2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

trinidefender wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 14:20
mwillems wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 13:54
mwillems wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 13:20

Getting more air to the rear.
He's only 4 tenths off Norris but it maybe that on raw performance they are within a tenth and the rest is the update. But it was impressive from Piastri in FP3.
The gap between them is usually between 0.15 and 0.3 seconds per lap depending on track length and other factors. Probably not more than 0.25 with this track length.

With a 0.427 gap that generally puts this upgrade at somewhere between 0.13 and 0.28 seconds a lap for this track length.

To add to that remember that Piastri also did get some of the new parts. So that's just the parts that Lando got that Piastri didn't. I guess the parts we know that LN got that OP didn't get are new floor and sidepods. Can anyone else confirm if OP got any of the other new parts?

Edit. Looking at stills from the FP3 video it doesn't look like he's using the new front wing end plates either. It's a bit too grainy for me to tell if he's using the updated halo furniture or not. Parts that OP might be running but I personally can't confirm are:
  • rear wing end plate
    New halo furniture
    New rear brake ducts
    New rear toe link shroud
    New beam wing geometry
I checked, Oscar drove with the old spec front wing, and Lando with the new one.

Darth-Piekus

So big question. The FIA made a rule change regarding the flapping of the front and rear wings. Its still early to say but is it possible that Red Bull was affected a lot by it? They seem out of place here after that change and I have a feeling Mclaren might have lost some from their speed from that change also.

mwillems

If they have a poor race and Q you'd think so.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

ScottR267
ScottR267

Gotta feel sorry for Piastri there, rub of the green however

CjC
CjC

Piastri catch a break man🤦🏼‍♂️
Just a fan's point of view

Ben1980
Ben1980

Probably don't need to worry about the undercut this time.

Darth-Piekus

This is why you dont let anyone drive an F1 car. Piastri paid the price of a mediocre driver.

Well that was a huge combo of badluck (asphalt improving a lot and the accident coming at the last second).
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 16 Sep 2023, 15:25, edited 1 time in total.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Both Landos and Oscars last lap was bot great, I guess they couldn't get a proper gap and prepare the lap. I am not sure if Piastri would have gone through without the crash.

He was 0.8 behind Tsunoda after 2 sectors, and that would be out. Unlucky with lap preparation and red flag.
Last edited by FittingMechanics on 16 Sep 2023, 15:26, edited 1 time in total.

trinidefender
trinidefender

LionsHeart wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 14:55
trinidefender wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 14:20
mwillems wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 13:54

He's only 4 tenths off Norris but it maybe that on raw performance they are within a tenth and the rest is the update. But it was impressive from Piastri in FP3.
The gap between them is usually between 0.15 and 0.3 seconds per lap depending on track length and other factors. Probably not more than 0.25 with this track length.

With a 0.427 gap that generally puts this upgrade at somewhere between 0.13 and 0.28 seconds a lap for this track length.

To add to that remember that Piastri also did get some of the new parts. So that's just the parts that Lando got that Piastri didn't. I guess the parts we know that LN got that OP didn't get are new floor and sidepods. Can anyone else confirm if OP got any of the other new parts?

Edit. Looking at stills from the FP3 video it doesn't look like he's using the new front wing end plates either. It's a bit too grainy for me to tell if he's using the updated halo furniture or not. Parts that OP might be running but I personally can't confirm are:
  • rear wing end plate
    New halo furniture
    New rear brake ducts
    New rear toe link shroud
    New beam wing geometry
I checked, Oscar drove with the old spec front wing, and Lando with the new one.
I already confirmed that from FP3 like I said in my post. "Looking at stills from the FP3 video it doesn't look like he's using the new front wing end plates either."

I'm asking about the other parts mentioned in the list.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Darth-Piekus wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 15:22
This is why you dont let anyone drive an F1 car. Piastri paid the price of a mediocre driver.

Well that was a huge combo of badluck (asphalt improving a lot and the accident coming at the last second).
Mediocre maybe, but with 3 podiums and a pole, some better stats than many on the grid.

Darth-Piekus

How do you strategise with an asphalt that can improve a lot at the last second and be at the right time to do your run last without having cars damaging your run?

Also yes he does have 3 podiums and a pole just because of the car. He is a better driver than any of us writing but he is bad compared to a lot of other drivers in F1.

Do you think that there should be a rule giving drivers that get shafted from unfortunate Red Flags another chance of a flying lap?
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 16 Sep 2023, 15:30, edited 1 time in total.

trinidefender
trinidefender

ScottR267 wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 15:20
Gotta feel sorry for Piastri there, rub of the green however
In this case literally green.

Time for Stroll to leave the sport. His father talks as if he's still a rookie with a lot of talent left to show. Yes he's only 24 but this is his 7th season in the sport. He's not going to get much faster than he already is

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Darth-Piekus wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 15:27
How do you strategise with an asphalt that can improve a lot at the last second and be at the right time to do your run last without having cars damaging your run?

Also yes he does have 3 podiums and a pole just because of the car. He is a better driver than any of us writing but he is bad compared to a lot of other drivers in F1.

Do you think that there should be a rule giving drivers that get shafted from unfortunate Red Flags another chance of a flying lap?
Hard to do, but maybe you send out Piastri a bit earlier. Easy to say now though.

Darth-Piekus

And then we have Max Verstappen impeding other cars in the pitlane and the stewards will see that after the session like it's so hard to see it now while removing the car.

MrGapes

damn, glad Oscar made it through that shunt safely... he found a lot of time from yesterday, I think stick him on hards tomorrow and run him very long.