2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mclaren111

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

LionsHeart wrote:
05 Sep 2023, 18:34
Mwillems, I think Horner and Marco have been putting a lot of pressure on McLaren lately for two reasons: the car went faster and we poached Rob Marshall from them, who of course will share the secrets of the Red Bulls' chassis.

I see as a fighter from the outside that Mercedes does not know how to lose. Based on the comments of the team. The same can be said about Red Bull. These teams are worth each other. :D

I have a guess that Mercedes would like to poach Lando for 2026. It's not without reason that Lewis's contract is only two years. Accurately under the new regulations and the end of Lando's term. In which case... if Lando really wants to leave, who should we take? Leclerc, Sainz? Or will Zak pull O'Ward out of IndyCar?

O'Ward is mediocre & already 24 years old...

Zaamy
Zaamy

mclaren111 wrote:
06 Sep 2023, 12:25
LionsHeart wrote:
Mwillems, I think Horner and Marco have been putting a lot of pressure on McLaren lately for two reasons: the car went faster and we poached Rob Marshall from them, who of course will share the secrets of the Red Bulls' chassis.

I see as a fighter from the outside that Mercedes does not know how to lose. Based on the comments of the team. The same can be said about Red Bull. These teams are worth each other. :D

I have a guess that Mercedes would like to poach Lando for 2026. It's not without reason that Lewis's contract is only two years. Accurately under the new regulations and the end of Lando's term. In which case... if Lando really wants to leave, who should we take? Leclerc, Sainz? Or will Zak pull O'Ward out of IndyCar?

O'Ward also doesn't have a super licence

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mclaren111 wrote:

I don't think he is mediocre at all. He may be impatient and makes mistakes, but he is fast. He easily beat both Rosenquist and Rossi - both very good drivers and he has been beating his teammates regularly in a spec series.

Not sure if I would switch him over to F1 team if Lando leaves, but it is worth to entertain the idea. He did some testing so team probably knows where he sits performance wise.

Regarding the driver and the team, I think that if you build a fast car - drivers will line up to join you. Lando is less likely to leave because the upgrade improved performance significantly. Piastri is good and new so I don't think the team has anything to worry about.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

FittingMechanics wrote:
06 Sep 2023, 13:37
mclaren111 wrote:

I don't think he is mediocre at all. He may be impatient and makes mistakes, but he is fast. He easily beat both Rosenquist and Rossi - both very good drivers and he has been beating his teammates regularly in a spec series.

Not sure if I would switch him over to F1 team if Lando leaves, but it is worth to entertain the idea. He did some testing so team probably knows where he sits performance wise.

Regarding the driver and the team, I think that if you build a fast car - drivers will line up to join you. Lando is less likely to leave because the upgrade improved performance significantly. Piastri is good and new so I don't think the team has anything to worry about.
Agree. A couple of years ago O'Ward, Palou and Herta were driving McLaren cars, right? Herta is definitely performing mediocre. I don't see speed and stability. At least O'Ward shows speed. Nothing to say about Palou, two-time IndyCar champion?

For me, as an old McLaren fan, as a person who cares about the team, it is preferable to keep our current drivers. Piastri has speed, he just needs to find stability and the ability to get the most out of him. Lando and Oscar need to be signed for as long as possible. Let's say until 2029.

If in the coming races, thanks to the updates, the car goes even faster, faster in qualifying and the race, then that will be good. There will be confidence that next year the car will be fast too.

basti313
basti313

FittingMechanics wrote:
06 Sep 2023, 13:37
mclaren111 wrote:

No, I think this idea was completely dropped. There is only one driver in Indycar driving circles around the rest with a glimpse of a chance in F1.
For the rest:
- Every prospect has 2-3 race ending mishaps every season. On a relatively short season...sorry, this is nothing you can afford in F1.
- Every ex-F1 or FE driver in Indycar had a more than mediocre appearance. Just lokk at for example Ericsson...certainly one of the most consistent top10 drivers with an Indy500 win. He was struggling fair and square with the big names like Wehrlein and Nasr in F1. I would even say he was beaten to nowhere by Wehrlein...or Rosenqvist, who was beaten at all races at the season finish by old Heidfeld in FE once Heidfeld knew it is an electric car...

O'Ward is somewhere near this level of Ericsson and Rosenqvist if you take away the heavy inconsistencies. I like to watch these guys in Indy, but sorry...no way they are F1 material.
Don`t russel the hamster!

