2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
dans79

Re: 2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Tvetovnato wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 18:10
dans79 wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 18:00
Tvetovnato wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 17:53
I think the qualy setup is a non-thing really. Makes no sense to do that.
It does on a track where you need a huge delta to pass...............
Yes, but I’m thinking between the Merc drivers, that there should not be much difference in that sense. Nothing that has been mentioned anyway.
Look at 2014, Nico was better at qualifying, but Lewis would run him down in the race! I think he prefers better race pace than qualifying.
201 105 104 9 9 7

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

Lewis was consistently 0.5 quicker than George out of the pits on mediums in the last stint, and still had better tyres than him when they were bunched together

rifrafs2kees
rifrafs2kees

Regarding setup, the team would first get a baseline for long run pace.

They then optimize for qualifying using non parc fame options, i.e. pressures etc.

I believe hamilton isn't maximizing the optimization phase for qualifying, plus he's older and is losing some of that 1 lap speed.

These the only way I can discrepancy between his qualifying and great race pace, particularly at the low fuel race finishing phase.
I'm also not sure how much Bono adds these days. He and Ham seem too passive to critique each other to the extent that might be necessary for grinding development.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

rifrafs2kees wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 19:25

They then optimize for qualifying using non parc fame options, i.e. pressures etc.

I believe hamilton isn't maximizing the optimization phase for qualifying, plus he's older and is losing some of that 1 lap speed.

These the only way I can discrepancy between his qualifying and great race pace, particularly at the low fuel race finishing phase.
I'm also not sure how much Bono adds these days. He and Ham seem too passive to critique each other to the extent that might be necessary for grinding development.
Ya do realize lewis out qualified George like 9(?) races on the bounce during this season

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

ringo

They shouldnt be kicking the guy when he's doen. But he's such a loud mouth that he puts himself in the spotlight. It's good for the sport.
He adds a bit of drama and character to the grid.
The other drivers are more anonymous.
George is very eloquent and I quite like reading his ansers to the media.
Let's see if he puts his foot in his mouth at suzuka or gets rain in his visor again. Haha.
For Sure!!

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

ringo

He could have passed George easily. No joke.
But was too nice. He let the kiddies get play time. If it were Alonso or Vettel they would be past in a heart beat.
For Sure!!

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Ahah, who knows.
I just find it very interesting the way he changes his lines in order to keep clean air on the FW, like an Indy 500 driver. In Brazil 2021, it was very obvious an beautiful to watch, like a ballet.

It's amazing the way he still performs at 38 yo.

Astro85
Astro85

Spoutnik wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 20:50
Not true, Hamilton never made a move on Russell. He had an amazing stint on the mediums at the end but his blistering pace sort of disappeared after he passed Leclerc and was barely faster than Russell from then on.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Lots of people on the merc official twitter account asking why nobody from merx went to celebrate with Lewis at the podium and the twitter account administrator didn't post anything celebrating Lewis' win because they apparently didn't have any celebrating to show.

Did anyone else notice this on the TV?

If its true then its the second time it's happened this season isn't it?

ringo

I dont know if this is because of the russel crash. Or how the post rate interviews were done with the cars and parc ferme positioned differently
For Sure!!

rifrafs2kees
rifrafs2kees

Mchamilton wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 20:17
rifrafs2kees wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 19:25

Ya do realize lewis out qualified George like 9(?) races on the bounce during this season
Contrary to your accusation, I hold Hamilton in high regard, respect his abilities and he's the reason I follow the sport.

Anyway, what I'm getting at that is that the w13/w14 cars seam to lack a sweet spot for both Saturday and Sunday. They are having to use trick non parc fame tools like wing angles and tire pressures to get one lap pace, this to me is why Hamilton struggles sometimes.
If they can develop a consistent car next year, I suspect Russell will lose some of his one lap advantage over Hamilton

Astro85
Astro85

Hamilton looked very downbeat and depressed after the race, has something gone off between him and the team?