2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
search

Re: 2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Luscion wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 02:51
ringo wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 02:25
Starting P5 doesnt need much luck. Maybe a good start is enough.
Sainz, Russel, Leclerc, Norris, Hamilton.
Jumping norris and sitting behind leclerc and wait on the fire works. This race is a long one and usually a race of attrition.
He starts on the inside line so hopefully he can jump Norris, if he doesn't the good thing at least is based on the fp2 long run data McLaren aren't close to Merc and Ferrari in race pace.
Norris was quickest in the long runs on Friday, although on softer tyres. So it's hard to compare, but his McLaren definitely looked very competitive.

Juzh

atanatizante

RUS and other drivers said there`s little to choose between a 1 and 2-stop race here. Based on the fact that many drivers said that they didn't get into the right tyre window (i.e. RB drivers sliding due to tyres not being hot enough), they seem to set up their cars for a 1 stop race. Now I`ve listened to HAM radio since FP1 and after FP2 he always asked about tyre temp even in qualy. Toto confirmed that he didn't properly warm up the right front tyre and HAM admitted somehow saying that he hoped to return to his best form around in the race ... so in order to do a 1-stop race he should start on the M tyre and then switch for an H tyre had it`s an early SC phase or an S tyre had it`s a late one, isn't it?

Having said that, it seems that RUS since Zanvort opted for a 2-stop race and thus towards a qualy setup, don't you think? And based on the SC history at Singapore do you think it`s the best strategy here?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

mkay
mkay

What a terrible unforced error by Russell at the end.

erudite450
erudite450

Hamilton shouldn't have been asked to give Norris the place back. He had the better line into the corner. Norris broke quite early - probably because he was slightly boxed in so his argument was actually flawed.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Russell is a very talented driver but he is still not polished enough to be taken seriously. The race pace is always lacking and the race craft is sometimes downright shocking. Very bad error today. Another missed opportunity. A shame because Merc had the right strategy, made all the right calls but Sainz to his credit was too clever, allowing Norris to have DRS so he wouldn't be passed.

ringo

Russel needs to let the team lead.
He puts so much energy into trying to be the director that he fluffs the music he needs to play.
If he just focuses on his driving he would do very well.
I even saw him directing the mechanic with the leaf blower to cool the brakes yesterday after q3. He is doing too much.
But the points gap increase between him and Lewis!
Hamilton just sitting back and observing what happens with this kid. He is a bit too relaxed, but i think he wont awaken until he gets a front row car.
For Sure!!

Sidiamal
Sidiamal

George Russell cost Mercedes the victory today, first by forcing his teammate off the track in Lap 1 instead of conceding defeat with dignity, and then put every chance of salvaging a victory in the garbage bin by holding him up instead of letting him by to use his far superior pace to overtake the leading duo.

Unfortunately, for all his talent, his obsession with wanting to be the man who beat Lewis has made him an active and constant liability to the team. Hamilton has to focus on making sure he qualifies ahead of GR at every race lest his teammate cost him again.

ringo

True! I forgot about turn 1.
Russel could have left room.
But he is feinding for more wins like a crack head feinding for the next high.
He will continue to hunger for wins until he gets a champiobship.
For Sure!!

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

j_ste
j_ste

That should have been hungary 2017, at least.

Also, lewis was ahead of Lando

dans79

ringo wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 16:33
He will continue to hunger for wins until he gets a championship.
Honestly I don't think he has the talent for it. He brought the new mediums up to temp far to fast, and then didn't change his lines much to ensure he feed clean air to the front brakes and tires.

considering he sees all of Lewis's data you would think he'd have learned by now!
201 105 104 9 9 7

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

It’s only with hindsight you can say that they should have switched them. They were expecting Russell to make it work, and with three laps to go it would have been a bit unfair to ask him to move over. Hamilton really had himself to blame, if you don’t qualify better on a track like this, it’s really hard to win.

With that said however, I am afraid Russell won’t stand a chance when Mercedes gets a car that can fight at the front, when both drivers will qualify high and be in more clear air. When Lewis gets a sniff of the win, he is relentless. Even on a weekend when Russell outqualifies Hamilton by 0.4s, he gets obliterated in the race once they both are in clear air and on the same compound.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

I fully agree with everyone about Russell. I will add that overall Hamilton is just the better racer, because he has more awareness and also he knows how to change his lines, how to manage the tyres, how to not put it into the wall when he sends it.

But the concern for me is tha tFerrari is closing the gap in the WCC due to Russell mistake :
- Mercedes : 289
- Ferrari : 265

On a more positive note, Hamilton has overtook Alonso in the WDC. Remarkable consistancy from him honestly.

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

I want your opinions here. For sure, Hamilton struggles quite a bit during Q, but how much of the difference is down on pure struggling from Hamilton's side and how much on GR's (possible) saturday oriented set-up?