2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

WHAT A RACE!! Almost feels like a win in the end with how nerve-wracking it was. Probably up there with Lando's best races of his career, sensational drive to keep the Mercs behind.

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 16:04
If this race was our "Austria", it was a good one. Hopefully the team unlocks more potential in Japan and Qatar.

Piastri shows that the car had plenty of pace. To P7 from P17.
Sky suggesting the upgrade was 3-4 tenths, which again highlights Oscar's decent performance this weekend. Up until his second lap was ruined in Q1 he was about that gap from Lando in Q and P.

I'm looking forward to seeing the end of the season.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

Ben1980 wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 16:13
Sainz always shows his knowledge, he tells his team what to do, Leclerc just goes along.
Some drivers stop improving but Sainz gets better and better, and such a nice guy.

I didn't catch him.instructing the team but he bossed the end of that race like a champion.
Last edited by mwillems on 17 Sep 2023, 16:44, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

BMMR61

The tyre saving strategy by Ferrari probably protected McLaren as well. Lando didn’t seem to have much left of the hards at the end and Carlos was complaining his fronts were dead.
dBig gain on Aston Martin today, now -78 points, game on!

bluechris

Great result and I'm pretty happy for Norris. He shown great mindset and respect to what was Sainz doing so got it and kept on it. Well deserved 2nd place and i hope MCL will keep up the good work.

BMMR61

mwillems wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 16:42
Ben1980 wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 16:13
Sainz always shows his knowledge, he tells his team what to do, Leclerc just goes along.
Some drivers stop improving but Sainz gets better and better, and such a nice guy.
Yeah, pure class and still underrated. I was very disappointed for McLaren to see him go to Ferrari but pleased for him. One of the smartest and most hardworking F1 drivers.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 16:39
FittingMechanics wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 16:04
If this race was our "Austria", it was a good one. Hopefully the team unlocks more potential in Japan and Qatar.

Piastri shows that the car had plenty of pace. To P7 from P17.
Sky suggesting the upgrade was 3-4 tenths, which again highlights Oscar's decent performance this weekend. Up until his second lap was ruined in Q1 he was about that gap from Lando in Q and P.

I'm looking forward to seeing the end of the season.
Great update. About what we expected.

willmesquita

It's so good to be McLaren 🧡
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br

Ben1980
Ben1980

Think the team again showed the armchair experts they know what they are doing, the call was to pit Lando. Similar to Silverstone when people couldn't believe the choice of Hard tyres!

Seerix
Seerix

Ben1980 wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 17:27
Think the team again showed the armchair experts they know what they are doing, the call was to pit Lando. Similar to Silverstone when people couldn't believe the choice of Hard tyres!
I don't undestand what you get from "I told you so" posts at all. They did not show armchair experts in Zandvoort. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. Nothing wrong in discussing options. Result based replies are useless.

The actual strategy on Lando's radio was - stay out if VSC, box if full SC. They were considering boxing after seeing both Mercs went it, but VCS ended meanwhile.

Peter Piper

I was shouting at the tv for them to pit, but it turns out they made the right call. Kudos to the team.

Fantastic result, and like others have said both drivers drove great races. Roll on Japan!

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Seerix wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 17:41
Ben1980 wrote:
I don't undestand what you get from "I told you so" posts at all. They did not show armchair experts in Zandvoort. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. Nothing wrong in discussing options. Result based replies are useless.

The actual strategy on Lando's radio was - stay out if VSC, box if full SC. They were considering boxing after seeing both Mercs went it, but VCS ended meanwhile.
The strategy calls as you well say, sometimes work, sometimes they don’t… But the reactions here and comments when they make the calls are definitely “Armchair Experts”… If people don’t realize that:

A) They have more data than anyone here would dream of having
B) They have tools that allow them to simulate permutations of outcome depending on the decision
C) There is not one person looking at the strategy, there is an “strategy team”, who uses A) and B) to make this decisions.

But around here, people watching a race on TV think they can make a better decision than the team :)

Will they get it wrong some times? Absolutely… Zandvoort was a matter of amount of rain, the amount of rain and duration was expected to be lower than it was, if their expectations (based on the information they had) would have been accurate, they would have been called geniuses… It didn’t pan out, it happens.

Funny thing is, if they take a risky gamble and it doesn’t work, they get blasted… If they take the more cautious approach, they get blasted for never taking risks… People will never be pleased I guess.

mwillems

Ben1980 wrote:
No this was different, Sainz saved the situation but the team didn't really have options.

Nobody foresaw Carlos brilliance and we have a lot to thank him for. I was ready to call them out for disappointments at the previous two races, but their hands were tied here.

-Bandit

Sofa King
Sofa King

McLaren may be the favorite to win next week after the upgrade. What a turnaround for you guys

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

SmallSoldier wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 18:10
Seerix wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 17:41
Ben1980 wrote:

The strategy calls as you well say, sometimes work, sometimes they don’t… But the reactions here and comments when they make the calls are definitely “Armchair Experts”… If people don’t realize that:

A) They have more data than anyone here would dream of having
B) They have tools that allow them to simulate permutations of outcome depending on the decision
C) There is not one person looking at the strategy, there is an “strategy team”, who uses A) and B) to make this decisions.

But around here, people watching a race on TV think they can make a better decision than the team :)

Will they get it wrong some times? Absolutely… Zandvoort was a matter of amount of rain, the amount of rain and duration was expected to be lower than it was, if their expectations (based on the information they had) would have been accurate, they would have been called geniuses… It didn’t pan out, it happens.

Funny thing is, if they take a risky gamble and it doesn’t work, they get blasted… If they take the more cautious approach, they get blasted for never taking risks… People will never be pleased I guess.
true, it is a fine line, I was quite harsh on their Zandvoort one tho. I think there are still teething problems operationally that come with being at the front like we saw in Zandvoort but the team are improving, and like everything else about McLaren right now, looks on the up! Enjoy this one guys, Suzuka should be fun too.