BMMR61

We had an excellent driver pairing with Carlos who was clearly the better for racecraft. Lando took a major step in consistent race performances in 2021 and since then has been rated easily in the top 5 drivers. To Lando fans who are sceptical about Oscar I would say, the reason I rate Oscar so highly is because I rate Lando highly. McLaren have an enviable driver pairing with youth, experience and speed - both drivers are under 25 and have the best years of F1 ahead. It's largely in McLaren's hands if we retain them - if the major step up that was the MCL60B can be repeated in 2024 and the results are significantly better than 2023 then it would take a bit to shift either driver, provided there remains good harmony in the team. In the immediate future I am very excited about Singapore and particularly Suzuka which I think will play to the car's strengths.

Macklaren
Macklaren

Honestly, I think the team culture at RBR is garbage and if Lando really wants to go there despite that, I say let him go, because he is prob not a good culture fit at McLaren. IF Lando wants to go there. I know that money and a winning car are all that matter but Lando is unlikely to get either as RBR's #2 driver.

EDIT: IF Lando leaves, I think Albon can be a good replacement. Oscar + Alex will be a good young but mature and fast pair

mclaren111

Macklaren wrote:
06 Sep 2023, 15:32
Honestly, I think the team culture at RBR is garbage and if Lando really wants to go there despite that, I say let him go, because he is prob not a good culture fit at McLaren. IF Lando wants to go there. I know that money and a winning car are all that matter but Lando is unlikely to get either as RBR's #2 driver.

EDIT: IF Lando leaves, I think Albon can be a good replacement. Oscar + Alex will be a good young but mature and fast pair

Personally I would bring in one of the next hot youngsters...

mwillems

Zaamy wrote:
06 Sep 2023, 12:53
mclaren111 wrote:
LionsHeart wrote:

O'Ward also doesn't have a super licence
Yeah that is pretty harsh, the super license system rates Indy quite poorly which I don't think is right, he should have more points from his results.

Whilst he doesn't excite me like others, I don'tthink I would call him mediocre either, that feels a little harsh to me.
Last edited by mwillems on 06 Sep 2023, 16:44, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

organic

mclaren111 wrote:
06 Sep 2023, 16:03
Macklaren wrote:

Who? The next very highly rated youngsters are just finishing f4/FRECA seasons

basti313
basti313

BMMR61 wrote:
06 Sep 2023, 14:38
To Lando fans who are sceptical about Oscar I would say, the reason I rate Oscar so highly is because I rate Lando highly. McLaren have an enviable driver pairing with youth, experience and speed - both drivers are under 25 and have the best years of F1 ahead.
I totally agree, on average McLaren has a super promising driver lineup. I think it is a bit early to judge as the car got just competitive and I do not know what lead to the Q problems in Austria for Oscar. But generally I also would say that compared to RB or Merc, where (nearly) always one driver bottles a Q, McLaren has the best consistency and the drivers extract currently the most from the car.
BMMR61 wrote:
It's largely in McLaren's hands if we retain them - if the major step up that was the MCL60B can be repeated in 2024 and the results are significantly better than 2023 then it would take a bit to shift either driver, provided there remains good harmony in the team.
I think it is always funny if people start with "we" :D
But never mind...you are right. It is the job of McLaren to keep its drivers together. They have the chance to keep this lineup till 25 and beyond. If they fail to keep them it is their fault.
If they fail...they need to hire some old and good driver, otherwise they will fail to meet their targets.
Macklaren wrote:
Honestly, I think the team culture at RBR is garbage and if Lando really wants to go there despite that, I say let him go, because he is prob not a good culture fit at McLaren.
Funny assumption.
mclaren111 wrote:
Who? I actually do not really see anything hot. Oscar basically wiped the floor with the rest of F3 and F2, then had a lot of testing as preparation...today and since last year we have not a single outstanding driver in F2 and F3 including no regular testing appearances.
I think Lawson is the next entry to F1. Maybe they can sign him if RedBull fails to put him into a seat. But McLaren will face the issue that they have no second team. RedBull will always be better set up with AT for bringing young drivers into F1.

mwillems

Macklaren wrote:

So I agree about RBR and I don't think that Lando would go because it is a career ending move if it fails. Kiss goodbye to any chances of getting another tilt at the title. I would actually be more concerned about him going to Ferrari or Mercedes because I think he would fancy his chances there.

