TD018 2023 - clampdown on flexible wings

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ringo

Re: TD018 2023 - clampdown on flexible wings

the wear is heavily to the front, and so is the very thin section that has been burst open.

I do not know what to make of the rubbery looking inboard part of the upper front wing elements. But we do see that even for most of the teams, the elements slide downward under high load.
I do not think this is black paint, it's clearly some kind of rubber covering.
For Sure!!

organic

I agree that those elements look to have a rubber covering of some kind

However, Horner claimed at Monza when asked about TD018/Flexi-wing stuff that it wasn't something that would affect RB, but we'll see about that I guess.

dialtone
dialtone

Just_a_fan wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:
11 Sep 2023, 22:39
Where do you draw the line between contravening a requirement and poorly worded regulations?

There is no ‘cheating’ it’s just a case of finding a loop hole in the regulations.
"The plank is to be a single homogenous unit and must be rigidly bolted to the chassis with no degree of freedom in any axis". If you bolt it in such a way that it moves e.g. clever bolts, using a soft interlayer, cutting the plank, etc., then you're cheating.

"The plank must be bolted to the chassis". Bingo, lots of loophole space there so almost impossible to cheat so long as you use bolts to connect plank to chassis.
Are you familiar with the theory of incomplete contracts? All but the simplest contracts are incomplete. Something like formula 1 is always incomplete. Saying that you can come along and solve the issue for everyone should at minimum feel unbelievable.

Your definition is obviously lacking as well when it comes to definition of what is homogeneous for example and the obvious physical impossibility of creating a perfectly rigid body when bolting 2 things together, so you end up having to define a method of measurement.

What if I built the bolts themselves, which your rule didn’t specify, in such a way that their head is going to be itself the dampening factor?

vorticism

organic wrote:
11 Sep 2023, 23:49
I agree that those elements look to have a rubber covering of some kind

However, Horner claimed at Monza when asked about TD018/Flexi-wing stuff that it wasn't something that would affect RB, but we'll see about that I guess.
Paint/anodizing. Those inboard elements are metal. They are narrow and small in section; as such less benefit to laying them up in CF, while saving time and material cost as a machined part. Note the slot gap separators are integral to it.

ringo wrote:
11 Sep 2023, 23:22

Checo's crash in Monza, did reveal a very thin floor structure; possibly with some insulating material.
Also illustrates how hollow the keel is. The center floor area as a whole could deform like a trampoline. Tradeoff is: how much of a gap can be made between the top of the plank and the monocoque/engine block. To make more space implies raising CoG.

Important to know that the floor test is done with three rams pushing up into/around the three holes in the plank. Two tests--one with the rams going through the holes straight to the chassis (to test chassis stiffness in Y plane bending), the other with rams pushing on the perimeter of the holes to test for plank movement. Notice that teams put the skid blocks near these holes. From there it's easy to see how the rest of the plank is unconstrained. As far as I've seen all teams have hole adjacent skid blocks and seams in their planks.
𓄀

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

dialtone wrote:
12 Sep 2023, 00:23
Just_a_fan wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:
11 Sep 2023, 22:39
Where do you draw the line between contravening a requirement and poorly worded regulations?

There is no ‘cheating’ it’s just a case of finding a loop hole in the regulations.
"The plank is to be a single homogenous unit and must be rigidly bolted to the chassis with no degree of freedom in any axis". If you bolt it in such a way that it moves e.g. clever bolts, using a soft interlayer, cutting the plank, etc., then you're cheating.

"The plank must be bolted to the chassis". Bingo, lots of loophole space there so almost impossible to cheat so long as you use bolts to connect plank to chassis.
Are you familiar with the theory of incomplete contracts? All but the simplest contracts are incomplete. Something like formula 1 is always incomplete. Saying that you can come along and solve the issue for everyone should at minimum feel unbelievable.

Your definition is obviously lacking as well when it comes to definition of what is homogeneous for example and the obvious physical impossibility of creating a perfectly rigid body when bolting 2 things together, so you end up having to define a method of measurement.

What if I built the bolts themselves, which your rule didn’t specify, in such a way that their head is going to be itself the dampening factor?
It's a simplified example to show that a basic rule is more easily "defeated", not an attempt to write the rules. :roll:

The obvious way around the plank issue is to have the FIA supply the plank and fixings and to define exactly how it is all to be put together.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Zynerji

That reads like you are saying there is a channel in the sidepod that is causing a venturi effect that actually pulls the backside of the floor out of shape at speed to change volume/geometry, and then relaxes back to normal under a certain threshold. True flexi-floor...

I'm sure expandable floor sidewalls would avoid porpoising as a convenient side-effect as well...🤔

ringo

The floor need only scrape the track and be pressed in a few mm. And this doesnt have to be the whole plank plane.
The front quarter can be collapsed to allow the rear to come down closer to the ground. And for even more movement the rear of the car can pivot around the collapsed part and come closer to ground.
For Sure!!

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I'm sure that RB's applecart will come tumbling down in Singapore. Let's hope they can make Q3.

FW17

I do not understand this TD from the FIA.

If concealed parts and hidden mechanisms were found with sole purpose of flexing the wing beyond the test limits, why has the FIA not disqualified the team where in this device was found? How is that they allow it to happen on multiple occasions, and now issue a TD as to say it is unacceptable now, but was ok in the past 15 race weekends?

Juzh

FW17 wrote:
12 Sep 2023, 07:43

If concealed parts and hidden mechanisms were found with sole purpose of flexing the wing beyond the test limits, why has the FIA not disqualified the team where in this device was found? How is that they allow it to happen on multiple occasions, and now issue a TD as to say it is unacceptable now, but was ok in the past 15 race weekends?
again the same old story with the legality questions and calls for DSQ :wtf: it was legal before TD and now it's not. That's how TDs work.

FW17

If concealed parts and hidden mechanisms were found then how were the aero surfaces fixed rigidly?

dans79

FW17 wrote:
12 Sep 2023, 08:55
If concealed parts and hidden mechanisms were found then how were the aero surfaces fixed rigidly?
The fia wants to save face for themselves and whoever they think might be breaking the rules.

The fia stopped being a true governing body decades ago.
201 105 104 9 9 7

Cs98
Cs98

FW17 wrote:

It's hilarious (and a bit insane) we have this discussion every time there's a TD. The clarification came for a reason. If a team passed through FIA scrutineering in 15 races previously the FIA can't come in now and say "you're disqualified". The team can just say, "well, there's your FIA signature saying our car was legal to race". New rules are not retroactive.
If concealed parts and hidden mechanisms were found with sole purpose of flexing the wing beyond the test limits
They clearly weren't flexing "beyond test limits", then they would've been caught by the test. As is usually the case with these TDs, the FIA realised their test was inadequate.

FW17

Cs98 wrote:
12 Sep 2023, 13:59
FW17 wrote:

It's hilarious (and a bit insane) we have this discussion every time there's a TD. The clarification came for a reason. If a team passed through FIA scrutineering in 15 races previously the FIA can't come in now and say "you're disqualified". The team can just say, "well, there's your FIA signature saying our car was legal to race". New rules are not retroactive.
If concealed parts and hidden mechanisms were found with sole purpose of flexing the wing beyond the test limits
They clearly weren't flexing "beyond test limits", then they would've been caught by the test. As is usually the case with these TDs, the FIA realised their test was inadequate.
Not talking about DQ now, but at the event where the mechanism was found on inspection of the car.

https://www.f1technical.net/news/19827

Last time it happened a team was disqualified

RZS10

Important to note that back then the wing did not pass the deflection test first and foremost - key difference.