2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
wickedz50
wickedz50

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

BMMR61 wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 02:11
The slooow pace that Carlos employed was, I think, to look after medium tyres Ferrari were not at all confident of AND to provide a bunching which would discourage any undercut attempts. The Sargeant safety car prevented us from seeing what the tyre life and planned tactic would have been around laps 25-30. Carlos was also protecting Charles’ soft tyres - so he had plenty in hand. This whole phase was frustrating for everyone and the euphoria about Singapore being a great race was based on the last 10 laps. Carlos played one of the best gambits I’ve seen for a while. So good I don’t believe Ferrari had much of a hand in it, the wily Sainz has shown great tactical nous especially since being at Ferrari - out of necessity.

Let’s be thankful that he used Lando as a shield against the Mercs. Next time at Suzuka, McLaren may have the upper hand but RedBull will be back for sure.
Race craft or situation awareness whatever you call it was just amazing from Carlos. Kudos to the strategy employed by Ferrari to bunch up the pack at start so as to negate any undercut from opponents and also played perfectly to RBR strategy of starting on Hard tyre and potential of going super long. Driving 1st 20 laps at 2/3 secs a lap slower by all the top 5 preserving the tyre life of Medium was going to hurt RBR strategy. Without the first safety car all of them would extend their 1st run by 10-15 laps easily or more. It was a super strategy by Ferrari and all the teams except RBR looked to be comfortable supporting it. The goal for all of them was same "Stop Max from winning 11 in a row".
The second VSC was of immense help to all the front runner as well and it hurt RBR again. If this was a full SC then I am sure the pace of RBR in Max's hand would have been a threat to all the top 5. There would have been no more tyre preservation and everyone would then drive crazy to protect themselves.

mwillems

I do think a big part of the Ferrari strategy was targeted at RB to prevent them coming into contention.

They were going so slow they could have completed half the race on meds. RB were desperately destroying their tyres.

The timing of the safety car was perfect for a very exciting end to the race, as was the VSC.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

PikeStance

I thought the strategy was to prevent a Mercedes undercut.
<-Pike----
Expat American in Guangzhou
Native New Orleans

mwillems

They went so slow as to bunch the entire pack, not just keeping the Mercs behind. The tyres could have gone for much longer, so it wasn't just for tyres or to back up Merc. But for sure they wanted Merc to lose out too.

-Bandit

mclaren111

mwillems wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 20:53
dans79 wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 18:03
Also Merc should have told the FIA to pound sand about giving the place back to Norris!
https://i.ibb.co/r7B5XtR/Lewis-past-Norris.gif
Feels like Lando did get lucky with Ham giving the place back, he was in control and past Lando.

Russell ran him off the road so he accelerated away and round the bollard, but was not carrying too much speed in the corner for the Norris overtake.

LH never planned to make the corner... Once a cheat always a cheat... :mrgreen:
Last edited by mclaren111 on 18 Sep 2023, 13:11, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

mclaren111 wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 12:03
mwillems wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 20:53
dans79 wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 18:03
Also Merc should have told the FIA to pound sand about giving the place back to Norris!
https://i.ibb.co/r7B5XtR/Lewis-past-Norris.gif
Feels like Lando did get lucky with Ham giving the place back, he was in control and past Lando.

Russell ran him off the road so he accelerated away and round the bollard, but was not carrying too much speed in the corner for the Norris overtake.

LH never planned to make corner... Once a cheater always a cheater... :mrgreen:
Well he clearly did make it as demonstrated by the three videos :D But even so, your discussing the Russell pass :lol:

He's under control made the turn, no lockup, pass on Lando was complete. The he is attacking Russell, had no space and he needed to give the place to Russell.

Sometimes we need to put bias aside and admit we got lucky cos we sure as hell bitch when it goes the other way!
Last edited by mwillems on 18 Sep 2023, 13:41, edited 3 times in total.

