I wouldn't take Alonso. And all because of his specific driving style. It requires the car to understeer, which it compensates for with a sharp movement of the steering wheel. This is one of the weak points of the car, which I think myself brought Alonso.

We need young and fast. Now we have such drivers. Lewis already has a contract, Alonso seems to have a contract too. We need other options.