2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Juzh

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

issey wrote:
21 Sep 2023, 10:04
I thought it was just a red herring.
/s

NAPI10
NAPI10

makecry wrote:
20 Sep 2023, 23:51
"Aston is threatened with a hard end-of-season sprint. "I already said after the first races that we do not have the infrastructure and firepower in the development race like other teams. We try to bring continuous upgrades, but others do it at a higher rate. That's why we are investing in our campus right now," says Krack." via AMuS.

Bruh you guys had --- ton of wind tunnel time, you guys touted how majority of the car would change because of an aggressive development plan. IMO this implies they don't expect to find the gains we hope they would.
It's an interesting comment from Krack. All teams working with same 'Budget Cap', still teams like Merc & Mclr able to launch almost 2 cars(plus major upgrades) during the course of this season and AM not even able to build on to strong start to the season. Does it all boil down to just 'No of Resources' or 'Resource Talent'?
There is flexi wing, tire compound change but along with that AM must have made some wrong choices in tech development, which can't be blamed on 'Limited Resources'.

peewon

NAPI10 wrote:
21 Sep 2023, 15:20
makecry wrote:
20 Sep 2023, 23:51
"Aston is threatened with a hard end-of-season sprint. "I already said after the first races that we do not have the infrastructure and firepower in the development race like other teams. We try to bring continuous upgrades, but others do it at a higher rate. That's why we are investing in our campus right now," says Krack." via AMuS.

Bruh you guys had --- ton of wind tunnel time, you guys touted how majority of the car would change because of an aggressive development plan. IMO this implies they don't expect to find the gains we hope they would.
It's an interesting comment from Krack. All teams working with same 'Budget Cap', still teams like Merc & Mclr able to launch almost 2 cars(plus major upgrades) during the course of this season and AM not even able to build on to strong start to the season. Does it all boil down to just 'No of Resources' or 'Resource Talent'?
There is flexi wing, tire compound change but along with that AM must have made some wrong choices in tech development, which can't be blamed on 'Limited Resources'.
I think he means in terms of not having their own wind tunnel and other infrastructure for producing parts in house. However, there is little excuse for the quality of the upgrades they have brought.

organic

AMR themselves have brought multiple updates to sidepod region, multiple engine cover updates, multiple front wings, 2 full floor reworks. The car has changed a lot. The Canada update not working properly/the clampdown on flexing bodywork has hidden progress made

Compared to other teams it's not like AMR have not brought many updates in terms of sheer quantity: Merc, RB for instance haven't changed their floor substantially all season. Ferrari have changed very little since Austria.

I think McLaren are the major outlier in terms of being able to bring what seemed like a B spec and then recently a C spec despite restrictions like budget cap. But you have to consider that they launched the season with a car that was essentially the same as at the end of 2022. So treating the Austria raft of changes as the "launch spec" means that this Singapore update makes sense.

peewon

organic wrote:
21 Sep 2023, 17:06
AMR themselves have brought multiple updates to sidepod region, multiple engine cover updates, multiple front wings, 2 full floor reworks. The car has changed a lot. The Canada update not working properly/the clampdown on flexing bodywork has hidden progress made

Compared to other teams it's not like AMR have not brought many updates in terms of sheer quantity: Merc, RB for instance haven't changed their floor substantially all season. Ferrari have changed very little since Austria.

I think McLaren are the major outlier in terms of being able to bring what seemed like a B spec and then recently a C spec despite restrictions like budget cap. But you have to consider that they launched the season with a car that was essentially the same as at the end of 2022. So treating the Austria raft of changes as the "launch spec" means that this Singapore update makes sense.
Maybe Im misunderstanding your comment but Mercedes definitely brought a new floor as part of their Monaco update. Ferrari has also changed their floor once and bringing a further update to it in Japan. Not to mention Merc changed their suspension and both teams have drastically altered their sidepod designs. I don't think AM is comparable in that sense to them.

However, its not the sheer upgrades but the relative effect that the upgrades have had. Now, its become impossible to separate the front wing ban from the effectiveness of the upgrades but overall AM have lost ground pretty drastically and it seems to be continuing in that direction. Moreover, whats worrying or the future is that McLaren are talking about only having implemented 50% of their design ideas for the car so far and Ferrari continuing an aggressive development plan whereas AM is already talking about next season which shows how confident different teams are about ideas and potential for improvement.

organic

peewon wrote:
21 Sep 2023, 18:50
organic wrote:

Maybe Im misunderstanding your comment but Mercedes definitely brought a new floor as part of their Monaco update. Ferrari has also changed their floor once and bringing a further update to it in Japan. Not to mention Merc changed their suspension and both teams have drastically altered their sidepod designs. I don't think AM is comparable in that sense to them.

