2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Re: 2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Astro85 wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 23:09
Hamilton looked very downbeat and depressed after the race, has something gone off between him and the team?
Lots of people having a go at Mercedes on their official twitter posts asking why nobody from Merc celebrated with Lewis and why the official merc photographer/twitter account admin has no footage of the team celebrating with Lewis.

Astro85
Astro85

GrizzleBoy wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 23:11
Astro85 wrote:
Hamilton looked very downbeat and depressed after the race, has something gone off between him and the team?
Lots of people having a go at Mercedes on their official twitter posts asking why nobody from Merc celebrated with Lewis and why the official merc photographer/twitter account admin has no footage of the team celebrating with Lewis.
He looked very depressed, very unlike him when he beats Russell. I have the feeling he is starting to feel left out, a second thought, maybe the team were more concerned about Russell's DNF than praising Hamilton, something is off.

rifrafs2kees
rifrafs2kees

Astro85 wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 23:25
GrizzleBoy wrote:
Astro85 wrote:
He looked very depressed, very unlike him when he beats Russell. I have the feeling he is starting to feel left out, a second thought, maybe the team were more concerned about Russell's DNF than praising Hamilton, something is off.
Nothing more to it but introspection. He expects a lot out of himself than he delivered. He wants to get the max out of the car whether in quali or race. He's not happy to count on mistakes from the leading pack when he believes he could've qualified ahead. I like his push for perfection.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Singapore is basically the most exhausting race on the calendar. Hamilton was probably just tired. He’s 38 and all.

j_ste
j_ste

Astro85 wrote:
GrizzleBoy wrote:
Astro85 wrote:

They had a race winning package...he knows that. Wins are hard to come by right now...need to grab them when they are available

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Astro85 wrote:
No. He looked at the result and realised that had he sorted out qualifying, he could have competed for a win. That's called introspection. Something that the younger drivers rarely do.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Astro85 wrote:
GrizzleBoy wrote:
Astro85 wrote:
Yeah, right. He cares because the team are annoyed about the other driver --- up and dropping a P3/P4 to only a P3.

It's ok to hate the bloke but please do at least give him credit for not being an arsehole when things go wrong for the team.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

AR3-GP wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 00:52
Singapore is basically the most exhausting race on the calendar. Hamilton was probably just tired. He’s 38 and all.
And yet he came third. Having not binned it like the young bloke in the other side of the garage.

If you're going to be a hater, at least be honest why.

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

Just_a_fan wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 01:47
AR3-GP wrote:
And yet he came third. Having not binned it like the young bloke in the other side of the garage.

Jaf, I fail to see where AR3-GP was being a hater or am I missing something here?
It did look like Lewis was exhausted but so were others, those final laps needed maximum concentration.
Lando and Carlos had reasons to celebrate so maybe they didn't look that exhausted but to Lewis 3rd place is nothing when a win was on the cards.
The cheapest sort of pride is national pride, every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud adopts, as a last resource, pride in the nation to which he belongs; thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.

ringo

Astro85 wrote:
GrizzleBoy wrote:
Astro85 wrote:
More like Sainz won the race that Hamilton felt he needed to win to break his win drought. He knew if he qualified better he could have won.
But I think if he did not give Norris back the place, he would have won also.
For Sure!!

ValeVida46

Silent Storm wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 02:25
Just_a_fan wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 01:47
AR3-GP wrote:

Jaf, I fail to see where AR3-GP was being a hater or am I missing something here?
It did look like Lewis was exhausted but so were others, those final laps needed maximum concentration.
Lando and Carlos had reasons to celebrate so maybe they didn't look that exhausted but to Lewis 3rd place is nothing when a win was on the cards.
You didn't find the singling out of Hamilton in a field of exhausted drivers to be oddly specific?

ValeVida46

Astro85 wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 08:55
Preparation is part of the the game, Lewis has underperformed
Astro85 wrote:
Hamilton looked very downbeat and depressed after the race,
Astro85 wrote:
He looked very depressed,
Astro85 wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 21:11
Quite a meh race for Mercedes, I have noticed with Hamilton he now seems to have poor pace on the hards
Astro85 wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 13:36
Hamilton was probably just his usual self
Astro85 wrote:
02 Sep 2023, 19:30
A very disappointing qualifying from Hamilton today.
Astro85 wrote:
something is off
Something is most certainly off with the pattern of your posting.

Astro85
Astro85

Hamilton had a very poor qualifying, when you're over 4 tenths off your teammate that is an undeniable fact.

He also looked very downbeat after the race for whatever reason, his fans were very unhappy with the team as on Twitter it was all about Russell, maybe there's something in it, just a suggestion?

So, to come to the conclusion, if you had the car to win and you finish third mainly due to a poor qualifying then the weekend on the whole was not good enough, the same for Russell, I hope this helps?
Last edited by Stu on 24 Sep 2023, 08:56, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Lots of quoted posts removed & “come on, have a go…” removed.

CHT
CHT

ringo wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 05:46
Astro85 wrote:
GrizzleBoy wrote:

More like Sainz won the race that Hamilton felt he needed to win to break his win drought. He knew if he qualified better he could have won.
But I think if he did not give Norris back the place, he would have won also.
Both Merc had the benefit of clean air after they pitted for medium. running around 2 to 3 sec a lap quicker before catching Lando. But was unable to pass Lando on hard tires

basti313
basti313

GrizzleBoy wrote:
Astro85 wrote:
Was there anything to celebrate?
We had a very bad showing:
- Fastest car in the race
- Probably a close call to even be on pole
- Lost at the start
- One driver (as usual since 10 years) bottling Q.

And still they won 15 points by throwing away 12 points in the last lap. #-o

I think they had many chances to win this race:
- I do not know what causes regularly this 0.4sec deficit of one driver in Q3. Actually this is unacceptable for top drivers and others like Perez get a lot of criticism for it. For Merc this is just normal since years...did not play a role for long, but and now it hurts them badly. With being in front of Norris they would have had much better chances on strategy.
- Again a much too conservative strategy. They planned for a 2 stop...so why start on Mediums? They basically lost at the start by not starting Russel on Softs.
- Ferrari made all the errors they could by not having a 3sec gap between the cars for the SC and first row of stops.
- They did not even try to put pressure on Ferrari. Waiting till lap 20 with the first stop was the 1 stop Medium to Hard by Pirelli. It was even a farce that the commentators just asked which Ferrari will stop first...is this a running joke now with Merc bottling the undercut at Singapore???
Don`t russel the hamster!