2023 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, Sep 15 -17

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
djones
djones

Re: 2023 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, Sep 15 -17

basti313 wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 12:17
djones wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 12:02
Hamilton pulled back I think it was 6 seconds from the peak after the pit stop.
No, it was 4.3sec in racing speed, which grew to 5sec after the first lap. The 6sec was still under VSC.
djones wrote:
That means he was circa 0.3 per lap faster than George. It may have been less, it may have been more. The point is there was a marked difference in pace at that stage.
No. George was much faster the first lap after the VSC. They just stopped him from ruining his tires.
Laptimes suggest they tried to go a 36.5 laptime delta with both cars. Looks like on lap 50 George had some error, but the rest is just not possible to discuss in terms of laptime difference.
Just took the time to go look at the video.

When the VSC stopped Hamilton was 4.9 behind Geroge and there were 13 laps to go.

With 8 laps to go Hamilton was 1.2 behind George.

Hamilton was much faster in the last stint. I'm unsure when it even needs debating. We all watched the race and saw how fast he caught George. We also saw how his tyres were better at the end and we all saw George made a mistake due to pushing too hard.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

djones wrote:
The data was there. We all saw it in real time.

I don't have the exact numbers. But what was the last stint? 20 laps maybe?

Hamilton pulled back I think it was 6 seconds from the peak after the pit stop. That means he was circa 0.3 per lap faster than George. It may have been less, it may have been more. The point is there was a marked difference in pace at that stage.

If driver B is faster than driver A then you switch them. I know some people have never done competitive sports and are not competitive people; so like the world to be fair. But it's not fair and the aim of the game is to win. To maximise your chances of a win you take the facts at the time and act on them straight away.

Indecision in the name of fairness very likely cost Mercedes a win, or at least second place yesterday.
See

basti313
basti313

djones wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 12:35
basti313 wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 12:17
djones wrote:
Hamilton pulled back I think it was 6 seconds from the peak after the pit stop.
No, it was 4.3sec in racing speed, which grew to 5sec after the first lap. The 6sec was still under VSC.
djones wrote:
That means he was circa 0.3 per lap faster than George. It may have been less, it may have been more. The point is there was a marked difference in pace at that stage.
No. George was much faster the first lap after the VSC. They just stopped him from ruining his tires.
Laptimes suggest they tried to go a 36.5 laptime delta with both cars. Looks like on lap 50 George had some error, but the rest is just not possible to discuss in terms of laptime difference.
Just took the time to go look at the video.

When the VSC stopped Hamilton was 4.9 behind Geroge and there were 13 laps to go.

With 8 laps to go Hamilton was 1.2 behind George.

Hamilton was much faster in the last stint. I'm unsure when it even needs debating. We all watched the race and saw how fast he caught George. We also saw how his tyres were better at the end and we all saw George made a mistake due to pushing too hard.
You must be joking? He crashed by driving against the corner of a wall on a straight.

And you somehow missed Leclerc in your assumptions, that was when it dropped even to 1sec...and by the way, with 6 laps to go the gap was 1.9sec...so towards the end Rus was suddenly nearly half a second faster by your assumptions :shock:
Don`t russel the hamster!

chrstphrln

What a strange discussion.
By the way, I would have liked the Mercerdes to swap places.
Would have preferred to see Hamilton in the wall...

Seriously. In all likelihood, swapping places would not have changed the outcome of the race at all.
Mercedes tried everything, it wasn't enough, done.

mkay
mkay

Astro85 wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 11:22
chrisc90 wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 11:17
Astro85 wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 11:10

Double standards isn't it? I respect Mercedes approach, they did the right thing.
Yup. Especially when people call out other teams for their team standards.
Now when one driver is behind, and both are racing for position they just want the team mate to move over out the way.

Merc had the right call - let them race - if your that much quicker you will overtake. Other, slower cars on the grid managed to crawl up through the field perfectly fine.

At 2s seconds a lap pace difference - it should have been easy overtakes

Same with Ferrari in monza - both fighting and the team let them race - another correct call.

Amazes me now it’s completely different
Emotions often get in the way of common sense. The truth is, Hamilton had blistering pace for a number of laps but by the time he had passed Leclerc that blistering pace relative to Russell had all but disappeared. The gap stayed consistent for a few laps and then he was slightly faster until they both came up to Norris.
That is inaccurate. Gap increased to 2s after HAM passed LEC and HAM was 1.3s faster over the next 3 laps after which they remained in the DRS train until the end.

It was also quite visible to see on track. Russell had traction issues with the rears likely overheating while Hamilton was able to take tighter lines into corners.

Astro85
Astro85

mkay wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 13:20
Astro85 wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 11:17

Yup. Especially when people call out other teams for their team standards.
Now when one driver is behind, and both are racing for position they just want the team mate to move over out the way.

Merc had the right call - let them race - if your that much quicker you will overtake. Other, slower cars on the grid managed to crawl up through the field perfectly fine.