-Bandit

Macklaren
Macklaren

BTW I think the answer is a special livery for every race? The podium conversion rate for recent McLaren special liveries is extraordinary

mwillems

Macklaren wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 13:28
BTW I think the answer is a special livery for every race? The podium conversion rate for recent McLaren special liveries is extraordinary
Silver and Red? :wink:

-Bandit

bauc

Superb race by both NOR & PIA..... we were competitive all weekend and we were able to exploit the mishap of RBR this weekend.

That P2 is worth a win for us! I hope next time NOR will get his first win...

PIA needs to work on his tire management tho.... too many times this year he kills his tires too quickly, but he is a rooke so its fine (I guess).
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 11:02
They went so slow as to bunch the entire pack, not just keeping the Mercs behind. The tyres could have gone for much longer, so it wasn't just for tyres or to back up Merc. But for sure they wanted Merc to lose out too.
I believe it was just tire management… Which had additional benefits, like keeping the Mercs in a difficult position for an Undercut… The fact that the RB’s were also constrained by it was an added benefit, but not the overall goal of the strategy.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 14:28
mwillems wrote:
I believe it was just tire management… Which had additional benefits, like keeping the Mercs in a difficult position for an Undercut… The fact that the RB’s were also constrained by it was an added benefit, but not the overall goal of the strategy.
Red Bull went long on Hards. Ferrari timed the first stint so that they could try and catch any safety car that might benefit the hard runners, RB, as by going long they had the better opportunity to steal a march from a SC after everyone else had pitted. They also posed a threat with straight line speed and following in corners, which one Q session wouldn't erode. The tyres were lasting way longer than they needed to for tire management. RB still tried to hope for another SC but (for shame!) the VSC came after they pitted. But it is semantics. They did it to control all the teams and their strategies and to protect the tyres, which we can all agree on :D

-Bandit

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 14:36
SmallSoldier wrote:
mwillems wrote:
Red Bull went long on Hards. Ferrari timed the first stint so that they could try and catch any safety car that might benefit the hard runners, RB, as by going long they had the better opportunity to steal a march from a SC after everyone else had pitted. They also posed a threat with straight line speed and following in corners, which one Q session wouldn't erode. The tyres were lasting way longer than they needed to for tire management. RB still tried to hope for another SC but (for shame!) the VSC came after they pitted. But it is semantics. They did it to control all the teams and their strategies and to protect the tyres, which we can all agree on :D
Absolutely… All I’m saying is that the primary goal was to extend the first stint and protect the tires as much as possible, the fact that doing so also had other benefits was secondary.

The Safety Car screwed Red Bull really… It was in the middle of their hard tire stint, an earlier or later safety car would have favored them.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 15:08
mwillems wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 14:36
SmallSoldier wrote:

Absolutely… All I’m saying is that the primary goal was to extend the first stint and protect the tires as much as possible, the fact that doing so also had other benefits was secondary.

The Safety Car screwed Red Bull really… It was in the middle of their hard tire stint, an earlier or later safety car would have favored them.
Well it's kind of personal opinion after that point I think, extending to cover the Hard stint of the RBs feel like it was the prime reason for me but it's just personal opinion with no right answer unless Carlos ever discusses it so no point in us arguing it I guess, both can be right. The second stint was all about tyres and undercut.

Spot on with Red Bull, a lap or two later and they would have been a big threat with the VSC, but it didn't pan out for them, the tires were destroyed from earlier overtaking, but it could have very nearly worked and we could have had the RBs attacking the Mercs on the last lap, but I won't be crying about that one even if it would had added to the excitement.

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Jarv is back with McLaren and Lando. Didn't see this mentioned before.

MrGapes

Do we reckon they run the same rear wing, with a more offloaded beam wing?

or the British gp spec?

There are way to many beam wing and rear wing variations to consider :lol:

I can't recall there was a article or a passage where Stella mentions the wing will be used in Singapore.... something something