However, its not the sheer upgrades but the relative effect that the upgrades have had. Now, its become impossible to separate the front wing ban from the effectiveness of the upgrades but overall AM have lost ground pretty drastically and it seems to be continuing in that direction. Moreover, whats worrying or the future is that McLaren are talking about only having implemented 50% of their design ideas for the car so far and Ferrari continuing an aggressive development plan whereas AM is already talking about next season which shows how confident different teams are about ideas and potential for improvement.
The only thing that changed with Merc's floor at Monaco was the camber of the floor fences. Floor edge, floor body, diffuser was not changed.

And i wouldn't read into the comments of other teams. Everyone will be bullish at times and reserved at others.

-wkst-
-wkst-

In my opinion it is not the case that they had for example multiple new front wings. They had a new one in Spain, all others were just track specific tweaks. Sidepod area the same but in Canada. AMuS claims moreover that their new Zandvoort floor is more or less a pre Canada spec.

NAPI10
NAPI10

organic wrote:
21 Sep 2023, 18:54
peewon wrote:
21 Sep 2023, 18:50
organic wrote:

The only thing that changed with Merc's floor at Monaco was the camber of the floor fences. Floor edge, floor body, diffuser was not changed.

And i wouldn't read into the comments of other teams. Everyone will be bullish at times and reserved at others.
Has any F1 team in recent past fall from '2nd' fastest at the start of the season to '6th or 7th' fastest by mid season (depending on circuit)?
Even if we say, the circuit layouts at the starting of the season doesn't really represent entire season still its a steep decline. I don't remember any team fallen so sharp so fast. There is something fundamentally wrong with their development strategy.

diffuser

KimiRai wrote:
21 Sep 2023, 14:09
According to a source they were supposed to bring a front wing to Singapore but they didn't, maybe it was a lack of time, and that we could see it in the next races. There's one photo in Suzuka which shows a wing seemingly different than the previous version at least in the arrangement of the brackets, with these located nearer to the outside like -wkst- says, but anyways we'll find out tomorrow if there's really any changes.
The new wing has combined the bottom 2 flaps and split the top flap.

KimiRai
KimiRai

NAPI10 wrote:
21 Sep 2023, 20:29
Has any F1 team in recent past fall from '2nd' fastest at the start of the season to '6th or 7th' fastest by mid season (depending on circuit)?
Even if we say, the circuit layouts at the starting of the season doesn't really represent entire season still its a steep decline. I don't remember any team fallen so sharp so fast. There is something fundamentally wrong with their development strategy.
6th/7th fastest is an exaggeration, it has never been that bad. The gaps between the teams apart from Red Bull are extremely close this year which means a few tenths can make you climb many places at once and respectively also fall many places, it's a very big midfield with only one top car.

We have no idea what went on and what was done wrong if anything. I'm of the opinion the team is simply not ready yet rather than something being done especially wrong, and we should be patient

NAPI10
NAPI10

KimiRai wrote:
21 Sep 2023, 22:11
NAPI10 wrote:
6th/7th fastest is an exaggeration, it has never been that bad. The gaps between the teams apart from Red Bull are extremely close this year which means a few tenths can make you climb many places at once and respectively also fall many places, it's a very big midfield with only one top car.

We have no idea what went on and what was done wrong if anything. I'm of the opinion the team is simply not ready yet rather than something being done especially wrong, and we should be patient
Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to bash the team or criticize them. Just want to understand the reasons for such a fall.

peewon

KimiRai wrote:
21 Sep 2023, 22:11
NAPI10 wrote:

While 6th or 7th is probably an exaggeration, I think its fair to say that Monaco onwards from race to race, they are definitely behind RB, Ferrari, Mercedes and Mclaren. So 5th fastest is fair in my opinion and points scored (even if you only consider Alonso) reflects that. I think the gap to these teams is fairly large on tracks which are not just 90deg turns like Canada or Singapore. In fact, the gap is closer to Alpine behind them and Williams and now Alpha Tauri are closing in. It could get really ugly before the end of the season on some tracks.

KimiRai
KimiRai

KimiRai wrote:
21 Sep 2023, 14:09
According to a source they were supposed to bring a front wing to Singapore but they didn't, maybe it was a lack of time, and that we could see it in the next races.
Fabrega has said a similar thing during FP1 on the spanish broadcast, that updates were expected for Singapore that in the end didn't arrive (and by the looks of it neither to Suzuka), he continues that between now and the end of the season we'll see if those parts arrive that can give Aston Martin a leap in quality and get back into the fight. So it seems there could potentially be one upgrade package left, that for some reason is taking more time than expected to arrive on track.

noshbloke

KimiRai
KimiRai

S1 is okay, then average S2 and poor S3. Low top speed. Stroll seems to be closer as expected.