[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2023 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
LVDH

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2023 (Grand Prix Cars)

I sent them out now. I just noticed that some reports did not upload to the cloud. I will check that tomorrow.

Busor
Busor

Hi again,

i'm in the middle of redesigning larger parts of my car and have some questions about some of the rules, maybe someone can clarify:

Engine Inlet:
Rule 7.1.3: Must be located within the bodywork volume at a point 1880mm rearward of the FWCL, and 700mm above the reference plane.
-> Does this mean the engineIn surface has to be on X=1880 mm or just somewhere rearward of X=1880? If the first is true, the picture in the regulations where bodywork can go forward of that surface to form a smooth inlet wouldn't be possible, as the box for the bodywork ends at exactly X=1880.

Bodywork:
I see two possibilities so submit the wheel deflectors/winglets in the rules:
9.2 Parts inside of the volumes:

RV_FLOOR_FENCE_V01
RV_FRT_WHL_DEFL_V05
RV_FRT_WING_VOL_V02
RV_RR_WING_2023_V01
RV_RR_WHL_Winglet_V01
must be included into the high_res folder.
and
9.8 Parts MAND_FRT_SUSP_2023_V* and those inside of RV_FRT_WHL_DEFL_V* must be placed into the folder “frt_suspension”. Parts MAND_RR_SUSP_2023_V* and those in RV_RR_WHL_Winglet_V* must be placed into the folder “rr_suspension”.
While I agree to put a high resolution on the wheel deflectors, it that case it would cause the deflectors to be translated downwards if any ride height adjustment is applied. So clearly rule 9.8 is there to prevent that, I just would like to suggest, that the "RV_FRT_WHL_DEFL_V05" and "RV_RR_WHL_Winglet_V01" volumes are removed from rule 9.2.

and lastly bodywork/10mm thickness:
I'm a little confused looking at the car renders. It seems that some floors/diffusors are flat surfaces. I'm not sure I got it right, but I understood that the floor should be at a minimum thickness of 10 mm at any point? Am I seeing the renders wrong or reading the rules wrong? :D

And I haven't recieved any report from the monza race, is that correct?
Edit: I recieved it just now.

Thanks for your help.
Busor

LVDH

Busor wrote:
11 Sep 2023, 15:08
Hi again,

i'm in the middle of redesigning larger parts of my car and have some questions about some of the rules, maybe someone can clarify:

Engine Inlet:
Rule 7.1.3: Must be located within the bodywork volume at a point 1880mm rearward of the FWCL, and 700mm above the reference plane.
-> Does this mean the engineIn surface has to be on X=1880 mm or just somewhere rearward of X=1880? If the first is true, the picture in the regulations where bodywork can go forward of that surface to form a smooth inlet wouldn't be possible, as the box for the bodywork ends at exactly X=1880.
It can be behind the 1880mm plane. Not sure why this is not possible, but I cannot open the CAD files right now.

Busor wrote:
Bodywork:
I see two possibilities so submit the wheel deflectors/winglets in the rules:
9.2 Parts inside of the volumes:

RV_FLOOR_FENCE_V01
RV_FRT_WHL_DEFL_V05
RV_FRT_WING_VOL_V02
RV_RR_WING_2023_V01
RV_RR_WHL_Winglet_V01
must be included into the high_res folder.
and
9.8 Parts MAND_FRT_SUSP_2023_V* and those inside of RV_FRT_WHL_DEFL_V* must be placed into the folder “frt_suspension”. Parts MAND_RR_SUSP_2023_V* and those in RV_RR_WHL_Winglet_V* must be placed into the folder “rr_suspension”.
While I agree to put a high resolution on the wheel deflectors, it that case it would cause the deflectors to be translated downwards if any ride height adjustment is applied. So clearly rule 9.8 is there to prevent that, I just would like to suggest, that the "RV_FRT_WHL_DEFL_V05" and "RV_RR_WHL_Winglet_V01" volumes are removed from rule 9.2.
Maybe you do not quite understand the rule, or I am once more having issues understanding my own words, but the idea is to put the mandatory suspension parts and the parts inside of the volumes into the mentioned folders. Putting the parts into these folders does not only add additional mesh refinement but also affects how the parts are morphed. The morphing is only 98% good, but for the most part, you should barely be able to notice that the deflectors get morphed, if you place them into another folder you might be able to see it rather clearly.

Busor wrote:
and lastly bodywork/10mm thickness:
I'm a little confused looking at the car renders. It seems that some floors/diffusors are flat surfaces. I'm not sure I got it right, but I understood that the floor should be at a minimum thickness of 10 mm at any point? Am I seeing the renders wrong or reading the rules wrong? :D
Check out rules A1.1 & A1.2

Busor wrote:
And I haven't recieved any report from the monza race, is that correct?
Edit: I recieved it just now.

