2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

What is it that McLaren brought to Singapore with a rear wing loaded like at Silverstone? :D

In theory, the team should not use a rear wing with maximum downforce here, but so far I have only seen one version of the rear wing. Perhaps tomorrow in practice 1 and 2 we will see different options for the rear wing. I'm not sure if the team will use the same rear wing as Silverstone, since the grip and stability of the rear axle is extremely important here in fast corners.

Edit: I found last year's photos from Suzuka. High downforce rear wing, Bahrain specification. What they will choose this year is a big question.

mwillems

Singapore

Silverstone:

Suzuka:

I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

It does indeed look like the Singapore wing and I do indeed need glasses.

Edit: No it's not, the cutouts are the giveaway. All the wings are different. The cutout here does not drop down and connect the the rear wing mounts, which lessens downforce and drag overall. The team identified earlier that this makes the wing more efficient whilst lowering downforce...

I've seen something like it since Zandvoorte, but can't remember where the next evolution of that wing was trialled?

I would call this an upper medium wing or lower High you choose! :D

Edit 2: Now I can't tell if the cutout is fully there or if it is just black paint, but I think it is disconnected from the wing supports! :D

-Bandit

mwillems

Different wing to Singapore or Silverstone. It is a Med DF Wing and an evolution of the Zandvoort wing.

it is the Zandvoort wing, but you can see how modular the rear wing is now. Those upper element side extensions are interchangeable and they swapped out the sides that were rounded for ones that will create a vortex. It is the only difference I can see with my dodgy 46 year old eyes.

Last edited by mwillems on 21 Sep 2023, 14:27, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

Wouter

Wow! Piastri speaks/writes Japanese. Japanese is very difficult to learn.

The Power of Dreams!

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
21 Sep 2023, 14:05
It does indeed look like the Singapore wing and I do indeed need glasses.

Edit: No it's not, the cutouts are the giveaway. All the wings are different. The cutout here does not drop down and connect the the rear wing mounts, which lessens downforce and drag overall. The team identified earlier that this makes the wing more efficient whilst lowering downforce...

I've seen something like it since Zandvoorte, but can't remember where the next evolution of that wing was trialled?

I would call this an upper medium wing or lower High you choose! :D

Edit 2: Now I can't tell if the cutout is fully there or if it is just black paint, but I think it is disconnected from the wing supports! :D
I confirm, very tricky. It is difficult to determine the loading of the main plane. In some places it’s easy to spot a wing from Singapore, from other angles it looks like it’s a wing from Silverstone, but with some modifications for higher downforce. But I guess this is just an optical illusion and we see the same wing that was previously used last week. A little surprising. I figured this would require a less loaded rear wing, a la Bahrain.

Seerix
Seerix

You have the old rear wing on Singapore screenshot, but they used new one in the race, no (with cutout)? Does not seem to be very useful looking at wings which were not used in race.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
21 Sep 2023, 14:20
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F6io2DSbEAA ... name=large

Different wing to Singapore or Silverstone. It is a Med DF Wing and an evolution of the Zandvoort wing.

it is the Zandvoort wing, but you can see how modular the rear wing is now. Those upper element side extensions are interchangeable and they swapped out the sides that were rounded for ones that will create a vortex. It is the only difference I can see with my dodgy 46 year old eyes.

https://cdn-3.motorsport.com/images/amp ... l60-1.webp
Listen, can the team easily vary the types of beam wings with any rear wing or are they designed in one piece?

I look at this zone and see exactly the same beam wing as the week before. It is loaded, but does not have high drag.

mwillems

Seerix wrote:
21 Sep 2023, 14:34
You have the old rear wing on Singapore screenshot, but they used new one in the race, no (with cutout)? Does not seem to be very useful looking at wings which were not used in race.
A very dry approach to being helpful :D

It was taken from other posts on this thread, I didn't check which wing and assumed whomever posted already had.

But still, I'm fairly certain it is a variation of the Zandvoort wing, and indeed it is. Singapore was also a variation of the Zandvoort wing. The take home is we didn't run high DF in Singapore and this may be why our high speed cornering was lower than expected.

Last edited by mwillems on 21 Sep 2023, 15:27, edited 2 times in total.

-Bandit

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
21 Sep 2023, 14:45
mwillems wrote:

Listen, can the team easily vary the types of beam wings with any rear wing or are they designed in one piece?

I look at this zone and see exactly the same beam wing as the week before. It is loaded, but does not have high drag.
From what we've seen they can design a package and work out which work best to bring to a track. In reality if they don't bring a track specific wing they sometimes trial different BW like Ferrari did with the Double and Single element BW at Monza.

But this wing has been tested and I think they will understand what it needs.

Again, it looks to me like a Medium DF wing and I think Stella did say something along the lines of the big wing is offset by the cutout which lowers downforce but gives you a better overall DF/Drag ratio.

So this wasn't maximum downforce at Singapore which might explain why the high speed corners weren't as great as they could be. The solution seems totally appropriate for Suzuka.
Last edited by mwillems on 21 Sep 2023, 15:27, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

mwillems

To be helpful, this is the rear wing shot from Monaco and the headline as that Mclaren were not running a High DF wing because we didn't have one. The Zandvoort/Singapore/Suzuka wing looks like just changes to the cutout from the wing used at Monaco. We are definitively Medium DF Wing at Suzuka. But bear in mind the floor should be producing more DF also, we don't need as much wing here.

-Bandit

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

Sucks that the first practice sessions will be wet. Might be harder to test the upgrades and adjust the setup.

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

mwillems wrote:

I can't remember, did they run with that wing in Zandvoort o did they only test it during practice?

mwillems

Dafnalina wrote:
21 Sep 2023, 15:39
mwillems wrote:

I can't remember, did they run with that wing in Zandvoort o did they only test it during practice?
Test, it rained so they ran the higher DF wing, but it was the first sighting with the cutout and hence it has been named the Zandvoort wing :D :D It was here that Stella discussed its properties.

I'm not even sure the wings themselves have been that different all season bar for Monza, but who knows. They all look to be largely the same AoA and planes but with different "winglets" or cutout variations at the end. I'll let someone else do the research now if they choose to.

-Bandit

mwillems

It's worth considering that Singapore, with the changes to the track layout, is no longer a high DF track.

Two 90 degree corners were removed to leave one long straight, changing the balance requirements between speed and DF. Lap times were around 15 seconds faster than last years fastest dry time in Friday practise. So perhaps 10s quicker in Qualy trim. Average circuit speed would be noticeably higher, as well as % time on Full throttle.

-Bandit