2023 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, Sep 15 -17

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Macklaren wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 23:20
mwillems wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 22:33
Szabi1112 wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 22:16

I agree with Norris saying that Hamilton count on that he wasn't able to pass the turn 1 and in this case he could use the bypass like Raikkonen did in Spa in 2009. What if there was a wall? He would have braken heavily making it impossible to pass Norris.
He was past Norris, he only straightened out because Russell pushed him off track. Hamilton was a bit hard done to on that one.
No, it only looks that way because he clearly outbraked himself knowing that he could straightline there corner. He deserved to give the place back
I agree with mwillems - if Russel was not there it is a clean overtake by Hamilton.

Szabi1112
Szabi1112

FittingMechanics wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 23:30
Macklaren wrote:
mwillems wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 22:33

He was past Norris, he only straightened out because Russell pushed him off track. Hamilton was a bit hard done to on that one.
No, it only looks that way because he clearly outbraked himself knowing that he could straightline there corner. He deserved to give the place back
I agree with mwillems - if Russel was not there it is a clean overtake by Hamilton.
Ok. But this is a race with 20 cars.

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

Re: 2023 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, Sep 15 -17

AR3-GP wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 22:38
Was any explanation given for the first safety car?
I would respect race control more if they came out and admitted what is obvious these days - that it’s for the show.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Juzh wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 22:03
Just_a_fan wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 19:56
chrisc90 wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 18:42

Unsure what you (and others) are getting at on this one. The stewards decisions have been consistent with rewarding the 5 second penalty to those drivers who cause a collision.

Apart from making it 10seconds (which would need drivers/teams agreement mid-season) then the only realistic time you can implement it is at the start of the new season.
It's pointless after the race because other drivers can't react to it.
So you agree then that hamilton's 5s in monza was also useless :D It was, but perez' is also useless. That's why I suggested 15s instead of 5s in the other thread. Both times I'd make a significant enough difference. F1 seriously needs to reconsider these 5s joke penalties.
One applied during the race. One applied after the race. Other than that, entirely comparable. :wink:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

JPower
JPower

I see a lot of people criticizing Russell for the last stint, which has some merit given he crashed. However, there's no way I'm giving up my position for my teammate to battle up front if we're not in contention for a championship. And even then it would be difficult unless given direction by the pit wall.

If Hamilton wanted to be in contention, he needed to qualify better. I'm sure he knows this, but it seems that some others don't.

Sainz proving everything I've said about him since he joined McLaren correct. Never going to regularly be outright fastest, but he's an extremely well rounded driver. More so than some of those quicker than him, which is a short list on this grid. Hopefully next year's Ferrari is palatable for both drivers because I think Sainz gaining experience being on pole/winning, will only help Ferrari if the car is a contender even if Leclerc ends up being #1.

My donkey of the day goes to Checo. Incredibly bad driving against Tsunoda and Albon. Mentally, he's not in the game right now. Horner will need to help get him back to normal, although they might just be looking for excuses to make room for Ricciardo at this point...

AnthonyG

It’s easy to crap on Russel, but I appreciate he tried. He deserves credit for that.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

denyall

So is Danny Ric out of a job now? Lawson making a case to stay in the car and I'm sure he's less expensive a contract for RB family.

TFSA

AR3-GP wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 22:38
Was any explanation given for the first safety car?
Marshalls on track - and by "on track", i mean on the actual pavement, and not just to the sides at the barriers - usually means they have to.

In this case, some of the debris they needed to remove wasn't just off to the sides, but actually towards the centerline. You don't just VSC when Marshalls have to approach the center of the track.

Personally, i was more surprised they only VSC'ed Ocons breakdown. That looked like it should have been a full SC to me, given that he didn't manage to stop at a gap, so they had to actually push him a short distance. But i guess the new rules for double-yellows means they think it's safe enough.

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

TFSA wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 06:08
Personally, i was more surprised they only VSC'ed Ocons breakdown. That looked like it should have been a full SC to me, given that he didn't manage to stop at a gap, so they had to actually push him a short distance. But i guess the new rules for double-yellows means they think it's safe enough.
I wondered about that myself. There was a gap pretty close from memory, so the marshals must've been able to get the car cleared really quickly. Maybe the SG marshals have been hitting the gym? :)

mwillems

Szabi1112 wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 23:31
FittingMechanics wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 23:30
Macklaren wrote:

Ok. But this is a race with 20 cars.
Point is the overtake on Lando was complete he was in control. If Russell didn't force him off track he would have been fine.

Russell took him off track not speed and he made the turn in for the corner fine. He turned away from the track due to Russell. He then accelerated off track having carried the right speed in the corner. He was going no faster next to zEussel than anyone else and had zero issues making the corner except Russel took advantage of lap 1 leniency and forced him off track.

This instant acceleration is what made it look as if he outbrakrd himself. He did not. Russell should leave a cars width but did not, knowing there is more leeway at turn 1 on Lap 1.

The overtake on Lando was clean and complete with the right corner speed for sure. Russell running him off track doesn't change that.

But people will see what they want to see as usual.
Last edited by mwillems on 18 Sep 2023, 07:53, edited 3 times in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Bill
Bill

If alonso did a good strategy in monaco and changed to the right tire he would have won.redbull took long to change tires in that race so they were lucky to dodge the bullet.redbull doesn't have the best car on slow speed tracks so they dont deserve to win all races but it would have been cool to achieve the impossible

mwillems

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... -to-second

It's clear that he was forced off track and had completed the move on Lando.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Ben1980
Ben1980

That move was never on for Hamilton without bombing off the track. The ferraris, Russell and Lando on similar lines. If Hamilton had tried to stay on track, he doesnt stay ahead of Lando. He was not forced off by anyobe but himself.

F1NAC

denyall wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 04:43
So is Danny Ric out of a job now? Lawson making a case to stay in the car and I'm sure he's less expensive a contract for RB family.
More like Tsunoda's seat is in danger. Ric was already as fast if not faster than him in his first race with the team

DDopey
DDopey

I see a crazy Marko action coming up and swap Perez and Lawson asap.