2023 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
organic

Re: 2023 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

vorticism wrote:
11 Sep 2023, 19:54
organic wrote:
11 Sep 2023, 17:58
The team runs the car very aggressively riding the plank... FIA have revised TD039 for Singapore with more focus on how teams are avoiding plank wear with flexible joints/discontinuities at the reference plane. This could definitely hurt the car more than others :? Only time will tell
Didn't seem to affect them last year. IIRC Ferrari were hurt the most by it last year.
Yep. But last year RB used ice skates for ride height control.. this year they run on the plank

chrisc90

I really don’t think it would affect us.

The ice skates weren’t banned as such - just RB decided to take a different method with the floor edge. I believe a number of teams still run the ‘ice skate’ .

TD039 everyone was crying out it’s going to kill RB off - how wrong they were.

We’ll be fine - no need to panic.

vorticism

IMO RB dropped the skates because of another rule change: the raising of the floor edge height +15 mm.

organic wrote:
11 Sep 2023, 19:55
Yep. But last year RB used ice skates for ride height control.. this year they run on the plank
The ice skates were intended to help define the floor edge droop since last year the floor edge was that much closer to the ground. Instead of dragging the CF floor edge against the tarmac the skates acted like outboard skid blocks (the floor edges were only ~20 mm higher than the underside of the plank last year). IMO they couldn't do much in terms of defining ride height for the entire vehicle, because they were too far outboard and the floor edge is too flexible to act as a hard stop--whereas the plank and plank skid blocks do.

That may be why TD039 did not effect them--their ride height was already dialed in, thus no concerns about plank wear. The real trick was that the ice skates limited floor edge bending. Into 2023, everyone had to raise their floor edges so the skates became less needful. Currently they can only make contact during roll (I posted screenshot of this in the Ferrari thread), because the floor edges at high DF levels can't bend down to span the +15mm (~35mm total) during straight running.
𓄀

ringo

organic wrote:
11 Sep 2023, 17:58
The team runs the car very aggressively riding the plank... FIA have revised TD039 for Singapore with more focus on how teams are avoiding plank wear with flexible joints/discontinuities at the reference plane. This could definitely hurt the car more than others :? Only time will tell
Redbull have been riding the plank for years. But this car doesn't seem to do it much. I haven't really heard the sound on the onboards.
For Sure!!

TFSA

organic wrote:The team runs the car very aggressively riding the plank... FIA have revised TD039 for Singapore with more focus on how teams are avoiding plank wear with flexible joints/discontinuities at the reference plane. This could definitely hurt the car more than others :? Only time will tell
From what I've read, it's actually the other TD (which centers around wing movement) that's gonna have a bigger impact.

In terms of the cost cap, i also believe the floors are gonna be cheaper to fix if they don't comply with the TD.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

PackFansXL wrote:
11 Sep 2023, 18:06
The FIA seems desperate to reduce engineering advantages gained by the better teams. They mistakenly believe tight races where lucky breaks determine winners would be better for the spectators and the sport. I like F1 because it is actually engineering as a competitive sport watched by millions of spectators around the world. Removing engineering advantages would make it more like watching people playing Bingo and trying to get enjoyment from their excitement with their luck.
This is how F1 works. Teams will find loopholes in the regulations to exploit and the FIA responds with technical directives to reign those teams in once the loophole is discovered. When the FIA takes away a loophole, it's an engineering challenge to recoup the performance losses. When tight races happen in F1 the outcome boils down to a bit of luck and driver skill, those kinds of races are a joy watch. There is always an element of luck in winning an F1 race, even for Max. They've had to manage various issues on Max's car, hence why his race engineer has had to be firm with him at times over the team radio. They could let Max drive as fast as he wants to, but they might not bring the car home. Points are what matter to Red Bull.

Wouter

Red Bull Chief Adamant Singapore GP Rule Change Won't Affect Team

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner has spoken out on the tightened rules for the upcoming Singapore Grand Prix, but remains adamant that this won't be an issue for the Austrian team.

The Austrian team has won every race of the 2023 season so far and will be hoping to continue this incredible winning streak. However, Mercedes, Aston Martin, and Ferrari are expected to be strong at the Marina Bay Street Circuit. On top of this, Red Bull's sister team AlphaTauri is set to bring big upgrades to the race weekend.

The FIA has taken a decisive step with the introduction of technical directive TD018. This move comes amidst suspicions about teams manipulating the flexibility of front and rear wings for aerodynamic advantages. Such flexibility can offer teams improved downforce and reduced drag at high speeds.

