2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

LionsHeart wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 11:30
mwillems wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 11:25
LionsHeart wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 11:17

Thank you very much for such an array of data.

The race pace looks promising. Interestingly, here in Suzuka the asphalt is quite abrasive. How many pitstops are planned? 2 or 3? On race day, the weather forecast promises 28-29 degrees Celsius.
They've brought the C1, C2 and C3 tyres so shouldn't need three stops. Last year it was 1 or 2 stops with 2 stops being optimal. This year with the extra grip and these new tyres I'm not sure if teams won't try and get away with a 1 stop strategy.
It is truth too. This means 2 stops will be more preferable. I'm not sure that anyone will make 1 pit stop given the warm weather. I suspect the tires will be hard-boiled. :D
Yes possibly, but I don't rule it out, there are some crazy strategists in the world and Ferrari doesn't have all of them!
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

mwillems wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 11:32
LionsHeart wrote:
mwillems wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 11:25

They've brought the C1, C2 and C3 tyres so shouldn't need three stops. Last year it was 1 or 2 stops with 2 stops being optimal. This year with the extra grip and these new tyres I'm not sure if teams won't try and get away with a 1 stop strategy.
It is truth too. This means 2 stops will be more preferable. I'm not sure that anyone will make 1 pit stop given the warm weather. I suspect the tires will be hard-boiled. :D
Yes possibly, but I don't rule it out, there are some crazy strategists in the world and Ferrari doesn't have all of them!
The deg looks way too high to gamble on a 1 stop. The mediums were looking to go off at about the same rate as the softs. Track still rubbering in of course but it really does look like 2 stop is the fastest game in town

mwillems

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 12:01
mwillems wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 11:32
LionsHeart wrote:

The deg looks way too high to gamble on a 1 stop. The mediums were looking to go off at about the same rate as the softs. Track still rubbering in of course but it really does look like 2 stop is the fastest game in town
Yeah I was just reading about it and it is more likely to be 2 or 3 stop unless the track rubbers in more, apparently the surface of the track is crumbling this year causing sliding?? I didn't realise this otherwise as the article states it could have been one stop, I was just following the reports in here of decent deg.

It would of course rubber in more, but there is overnight rain forecast and this is what might force the decision. Teams might not use the soft which would likely make it 2 stop, but let's see how the weekend progresses.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/russe ... /10523658/

This might also impact the wing choice somewhat.
Last edited by mwillems on 22 Sep 2023, 12:26, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

MrGapes

mwillems

MrGapes wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 12:22
Errrrr so that's the total opposite of the drivers?

Well, if Pirelli agree with me then I'm clearly wrong.

We just wait and see :D

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

I was a little surprised that Lando was even going faster on the first twisty sector compared to Oscar. Although I can admit that Oscar is still just adapting to the track. I like his gradual approach of increasing his speed from session to session. The guy is very smart and absorbs valuable information like a sponge. His mature approach is also impressive. Yes, Oscar will tighten up tomorrow, but here I would like to focus more on the rear wing. I assume the team will go for a medium downforce option. Yesterday, I was surprised to see a wing with more downforce. I wonder if more downforce helps in terms of rear stability and less tire wear, because here in Suzuka there is usually a limit on the front tires as in Silverstone.

Will the team leave Oscar with a loaded rear wing to gather even more information? Usually such things are checked in the first practice, then the rear wing is changed so that the driver can make a more accurate choice based on the feeling behind the wheel.

I'm most likely deluded and both drivers will get a Silverstone spec wing tomorrow. Comrades, has anyone seen the comparative top speeds between Lando and Oscar? With one drs opening zone, the issue of top speed may become even more acute. Yes, tomorrow in practice 3 it will be clear what the team will choose, but at least I would like to see comparative data.

Seerix
Seerix

Haven't seen anyone mention it, came a bit out of nowhere. New F1 reserve:

MTudor
MTudor

I'm reading about a future Mclaren test driver backed by Toyota,now corroborated this with the using of Toyota's wind tunnel and when that ended,the guys from Toyota Germany said they look forward to colaborate with Mclaren in the future makes me speculate of a posible Toyota return in F1 in 2027-2028 with Mclaren.

