2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
alonsofan
alonsofan

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

diffuser wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 19:42
alonsofan wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 18:21
diffuser wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 18:05

Think that's unfair statement. He improved in q3 in all his lap times. He just couldn't reproduce/improve the q2 s2 sector time. Don't forget the first q3 run was on used tires.
I'm quite amazed to read this statement coming frm you. But happy none the less.
I'm a long time Alonso fan despite being a Canadian Italian. So not sure why you're surprised?

Maybe cause I'm not a fan boy and try to be realistic?
I said it bec I think you had said in the past, that Alo can't nail a Q3 lap nowdays probably bec of his age.

max_speed
max_speed

What a disaster ? When they were supoosed to show up they were no where. This team has gone backwards.

KimiRai
KimiRai

An interesting idea from the Red Bull thread. Fernando mentioned something similar races ago but it was scrapped by the team & most people. Also an alternative explanation to the qualy woes apart from solely Fernando's age.

Farnborough wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 07:30
Something else looks to have moved it too...in comparison to last year and first half of this season...tyre change appears to have moved this chassis and AMR backwards in regard to single lap hot pace, both those two being the most gentle on their tyres in race pace for first part of season.
That shift seems to assist MB McL and FER in race tyre longevity as all relatively appear to benefit in tyre life at fast race pace.
That's consistent with what you'd expect from those changes, more durable under duress, but likely to be more difficult to pull into immediate action for those that were ok on previous iteration. Fairly subtle, but there all the same and has benefited the races overall.
Farnborough wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 08:22
Yes, the obvious "technical" qualifier (not qualifying as in F1) for me is that there's no point changing it in the first place if it didn't do anything at all :roll:
Conventionally, a shift to a more durable carcass involves incorporating less flex into it, effectively load range index. That will then support more load at same flex, or same load at reduced flex. The aim being to prevent the carcass going over temp and causing likely structural failure. Thats just conventional tyre engineering.
Anyone loading less in the extreme wouldn't heat the tyre so readily, with anyone up against the lifing limits then likely to see more clear safety margin if that load rating is raised / changed.

The upshot being a chassis that previously wore it's tyres quickly would likely see an extension of the lifing from this change.
Where as a a light user may then have difficulty in simply bringing that tyre to its optimum, hence a prolonged warming cycle.

F1doc
F1doc

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... 0kPtx.html

Service as usual: AM racing with only one car.

IMO the team need to be making this very decision for every weekend and instead put someone deserving into the seat.

noshbloke

F1doc wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 09:45
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... 0kPtx.html

Service as usual: AM racing with only one car.

IMO the team need to be making this very decision for every weekend and instead put someone deserving into the seat.
well we already get use to Alonso racing alone, so ......... nothing new

chrisc90

Why havent they used a reserve driver?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

chrisc90 wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 11:43
I don’t think that would be allowed on such short notice and even if it was, that reserve driver would never score points so it wouldn’t be worth it.

F1doc
F1doc

chrisc90 wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 11:43
It could have been a possibility had Lance's crash happened in FP3. My understanding is the reserve needs to run Qualifying to be eligible for the race.

F1doc
F1doc

AR3-GP wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 11:44
I don’t think that would be allowed on such short notice and even if it was, that reserve driver would never score points so it wouldn’t be worth it.
Would not scoring points be any different to usual? The experience gained with a race start would be worthwhile for any reserve.

diffuser

alonsofan wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 01:53
diffuser wrote:
alonsofan wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 18:21

I'm quite amazed to read this statement coming frm you. But happy none the less.
I'm a long time Alonso fan despite being a Canadian Italian. So not sure why you're surprised?

I said it bec I think you had said in the past, that Alo can't nail a Q3 lap nowdays probably bec of his age.
Nope, you have mixed me up with someone else.

I don't think we, as a fan base community, have the data available to be able to say with evidence that he is slower today that he was 10 years ago. Yes he is older. The only evidence we have is just how really good he still is in the rain. Alot of how good you are in the rain comes how good the car is. We've see him be successful in the rain when AMR was one of the best cars, when it was not as competitive and last year with Alpine (with a car that didn't have great mechanical grip). Although, that just show's he's still got it, not that he's better or worse than his younger self.

Jambier

Race pace very poor also for now Alpine is faster

SSJ4
SSJ4

Alonso been told to lift and coast since lap 7

F1doc
F1doc

Jambier wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 14:10
Race pace very poor also for now Alpine is faster
Let's see how it plays out. In traffic, Alonso tends to drop back to preserve tyres, fuel and overheating before closing the gap before pit windows.

noshbloke

safety car in

alonsofan
alonsofan

diffuser wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 12:52
alonsofan wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 01:53
diffuser wrote:

Nope, you have mixed me up with someone else.

I don't think we, as a fan base community, have the data available to be able to say with evidence that he is slower today that he was 10 years ago. Yes he is older. The only evidence we have is just how really good he still is in the rain. Alot of how good you are in the rain comes how good the car is. We've see him be successful in the rain when AMR was one of the best cars, when it was not as competitive and last year with Alpine (with a car that didn't have great mechanical grip). Although, that just show's he's still got it, not that he's better or worse than his younger self.
Sorry then, I must have mixed up, but somebody did say it.