2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Stig14 wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 18:54
In an attempt to move things on: what are peoples expectations for Suzuka? I for one am expecting a strong weekend competing with both cars for the podium given the car's high speed strengths and the fact that the full Singapore update will be available for both cars. Do others share my optimism or am I being a touch misguided?
I share your optimism. It looks like Silverstone but even better.

I want a win before the end of the season, engineering team deserves it for this turnaround. Lando is also overdue (he has 9 podiums).

Stig14
Stig14

Macklaren wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 19:15
It is interesting that the teams' simulations show McLaren in third place behind RBR and Ferrari. I would be surprised if we did not do better than that...
(I mean at Suzuka)
Insider information or second hand from an article somewhere? Either way I agree with RBR being up there but I think where McLaren slot in behind will be determined by how effective their upgrade is at different corner types. Singapore is somewhat of a unique track and won't give a great read (I believe the team stream mentioned they could get a rough idea of the upgrade effectiveness there but more detailed work will come at Suzuka).

Darth-Piekus

Im optimistic that we are gonna find more time to the package and we are gonna do better than Silverstone. Im curious to see if Red Bull has the same problems as Singapore.

mwillems

CMSMJ1 wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 14:53
Lewis and his shortcutting is also in the race thread, where it belongs.

Please take all that over there - thanks
To quote Brundle, you are a day late and a dollar short.

2 days actually.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

Macklaren wrote:
It is interesting that the teams' simulations show McLaren in third place behind RBR and Ferrari. I would be surprised if we did not do better than that...
(I mean at Suzuka)
Do you have anything you can post around these simulations?

-Bandit

Macklaren
Macklaren

mwillems wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 19:54
Macklaren wrote:
(I mean at Suzuka)
https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 6-KlQ&s=19

EDIT: obv these simulations were VERY wrong in Singapore

mwillems

Macklaren wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 19:57
mwillems wrote:
Macklaren wrote:
(I mean at Suzuka)
Ahh so it's not belonging to the teams themselves. Interesting though. I'll take 3rd fastest if that is what on offer.

I'm.particulary excited to see both drivers in the new trim.

-Bandit

Macklaren
Macklaren

Albert says its from simulator times so not sure what his source of that is

mwillems

There seems to be a lot of disagreement in the twitter thread suggesting McLaren will be second fastest. Not long to wait thankfully. I'm excited to see if anyone is affected by the regulation changes and for a chance at another podium. Apparently the Singapore simulations had Red Bull 1st.

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

These simulations had Aston Martin 5th quickest in Singapore I believe…..

The sims probably won’t be far off, I think Ferrari have found their feet somewhat now and rumour had it that they took a bit of a PU upgrade to Monza
Just a fan's point of view

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

Is there any chance these upgrades will hinder our strenght in high speed corners? Wouldn't that be something lol. With the old package, I'd say Suzuka and Qatar were the closest we'd get to a win, and podium contenders for sure. With the new one, I guess we'll see during the practice sessions. Too bad red bull will be on top of the game once more.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Macklaren wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 19:57
mwillems wrote:
Macklaren wrote:
(I mean at Suzuka)

EDIT: obv these simulations were VERY wrong in Singapore
His sim's actually weren't that wrong. Only RB was out of position. But then again it's not that hard to guess that Mclaren, Mercedes and Ferrari will be mixing it up together.
A lion must kill its prey.

Tomsky
Tomsky

Dafnalina wrote:
20 Sep 2023, 04:10
Is there any chance these upgrades will hinder our strenght in high speed corners? Wouldn't that be something lol. With the old package, I'd say Suzuka and Qatar were the closest we'd get to a win, and podium contenders for sure. With the new one, I guess we'll see during the practice sessions. Too bad red bull will be on top of the game once more.
McLaren was not the fastest in Singapore qualifying in fast corners.

MrGapes

I think the concern shouldn't be with the cornering... I think the data till this point suggest in a medium to high downforce setting the car is performing well in most corner typologies, even in Singapore there was minimal loss in the slow speed. The real question should be around drag and overall efficiency in my opinion..

Macafangrskg
Macafangrskg

Updated weather

looks good for Ferrari in qualifications unfortunately as they have a problem with low temp. Looks good for us in race day to turn the heat on the tyres.

Although we need to evaluate the new characteristics of the car with the latest upgrade

Bear in mind that Pirelli will bring the hardest choice of the tyres to Suzuka C1,C2,C3

Ferrari hates C3 and upwards and in Singapore we raced with C3,C4,C5

I am hopeful for best of the rest after RB but my biggest fear is Mercedes not Ferrari