Macklaren
Macklaren

Agree. This appears to be a symbolic appointment but what does it signify? I don't think Toyota or any manufacturer will want to enter in the middle of new regs and it's too late for 2026

bauc

Macklaren wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 13:29
Agree. This appears to be a symbolic appointment but what does it signify? I don't think Toyota or any manufacturer will want to enter in the middle of new regs and it's too late for 2026
It might be a simple pay back to Toyota for their cooperation. Maybe they've given Mclaren a discounted price in return for a reserve driver seat....
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Farnborough
Farnborough

Macklaren wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 13:29
In purely technical terms, they have a very serious amount of prowess in regard to engineering power units. I dont think they could be dismissed at 100% certainty from something like this, that's if their corporate aims are aligned with what F1 could give them.

It maybe coincidence as we see now, but believable and possible if the interest was there.

mwillems

Is there any development or budget restriction for the new engines that might be bypassed by joining 2 years later?

Just wondering if it really is bad to join 2 years later.
I agree that it is probably coincidental though but I'll also admit a pang of excitement the moment saw he was a Toyota driver.

Payback for the Tunnel I'm not sure about, it has cost us a fortune already. And I think if we needed an actual driver to step into a real race it won't be him. It's more of an honorary title. Where is his super license at? Do reserve drivers stepping in need one?

Edit: I had never heard of him before. He looks quite handy and has a super license from 2 world endurance championship wins.

-Bandit

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

mwillems wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 14:05
Is there any development or budget restriction for the new engines that might be bypassed by joining 2 years later?

I agree that it is probably coincidental though but I'll also admit a pang of excitement the moment saw he was a Toyota driver.

Payback for the Tunnel I'm not sure about, it has cost us a fortune already. And I think if we needed an actual driver to step into a real race it won't be him. It's more of an honorary title. Where is his super license at? Do reserve drivers stepping in need one?

Edit: I had never heard of him before. He looks quite handy and has a super license from 2 world endurance championship wins.
He's got a super license, also runs Super Formula in Japan. Actually, not sure if he's still running, but has definitely run in recently times.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mwillems

Ground Effect wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 14:13
mwillems wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 14:05

He's got a super license, also runs Super Formula in Japan. Actually, not sure if he's still running, but has definitely run in recently times.
Yeah I had a look, I don't think it is symbolic, he can do a job. I put that in the edit but not sure you got that far :D

He won two world Endurance Championship in a row and finished 3rd in the Super Formula... and unless I'm much mistaken I read somewhere that this is one of the closest formulas to F1?

-Bandit

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 12:37
I was a little surprised that Lando was even going faster on the first twisty sector compared to Oscar. Although I can admit that Oscar is still just adapting to the track. I like his gradual approach of increasing his speed from session to session. The guy is very smart and absorbs valuable information like a sponge. His mature approach is also impressive. Yes, Oscar will tighten up tomorrow, but here I would like to focus more on the rear wing. I assume the team will go for a medium downforce option. Yesterday, I was surprised to see a wing with more downforce. I wonder if more downforce helps in terms of rear stability and less tire wear, because here in Suzuka there is usually a limit on the front tires as in Silverstone.

Will the team leave Oscar with a loaded rear wing to gather even more information? Usually such things are checked in the first practice, then the rear wing is changed so that the driver can make a more accurate choice based on the feeling behind the wheel.

I'm most likely deluded and both drivers will get a Silverstone spec wing tomorrow. Comrades, has anyone seen the comparative top speeds between Lando and Oscar? With one drs opening zone, the issue of top speed may become even more acute. Yes, tomorrow in practice 3 it will be clear what the team will choose, but at least I would like to see comparative data.
My gut feeling is they will take the "Upper Medium" and not the Medium :D :D :D

I'd be surprised if they split the wings in Q but who knows. The track surface looks like it might have a say in the choice, if it really is that slippy you cannot lose too much time in the corners.

-Bandit