At 2s seconds a lap pace difference - it should have been easy overtakes

Same with Ferrari in monza - both fighting and the team let them race - another correct call.

Amazes me now it’s completely different
Emotions often get in the way of common sense. The truth is, Hamilton had blistering pace for a number of laps but by the time he had passed Leclerc that blistering pace relative to Russell had all but disappeared. The gap stayed consistent for a few laps and then he was slightly faster until they both came up to Norris.
That is inaccurate. Gap increased to 2s after HAM passed LEC and HAM was 1.3s faster over the next 3 laps after which they remained in the DRS train until the end.

It was also quite visible to see on track. Russell had traction issues with the rears likely overheating while Hamilton was able to take tighter lines into corners.
I have just watched those moments now, after Hamilton passed Leclerc he was around 1.3 secs behind Russell, it then went up to around 1.8 secs and stabilized, Hamilton then started reeling him in and was around 1.1-1.3 secs behind by the time Russell had caught up to Norris. As I said, his blistering pace relative to Russell had disappeared by the time he passed Leclerc.

dans79

Astro85 wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 13:34
As I said, his blistering pace relative to Russell had disappeared by the time he passed Leclerc.
If you're tire limited, it pays big divideds to look after them. Imo what Lewis did after passing Charles, was let the tires stabilize, as he for sure spiked the temps during the overtake.
201 105 104 9 9 7

Astro85
Astro85

dans79 wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 13:56
Astro85 wrote:
As I said, his blistering pace relative to Russell had disappeared by the time he passed Leclerc.
If you're tire limited, it pays big divideds to look after them. Imo what Lewis did after passing Charles, was let the tires stabilize, as he for sure spiked the temps during the overtake.
He lost over 7 tenths in the space of 2 laps, that could mean the difference between 3rd and a 1st, if not, if he would have got DRS on Russell before Russell caught up to Norris.

basti313
basti313

dans79 wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 13:56
Astro85 wrote:
You are right, but where is the discussion in this case then?
Hamilton DRSed past Leclerc into turn 7. That was a simple DRS fly-by after Leclerc was shot wound at the end of the lap before by Russel...which tires should Hamilton have to fight at the front? With Lando in DRS range it is just a nonsense discussion, no one would have stood a chance, no one would have overtaken anyone.

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

Astro85 wrote:
mkay wrote:
Astro85 wrote:

I have just watched those moments now, after Hamilton passed Leclerc he was around 1.3 secs behind Russell, it then went up to around 1.8 secs and stabilized, Hamilton then started reeling him in and was around 1.1-1.3 secs behind by the time Russell had caught up to Norris. As I said, his blistering pace relative to Russell had disappeared by the time he passed Leclerc.
Not true. Hamilton was around 1.9 behind Russell on lap 55, and on lap 57 it was down to 1.1-2, despite Russell being over 2 seconds back on Norris by that time. So Hamilton approached the DRS range of Russell quicker than Russell did on Norris.

Astro85
Astro85

Tvetovnato wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 15:07
Astro85 wrote:
mkay wrote:

Not true. Hamilton was around 1.9 behind Russell on lap 55, and on lap 57 it was down to 1.1-2, despite Russell being over 2 seconds back on Norris by that time. So Hamilton approached the DRS range of Russell quicker than Russell did on Norris.
True, I just watched those laps again, unless you're saying the gap info was wrong on the main feed?

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

Astro85 wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 15:09
Tvetovnato wrote:
Astro85 wrote:

True, I just watched those laps again, unless you're saying the gap info was wrong on the main feed?
Then I advise you to watch again. Hamilton cut 0.7 seconds in two laps from 55 to 57, when Russell had not even caught up to Norris.

Astro85
Astro85

Tvetovnato wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 15:15
Astro85 wrote:
Tvetovnato wrote:

Then I advise you to watch again. Hamilton cut 0.7 seconds in two laps from 55 to 57, when Russell had not even caught up to Norris.
Yeah, and he'd lost over 7 tenths on the lap he passed Leclerc and the lap after.

basti313
basti313

Astro85 wrote:
I do not know what people are discussing here...some arbitrary gaps at some arbitrary points? At some lap +-1?
Do people understand that the distance between cars goes up and down depending on the speed they are doing? So even sector gaps are difficult to read...

There is one major point....the start finish. And there the gap was 1.9s after both have done 55 laps. This is when the feed starts to show 56...as they start at 1, there is no lap 0.

Tvetovnato wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 15:15
Not sure what you want to say here. Russel has caught up to Norris at the beginning of lap 57 and had a good pull on the straight to T7 already in lap 57. He had only free air till ~ the end of 56.
Which now comes to discussing single sector times, Russel had a much better last sector in lap 54 when both were in free air and a better lap 55...then an error in one sector in lap 56, it does not make sense to calculate the 0.7sec on a pace advantage. They were very similar on pace.
But what are we discussing here...you can not even look at the timing data, but try to conclude from the video...

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!