2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

Re: 2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Spoutnik wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 16:58
Hamilton was never good around Singapore, remember 2016 he was nowhere near Rosberg, last year he had a disasterclass...
Ofc he's an incredible driver so there's his 2018 lap, his deserved 2012... But imo it's like Austria : it's one of these tracks he doesn't like
Hmm, yeah, I bet you are correct. Probably 2018 stands out in my mind, that's why I'm influenced to think he reckons well here.

But, still, he was miles off. I get that he's putting a lot of weight on Sunday's pace this year, and I would not be surprised if he was close to Russell, but 2nd to 5th is a long way unfortunately.

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

Excellent job by Russell. With a good start tomorrow for both Mercedes drivers, they are in the battle for the win. Ferrari's tyre deg will likely show up again tomorrow, so the waiting game will be key.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Bill_Kar wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 17:01
Spoutnik wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 16:58
Hamilton was never good around Singapore, remember 2016 he was nowhere near Rosberg, last year he had a disasterclass...
Ofc he's an incredible driver so there's his 2018 lap, his deserved 2012... But imo it's like Austria : it's one of these tracks he doesn't like
Hmm, yeah, I bet you are correct. Probably 2018 stands out in my mind, that's why I'm influenced to think he reckons well here.

But, still, he was miles off. I get that he's putting a lot of weight on Sunday's pace this year, and I would not be surprised if he was close to Russell, but 2nd to 5th is a long way unfortunately.
I think it's not that bad he's ahead of Alonso, and I'm pretty sure he will be in the mix tomorrow.
Maybe he'll benefit from a super powerful undercut, pitting first, like Vettel in 2019 (he was starting 3rd)

To develop my first idea ; in 2017 he was nowhere in qualy but won due to chaos in lap 1. 2019 beat Bottas confortably but couldn't catch the Ferrari in qualy, and overtook in the pit by Verstappen.
In 2013, he finished behind Rosberg (P6).
In 2015 DNF + Merc disasterclass, but Rosberg was pretty close.
etc...
Before Mercedes, at McLaren, if we exclude 2012, he never had a particularly brillant performance around here.

I think this track is too "something" for his driving style

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

No way they'll overtake a Ferrari on track unless it's at the start. The ferrari has too much top speed and the track's new layout will still make it really hard to overtake. The gameplan should be simple: Go for the undercut. Russell needs to stay within 2 sec of Sainz for the first stint and pit to overtake at the right opportunity. Of course a safety car is likely here and can throw the race on its head. A winnable race but far from a foregone conclusion.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Hammerfist wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 17:46
No way they'll overtake a Ferrari on track unless it's at the start. The ferrari has too much top speed and the track's new layout will still make it really hard to overtake. The gameplan should be simple: Go for the undercut. Russell needs to stay within 2 sec of Sainz for the first stint and pit to overtake at the right opportunity. Of course a safety car is likely here and can throw the race on its head. A winnable race but far from a foregone conclusion.
Sainz might be pressured into a mistake. See Silverstone '22, and Monza '23.

Astro85
Astro85

Russell will grab the win tomorrow, he will drive like a man possessed.

dans79

George is also looking comparatively better, because he got a brand new engine in Italy.

new ICE, TC, MGU-H, and MGU-k
https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... tition.pdf

Lewis hasn't used more than 3 of any of the major components, while Gorge now has 4 of everything.
https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... %20now.pdf
201 105 104 9 9 7

Astro85
Astro85

dans79 wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 18:26
George is also looking comparatively better, because he got a brand new engine in Italy.

new ICE, TC, MGU-H, and MGU-k
https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... tition.pdf

Lewis hasn't used more than 3 of any of the major components, while Gorge now has 4 of everything.
https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... %20now.pdf
You're talking less than a tenth at most, it would barely make a difference around Singapore, plus, didn't Hamilton have the same luxury in Spa?

dialtone
dialtone

AR3-GP wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 00:08
Hold that thought for qualifying.
Thought held :)

SAI v RUS

Look at that straight to T7 (1000m-1800m) with that nice smile shape on the gap.

As mentioned in my previous post:

* Main straight "big" loss, with DRS
* End of straight to T7 speed advantage on Ferrari past 300kph.
* Big clipping into T10 (2600m)
* Straights into T14 and T16 with upticks at the end of the straight.

Engine is clipping a bit, won't be a big deal in race because unlike Ferrari they manage tires well but without the straights Ferrari wasn't on pole. Engine and straights matter also in Singapore, sadly track layout doesn't allow much passing but maybe this year will be different.

ringo

Leclerc will run both Sainz and Russel off the road. Russel will pit for a puncture or front wing damage.
Hamilton is average in Singapore because of tyre prep. He doesn't get it right at street circuits. Check his history at Monaco also. Always has tyre issues. I think age is also a factor, he loses a lot here to Russel in the middle sector, the most demanding sections.
But.. his experience works for him. Russel tends to gamble on extremes. He could have an extreme setup, or could wear the tyres down. Nonetheless he could win if he can get past the Ferraris, but he will have a red car up "his arse" as he likes to put it, by lap 10. And Leclerc will overtake him.
For Sure!!

diffuser

ringo wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 20:30
Leclerc will run both Sainz and Russel off the road. Russel will pit for a puncture or front wing damage.
Hamilton is average in Singapore because of tyre prep. He doesn't get it right at street circuits. Check his history at Monaco also. Always has tyre issues. I think age is also a factor, he loses a lot here to Russel in the middle sector, the most demanding sections.
But.. his experience works for him. Russel tends to gamble on extremes. He could have an extreme setup, or could wear the tyres down. Nonetheless he could win if he can get past the Ferraris, but he will have a red car up "his arse" as he likes to put it, by lap 10. And Leclerc will overtake him.
He needs alot of luck to win.

ringo

Starting P5 doesnt need much luck. Maybe a good start is enough.
Sainz, Russel, Leclerc, Norris, Hamilton.
Jumping norris and sitting behind leclerc and wait on the fire works. This race is a long one and usually a race of attrition.
For Sure!!

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

ringo wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 02:25
Jumping norris and sitting behind leclerc and wait on the fire works. This race is a long one and usually a race of attrition.
Hamilton was a victim of the attrition last year.

Luscion
Luscion

ringo wrote:
He starts on the inside line so hopefully he can jump Norris, if he doesn't the good thing at least is based on the fp2 long run data McLaren aren't close to Merc and Ferrari in race pace.

Luscion
Luscion

Luscion wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 02:51
ringo wrote:
He starts on the inside line so hopefully he can jump Norris, if he doesn't the good thing at least is based on the fp2 long run data McLaren aren't close to Merc and Ferrari in race pace. I still don't think he gets a win if anything I see 2nd place unless Russell fumbles hard