The directive is rooted in Article 3.2.2 of the Technical Regulations, which mandates components to be “rigidly secured and immobile with respect to their frame of reference.” To ensure adherence and clarity, the FIA requested teams to furnish detailed assembly drawings and cross-sections of their cars. This will provide insights into how front and rear wing elements are integrated with other parts, such as the nose, rear-wing endplates, and rear-impact structure. By the Singapore GP, all designs flagged as non-compliant need rectifications.

Speaking about the changes, Horner insisted to the media that he doesn't see if affecting Red Bull. He explained:

“It’s not something that affects us.
“We’ve seen a few rubbery nose boxes, shall we say, so we’ll see those get addressed, I guess, in Singapore.”
The Power of Dreams!

Sieper

I remember pre season test when the Ferrari nose bent inwards, I just shrugged it off as to thin (weight) manufacturing but now with all this nose cone talk it seems they might have tried engineering a rubbery nose cone. Who knows.

organic

Sieper wrote:
13 Sep 2023, 14:28
I remember pre season test when the Ferrari nose bent inwards, I just shrugged it off as to thin (weight) manufacturing but it seems they might have tried engineering a rubbery nose cone.
They've also had wobbly wings at a couple of tracks. They're clearly pushing the limits in this area (but nothing is wrong with that

Bringing it back to RB, it's reassuring to hear Horner say something so concrete rather than dance around it with a "let's see" etc

Sieper

organic wrote:
13 Sep 2023, 14:30
Sieper wrote:
13 Sep 2023, 14:28
I remember pre season test when the Ferrari nose bent inwards, I just shrugged it off as to thin (weight) manufacturing but it seems they might have tried engineering a rubbery nose cone.
They've also had wobbly wings at a couple of tracks. They're clearly pushing the limits in this area (but nothing is wrong with that

Bringing it back to RB, it's reassuring to hear Horner say something so concrete rather than dance around it with a "let's see" etc
Agree, teams must try and push. Good that they also most times seem to know what the others are up to. Indeed Horner is quite clear. Good.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

RB should do some "slow" laps in Q1 to have a bit of fun with the internet :lol:

organic

Checo on the Markogate

“I had a one-on-one conversation with him. He apologised. That was the most important thing for me. Now let's put that behind us

Knowing Helmut like I say, I have a personal relationship with him. I know he doesn't mean it that way. And I personally didn't get offended at all”

“Whatever he or I say in the media is different than what we discuss in person. We have a good relationship”

Wouter

organic wrote:
14 Sep 2023, 14:14
Checo on the Markogate
“I had a one-on-one conversation with him. He apologised. That was the most important thing for me. Now let's put that behind us

Knowing Helmut like I say, I have a personal relationship with him. I know he doesn't mean it that way. And I personally didn't get offended at all”

“Whatever he or I say in the media is different than what we discuss in person. We have a good relationship”
And more ...... https://www.motorsport-total.com/formel ... o-23091414
This is what Perez says about the racism furor surrounding Helmut Marko

Perez confirms "one-on-one" meeting with Marko

Marko apologized to Perez himself when he realized that he had kicked a hornet's nest: "I had a private conversation with him. He apologized. That was the most important thing for me. Now we're putting that behind us," Perez confirms.

He says, "I know Helmut. I know he doesn't mean it the way it was understood. We all make mistakes. What happens in public or in the media, I can't control. If I read the comments from afar, I might feel the same way. But for me, the personal relationship is the most important thing."

There is probably no one in the Formula One paddock who would seriously accuse Marko of having a racist worldview. The fact that he is serving a cliché with the way he formulated his statement is another matter. He has since formally apologized for this in a written statement.

Perez, meanwhile, reveals that Marko speaks just as directly and openly in personal conversations with him as he does in the media: "He tells you to your face what he thinks. That's something I really appreciate about him, that he's very transparent. Also to the media and the outside world, but also to us drivers."

"If you read the statements in isolation, they can seem quite disrespectful. But as I said, I know Helmut. That helps a lot in understanding what he really means. He apologized to me personally. What really happens between us is much more important to me than what's written about it outside."
The Power of Dreams!

organic

ringo

When he says our car does he mean his chassis vs perez? :P
Because i dont see redbull having any kind of challenge at Singapore.
The car will be strong. Ferrari and Mclaren may warm the tyres quicker but once up to temps RB19 should go well.
For Sure!!