Thanks for your help.
Yes, you were among the two teams that did not receive it in my first try and it seems for you I needed three, no idea why, though.

HermesMotorsport

Hi everyone!
I have a question concerning MantiumFlow and the cooling. I seem to get very unrealistic values for the flow inside my radiator. For example in the official report I got the value 0.65...m^3/s but when I do my simulation I get values like 0.022...m^3/s . I guess I must be setting wrong my case, but I can't figure out what to change. If anyone has an idea of how to solve this problem I'd be very thankful!

CAEdevice

HermesMotorsport wrote:
11 Sep 2023, 21:27
Hi everyone!
I have a question concerning MantiumFlow and the cooling. I seem to get very unrealistic values for the flow inside my radiator. For example in the official report I got the value 0.65...m^3/s but when I do my simulation I get values like 0.022...m^3/s . I guess I must be setting wrong my case, but I can't figure out what to change. If anyone has an idea of how to solve this problem I'd be very thankful!
Are the stl files of heat exchangers and monitoring surfaces refined enough (triangles smaller than 10mm?)

HermesMotorsport

CAEdevice wrote:
11 Sep 2023, 22:14
Are the stl files of heat exchangers and monitoring surfaces refined enough (triangles smaller than 10mm?)
Okay, I'll try refining the mesh and see if I get a better result. Thank you very much!

Busor
Busor

LVDH wrote:
11 Sep 2023, 21:11

It can be behind the 1880mm plane. Not sure why this is not possible, but I cannot open the CAD files right now.
If it can be behind X=1880mm then thats fine, just being exactly on the 1800mm plane would be more difficult.

LVDH wrote:

Maybe you do not quite understand the rule, or I am once more having issues understanding my own words, but the idea is to put the mandatory suspension parts and the parts inside of the volumes into the mentioned folders. Putting the parts into these folders does not only add additional mesh refinement but also affects how the parts are morphed. The morphing is only 98% good, but for the most part, you should barely be able to notice that the deflectors get morphed, if you place them into another folder you might be able to see it rather clearly.
Yes I get that, but how i understand it, rule 9.2 requires the front wheel deflector to go in the high_res folder, while rule 9.8 says it has to go in the frt_suspension folder. And i assume the part shouldn't be in both folders? Or am I reading this horribly wrong?
LVDH wrote:

Yes, you were among the two teams that did not receive it in my first try and it seems for you I needed three, no idea why, though.
Got it, thanks!
Busor

Koldskaal

Busor wrote:
Yes I get that, but how i understand it, rule 9.2 requires the front wheel deflector to go in the high_res folder, while rule 9.8 says it has to go in the frt_suspension folder. And i assume the part shouldn't be in both folders? Or am I reading this horribly wrong?
The parts that are attached to the wheels should be placed in the respective frt/rr suspension folder.

I'm guessing that they were mentioned in 9.2 first, before the suspension-morphing worked. And simply not removed from 9.2 after they were given a new folder in 9.8
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

LVDH

HermesMotorsport wrote:
11 Sep 2023, 21:27
Hi everyone!
The issue with your monitoring surface is mainly because it was not a surface. You send a flat volume. This means you have overlapping triangles with surface normals pointing in two directions, one is pointing forward one backward. So one counts positive flow rate and one negative. This is why you get a value close to zero.
Also, please have a look at this:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/porous-media-openfoam/

Koldskaal wrote:
12 Sep 2023, 16:51
Busor wrote:
The parts that are attached to the wheels should be placed in the respective frt/rr suspension folder.

I'm guessing that they were mentioned in 9.2 first, before the suspension-morphing worked. And simply not removed from 9.2 after they were given a new folder in 9.8
OK, I will fix this, this weekend...

HermesMotorsport

LVDH wrote:
15 Sep 2023, 08:22
The issue with your monitoring surface is mainly because it was not a surface. You send a flat volume. This means you have overlapping triangles with surface normals pointing in two directions, one is pointing forward one backward. So one counts positive flow rate and one negative. This is why you get a value close to zero.
Also, please have a look at this:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/porous-media-openfoam/
Oh, Ok. Thank you very much!

yinlad

The flow over the top of G-Raph's car is outrageous, a work of art
MVRC - Panthera

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

Finally able to get a good look at the rear wing profiles, even though some may have been changed for Monza.

LVDH

In general, I do not want to give advice about aero development, but you guys should have a look at dead areas, esp. the one found on many cars behind the driver head. If you fill it up, the CFD simulations will be a bit faster.

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

Didnt even realize it, but these pictures show a lot more than meets the eye.

Also could I just clarify what the lowest ride height we are allowed without rake. I thought I was at the lowest ride height allowed, but there are many cars that look lower in the pictures.