As for Alex Albon... I wouldn't be against it but there are better I think. You never know, if we consistently start finishing ahead of Ferrari in the standings then perhaps we could poach the likes of Leclerc or other top drivers coming through! I say that only half in Jest :lol:

-Bandit

mwillems

basti313 wrote:
06 Sep 2023, 16:30
BMMR61 wrote:
To Lando fans who are sceptical about Oscar I would say, the reason I rate Oscar so highly is because I rate Lando highly. McLaren have an enviable driver pairing with youth, experience and speed - both drivers are under 25 and have the best years of F1 ahead.
I totally agree, on average McLaren has a super promising driver lineup. I think it is a bit early to judge as the car got just competitive and I do not know what lead to the Q problems in Austria for Oscar. But generally I also would say that compared to RB or Merc, where (nearly) always one driver bottles a Q, McLaren has the best consistency and the drivers extract currently the most from the car.
BMMR61 wrote:
It's largely in McLaren's hands if we retain them - if the major step up that was the MCL60B can be repeated in 2024 and the results are significantly better than 2023 then it would take a bit to shift either driver, provided there remains good harmony in the team.
I think it is always funny if people start with "we" :D
But never mind...you are right. It is the job of McLaren to keep its drivers together. They have the chance to keep this lineup till 25 and beyond. If they fail to keep them it is their fault.
If they fail...they need to hire some old and good driver, otherwise they will fail to meet their targets.
Macklaren wrote:
Honestly, I think the team culture at RBR is garbage and if Lando really wants to go there despite that, I say let him go, because he is prob not a good culture fit at McLaren.
Funny assumption.
mclaren111 wrote:
Who? I actually do not really see anything hot. Oscar basically wiped the floor with the rest of F3 and F2, then had a lot of testing as preparation...today and since last year we have not a single outstanding driver in F2 and F3 including no regular testing appearances.
I think Lawson is the next entry to F1. Maybe they can sign him if RedBull fails to put him into a seat. But McLaren will face the issue that they have no second team. RedBull will always be better set up with AT for bringing young drivers into F1.
I like the look of Victor Martins but no, there isn't anyone that special coming through F2/F3 right now.

Regarding culture at RBR, if you look at the way Horner/Marko behave and speak and how they discard drivers ruthlessly, I do tend to agree that it is not a very healthy space at least for drivers there. You have to be VERY mentally strong, and I'm not sure Lando can deal with Marko.

-Bandit

billamend
billamend

mwillems wrote:
06 Sep 2023, 16:43
Regarding culture at RBR, if you look at the way Horner/Marko behave and speak and how they discard drivers ruthlessly, I do tend to agree that it is not a very healthy space at least for drivers there. You have to be VERY mentally strong, and I'm not sure Lando can deal with Marko.
Lando is more critical on himself than Marko could ever be. Please don't be miss-guided by the way British media portrays RedBull and their culture. No team can be as successful as they are without a strong and positive culture. They have good retention, very high diversity numbers, and are not afraid of taking risks - which is a strong indicator of a positive culture.

basti313
basti313

mwillems wrote:
06 Sep 2023, 16:43
I also do not have a good feeling when I see Marko on TV, but is this is measure or real picture? I guess this is where our armchair expertise simply comes to a limit. He is still the most successful coach/strategist in F1 who brought the most drivers in the last 15 years into F1 with still the best young driver program.

And F1 drivers need to be mentally strong and they are. Max and Lewis gave us one of the best WDC fights over years/decades, just because they were mentally strong. On the other hand we saw Schumacher fail because he was not mentally strong. And not Steiner (who is a real a******) broke him. It was Magnussen who broke him by just performing fair and square and not being the a****** he can be.

If Lando would be /is not as mentally strong as he is, he could neither face Max or Lewis nor stand against Oscar. But he is. We saw this in several races, we see this on rock solid performances. I think he has no issue to work under Steiner, Marko, Brown or any other difficult person.

Besides this...I fear you are on a completely wrong path. Similar to Merc, RedBull now has a quite stable team around the drivers and trackside performance. Horner, Wheatley, Rocquelin, Damerum....all are there for 15? years. Sorry, that does not speak for any toxic culture. In contrast, it is exactly this stability that teams like Ferrari hurts...also at McLaren, with Paul James gone there is besides Stella, who moved through the line of command like a hot knife through butter...no one from the old guys?