2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Juzh

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

It's almost certain highlighted suspension element broke off on lap 2

Juzh

one more post :D
it is suggested here only housing was broken off, which I agree is a more likely scenario.

Still, this would cause major disturbance in air flow, causing stalls and all sorts of things. We've seen ground effect cars become useless if airflow towards or within floor itself is disturbed just a little bit.

diffuser

Juzh wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 21:55
one more post :D
it is suggested here only housing was broken off, which I agree is a more likely scenario.

Still, this would cause major disturbance in air flow, causing stalls and all sorts of things. We've seen ground effect cars become useless if airflow towards or within floor itself is disturbed just a little bit.
Nice!

issey
issey

This account did some research and said Alonso picked up debris on lap 2 and on the straight afterwards something broke

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

So basically all of their race data is useless. It’s nice to have two cars.

diffuser

AR3-GP wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 00:47
Why is that data that important? They didn't collect enough data in all the other sessions?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

diffuser wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 03:05
AR3-GP wrote:
Why is that data that important? They didn't collect enough data in all the other sessions?
Sure they collected data but none of this was full race stints. Im not saying they have nothing, but what happened today with the debris and only 1 car is not ideal either.

diffuser

AR3-GP wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 03:08
diffuser wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 03:05
AR3-GP wrote:
Sure they collected data but none of this was full race stints. Im not saying they have nothing, but what happened today with the debris and only 1 car is not ideal either.
Understood.

KimiRai
KimiRai

After the journalist told him he hoped the car would be better in Japan, he just said "hopefully hopefully" and left, well done in my opinion and much better than staying there and saying something he'd have regretted. 10 years ago it'd have been the other way around so he definitely improved on that aspect. But just like in most of his career, the car is still not there. Haters have said forever that if he fixed his attitude he'd magically have gotten better cars (somehow), but obviously that's not how it works. The driver part in the equation is massively overstated, neither Max nor Hamilton built their teams, it's just being there in the right moment and time. Some, like Kubica and him, are just unlucky.

A few days ago I read a Hammy fan on another website complaining about how much he suffered with the W13. The third best car that year. And a Max fan replied about how Max had to "suffer" from 2016-2019 too. If only they knew.

jofs89
jofs89

Really strange race, where did the FP2 race pace go? I'm not sure the broken suspension housing is going to make a massive difference, not enough to account for all the defecit anyway. Even without all the calamitous incidents the best they could get was probably p9 or p10 on a track which should really suit the car. I looks like they haven't understood what went wrong with the upgrade direction. Bit deflating really as this was there chance to win a race. If this track was in the opening part of the season I think they win it. Shame.

KimiRai
KimiRai

jofs89 wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 09:29
I looks like they haven't understood what went wrong with the upgrade direction.
We don't really know, at least those like us that don't have first hand accounts inside the team. If you want to see the glass half full it's a good thing that we are not aware of what's going on, to be honest.

Let's see, last year they started hyping up things a bit with some bold statements by the end of the year coming from Dan and Eric. Early days still, so far there's been an article from McCullough where he promises a more efficient car for next year.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/aston ... /10519242/

diffuser

jofs89 wrote:
Really strange race, where did the FP2 race pace go? I'm not sure the broken suspension housing is going to make a massive difference, not enough to account for all the defecit anyway. Even without all the calamitous incidents the best they could get was probably p9 or p10 on a track which should really suit the car. I looks like they haven't understood what went wrong with the upgrade direction. Bit deflating really as this was there chance to win a race. If this track was in the opening part of the season I think they win it. Shame.
Look at the posts of issey and juhz just up above.

basti313
basti313

KimiRai wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 11:00
jofs89 wrote:
I looks like they haven't understood what went wrong with the upgrade direction.
We don't really know, at least those like us that don't have first hand accounts inside the team. If you want to see the glass half full it's a good thing that we are not aware of what's going on, to be honest.

Let's see, last year they started hyping up things a bit with some bold statements by the end of the year coming from Dan and Eric. Early days still, so far there's been an article from McCullough where he promises a more efficient car for next year.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/aston ... /10519242/
Well...I guess it is the same old game. They are quite good on developing a new car now. But in-season development is much more difficult and simply not on par with the top teams. I guess it will go backwards...further.
Don`t russel the hamster!

issey
issey

jofs89
jofs89

diffuser wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 11:43
jofs89 wrote:
Look at the posts of issey and juhz just up above.
Yes, I read them and reference the issue re: damaged suspension housing. As I said I think that's a bit of red herring. Obviously that is pure conjecture on my part.

I understand people saying in-season development is harder but they were one of the best teams at improving their car last year. Obviously that's easier given the lower starting point but I didn't see them getting completely annihilated in the development race by McLaren. Hopefully they can have a couple more decent races before the season is over.