2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Can anyone explain what happened with Oscar? I didn't watch the session, what were the takeaways?
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

MrGapes

I don't know if we are all seeing the same lap... I suggest you go see the other drivers lap, they are all sliding..

we are running the car far more stiff, even touching the kerb unsettles the car.

some of ya'll are never happy :lol:
Last edited by MrGapes on 16 Sep 2023, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.

Ben1980
Ben1980

mwillems wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 16:38
Can anyone explain what happened with Oscar? I didn't watch the session, what were the takeaways?
He was looking very close to getting out of q1, maybe wouldn't have made it. Then Stroll crashed and it was redundant anyway.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

mwillems wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 16:38
The short version, caught out by Stroll's red flag, but full disclosure, wasn't on a particularly good lap.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Hoping for a good start from Lando and some Russell kamikaze magic at turn 1🙏. Best chance at a victory this year if we get track position due to circumstances.

Seerix
Seerix

With redbulls starting behind (and VER likely having more penalties going his way) there is a chance for some nice result tomorrow. Hopefully team will be on top of it and Lando as well. Fingers crossed.

MrGapes

Macklaren wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 16:37
Lando's lap looked very scruffy. He's not happy with starting P4 on the dirty side
won't really matter, its forecast to rain several times before race start soo it will wash the rubber anyway.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Slightly disappointed with P4 as Red Bull was eliminated, but it has to be said that both Ferrari and Mercedes looked quick.

Hopefully this is "Austria" of this upgrade and next races they unlock the potential like they did in Silverstone and Hungary. but this time without Red Bull to spoil the party.

Darth-Piekus

Fitting have in mind that there is a possibility Singapore favored Ferrari and Mercedes over Mclaren with slow corners and large straights. Mclaren has fixed that drag and slow corners problem though. Not fully but some of it. Suzuka however might be a whole different matter playing on the strengths of Mclaren with one straight and a lot of high speed corners unless the Flexi Wings and Floor rule change affected Mclaren a lot also.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Interesting results. To be honest, I didn’t expect this from Red Bull, it was a big surprise. Lando's lap pace was very good. In general, I would say that the car is not bad, the main loss of time occurs in the second sector.

If it rains in the race tomorrow, the results will be unpredictable.

Edit: Perhaps the updated technical directive had a slight impact on the speed and greatly affected the balance of the Red Bull chassis. So far there is no other explanation. They dominated all the teams all season, but here they had a distinctly weak qualification. Lawson is riding for the first time in Singapore and has just started to roll into the junior bull team and immediately outpaced the senior team.
Last edited by LionsHeart on 16 Sep 2023, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.

Seerix
Seerix

Have you guys noticed Lando was the only one coming out of the last turn in the middle of the track? Everyone else ended up hugging the outer right side.
Kinda curious why he chose different line.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Darth-Piekus wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 16:53
Fitting have in mind that there is a possibility Singapore favored Ferrari and Mercedes over Mclaren with slow corners and large straights. Mclaren has fixed that drag and slow corners problem though. Not fully but some of it. Suzuka however might be a whole different matter playing on the strengths of Mclaren with one straight and a lot of high speed corners unless the Flexi Wings and Floor rule change affected Mclaren a lot also.
Yeah, that is my hope as well. It really might be our Austria with Lando P4 and Piastri struggling without the upgrade. Let's get that win before the end of the season, the team deserves it.

Upside is that the team knows they can fight Mercedes and Ferrari tomorrow, as some said, it might get spicy, big stakes.

Xero

Seerix wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 16:58
Have you guys noticed Lando was the only one coming out of the last turn in the middle of the track? Everyone else ended up hugging the outer right side.
I just think it's a perk of this car in high speed corners, the ability to shorten the straight without scrubbing off much speed. The data will tell it's quicker for him. It's great to see that despite alterations to address drag and slow speed, the high speed advantage remains. The team have done an amazing job developing the car this season.

Oscar so unlucky once again, but may have struggled to post a time good enough to get to Q3. He's been driving so well all weekend in the older package. Lando just doing Lando, right up at the sharp end with quick laps. He has a chance tomorrow, can't help but feel this race will be won in the pitlane. Too close on track!

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Seerix wrote:
This is not the first time Lando has made such a trick in qualifying in the last 3-4 years. I have seen this before at Silverstone in different years. Someone said that he brought a similar technique from sim racing.

Seerix
Seerix

LionsHeart wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 17:22
Seerix wrote:
This is not the first time Lando has made such a trick in qualifying in the last 3-4 years. I have seen this before at Silverstone in different years. Someone said that he brought a similar technique from sim racing.
He often uses different lines during wet/drying conditions. In Austria turn 3 he often looked like he went wide, but he just used such wide line. It's kinda interesting to me, because everyone else usually just uses the same 'optimal' line. Nice to see some variety.