2023 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, Sep 15 -17

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
grubschumi13
grubschumi13

Re: 2023 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, Sep 15 -17

Sainz did a fantastic job. He is proving a leader for Ferrari while Leclerc is sulking. His level head, positive words is motivating the team. Kind of makes you feel he has earned a voice in Ferrari because the way he was treated this season with their open favoritism of Leclerc and now it is Sainz getting the win and led the fight vs RBR in Monza.

Man, there seems like great relief on this forum that Russell crashed. Feels like some people here wish ill on him when he is ahead of Hamilton.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

napoleon1981 wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 16:27
Just_a_fan wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 16:25
napoleon1981 wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 16:21

George binned it trying to pass Norris desperately. Hamilton wasnt even on his mind. The fact that Hamilton would have won it IF George wasnt there shows that it did the opposite of aging badly imo.
Lewis closed down a 5s gap from George after the double-stack stop. Both in free air.

George binned it. Exactly.
George had a shot for the win, and Hamilton never did. Exactly
George had a shot and binned it. No one wins from the barriers. Meanwhile, Lewis goes on picking up yet more points.

George has had some great Saturdays this season but very few good Sundays. And it's Sunday that matters.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

chrisc90

InsaneX_Badger wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 16:10
PlatinumZealot wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 16:09
I'm still a bit worried that the RB19 still showed massive pace mid-race.. Erm.. But at least we know it bleeds red blood. We can kill it.
It certainly showed pace, what was the tyre deficit between Max and the mercedes? Could be worth looking at their stints?
Quite a bit still.... (but might be a little offset/hard to compare given traffic)

Data is up on F1-tempo now.
Last edited by chrisc90 on 17 Sep 2023, 16:32, edited 1 time in total.

jz11
jz11

bluechris wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 16:24
Why Hamilton was pushing so bad Russell? I don't see anyone here discussing this. To me the mistake of Russell is for a big percent because Hamilton wasn't giving to the guy that air to breath to attack on Norris. They run on different teams? For me it was huge mistake from the team and especially from Toto.
Russel didn't know what to think most likely, expecting Lewis to pounce on both him and Lando, which was probably why he looked so unsteady behind Lando, half-defending, half-attacking, and Lewis constantly looking for openings instead of allowing Russel to set up the overtake, doesn't excuse him for making the mistake however

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

grubschumi13 wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 16:29

Man, there seems like great relief on this forum that Russell crashed. Feels like some people here wish ill on him when he is ahead of Hamilton.
It's just push back against the Ham-hate comments that flowed from some after qualifying. No ill will for George from me.

dialtone
dialtone

jz11 wrote:
bluechris wrote:
Why Hamilton was pushing so bad Russell? I don't see anyone here discussing this. To me the mistake of Russell is for a big percent because Hamilton wasn't giving to the guy that air to breath to attack on Norris. They run on different teams? For me it was huge mistake from the team and especially from Toto.
Russel didn't know what to think most likely, expecting Lewis to pounce on both him and Lando, which was probably why he looked so unsteady behind Lando, half-defending, half-attacking, and Lewis constantly looking for openings instead of allowing Russel to set up the overtake, doesn't excuse him for making the mistake however
That’s way off... Russell has to be able to deal with that, he did the whole race. What about the stress that Norris and Sainz were under and didn't bin it?

grubschumi13
grubschumi13

bluechris wrote:
Well binning is was all on Russell. He needed a cooler head. He has made many mistakes this season Canada, Monaco to mention a few.

Spacepace

Russell needs to be told men don't cry

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

George looks amd sounds broken. He looks like he's holding back tears.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Spacepace wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 16:36
Russell needs to be told men don't cry
Rubbish. Nothing wrong with crying.

napoleon1981
napoleon1981

Just_a_fan wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 16:31
napoleon1981 wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 16:25

Lewis closed down a 5s gap from George after the double-stack stop. Both in free air.

George binned it. Exactly.
George had a shot and binned it. No one wins from the barriers. Meanwhile, Lewis goes on picking up yet more points.

George has had some great Saturdays this season but very few good Sundays. And it's Sunday that matters.
If the goal was for Hamilton to pick up the pieces with a 3rd place, while George crashed fighting for the win, i can understand why you think my comment aged like milk :). How have the goal posts moved, celebrating a 3rd place.

PlatinumZealot

jz11 wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 16:32
bluechris wrote:
Think of the big picture here. Rebull has the WCC in hand, Merc is miles ahead of a one-armed Aston Martin, Ferrari realistically wont catch them, and what is the purpose of issuing team orders in this race when the race win was merely an opportunistic gamble? A gamble that George blew hiimself quite dramatically? I don't get it? Hamilton has every right to fight to beat George.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

bluechris

Ok guys, if you feel that Russell was driving happy to have his teammate trying to pass him from behind with no reason at that moment when he is all in to pass, i say that i was wrong. To me this moves from Hamilton shows disrespect to his teammate who had done a better job this weekend something that isn't accepted it seems.
Don't misunderstand me, of course it was Russell mistake what happened but i strongly believe Hamilton pushing wasn't necessary.
In the end there is a team manager that see if a driver is faster and can ask for a swap. That's why i said what i said about Toto.
Total brainfart from MB side and ofcourse this costs alot in championship points where Ferrari benefited closing to MB.

Puffpirat
Puffpirat

napoleon1981 wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 16:21
djones wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 16:06
napoleon1981 wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 16:02

Still dont see how that aged badly?
I agree it aged badly.

George setting things up and concentrating on a Saturday as always. But 9/10 has an average race at best.

Hamilton gained 5 seconds on him and would have won that race.
George binned it trying to pass Norris desperately. Hamilton wasnt even on his mind. The fact that Hamilton would have won it IF George wasnt there shows that it did the opposite of aging badly imo. George was there for the win and threw it, Hamilton never was.
That must be the worst take of this whole thread.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

napoleon1981 wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 16:38
Just_a_fan wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 16:31
napoleon1981 wrote:

If the goal was for Hamilton to pick up the pieces with a 3rd place, while George crashed fighting for the win, i can understand why you think my comment aged like milk :). How have the goal posts moved, celebrating a 3rd place.
Start in 5th after messing up qualifying, end the race on the podium in P3? That's what they are supposed to do - improve on a starting position (Other than P1, obviously).

Start in 2nd, mess up the start, and then bin it on the last lap? That's what they're not supposed to do.

A "spank" on Saturday is way better than a self-inflicted DNF on Sunday.