2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
organic

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Tomsky wrote:
23 Sep 2023, 06:13
https://i.imgur.com/zb5T6Zk.jpeg
I think that's comparison from the first runs on softs in fp3

this is from the final runs

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

MrGapes wrote:
23 Sep 2023, 04:48
car looked incredibly well balanced on first fp3 run.. could be the track finally gripping up, but also car looked way better in the slow corners
There was rain overnight… So, the track was actually greener at the beginning of FP3 compared to the end of FP2

f1rules
f1rules

To the redbull philosophy…, is maybe a bit much, mclaren seem to incorporate whichever concept they think will gain them performance, and looks like they finally with the new structure, have a very good understanding of, what this era type of cars need, to work well

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

f1rules wrote:
23 Sep 2023, 06:17
To the redbull philosophy…, is maybe a bit much, mclaren seem to incorporate whichever concept they think will gain them performance, and looks like they finally with the new structure, have a very good understanding of, what this era type of cars need, to work well
This is one of those situations when you figure out what works, it becomes a bit easier to find gains… I would argue that we may still be missing a bit in the suspension department… For example, Mercedes seems to be behind from an aero perspective, but may be making the gap on the chassis portion… The addition of the new people for next year will hopefully also helps in the chassis side.

f1rules
f1rules

Agree, will be very interesting, with new tools and new people arriving, especially marshall, mr mass damper. Even blabla head helmut marko, recognized, that with the path mclaren is on and their understanding of this ruleset, he said it would be interesting what they come up with for next year when all this knowledge is incorporated into a new car,

SmallSoldier wrote:
23 Sep 2023, 06:23
f1rules wrote:
This is one of those situations when you figure out what works, it becomes a bit easier to find gains… I would argue that we may still be missing a bit in the suspension department… For example, Mercedes seems to be behind from an aero perspective, but may be making the gap on the chassis portion… The addition of the new people for next year will hopefully also helps in the chassis side.

BMMR61

f1rules wrote:
23 Sep 2023, 06:35
Agree, will be very interesting, with new tools and new people arriving, especially marshall, mr mass damper. Even blabla head helmut marko, recognized, that with the path mclaren is on and their understanding of this ruleset, he said it would be interesting what they come up with for next year when all this knowledge is incorporated into a new car,

SmallSoldier wrote:
f1rules wrote:
Is Marshall's gardening finish at the end of 2024?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

f1rules wrote:

SmallSoldier wrote:
f1rules wrote:
And the team will have an slight advantage in terms of CFD and Tunnel time, which should help keep the development rate on the high side

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

BMMR61 wrote:
23 Sep 2023, 06:41
f1rules wrote:

SmallSoldier wrote:

Is Marshall's gardening finish at the end of 2024?
Yes… Starts at the beginning of next year

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 21:42
mwillems wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 19:33
Dafnalina wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 19:00

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gpblog ... -prix.html

It seems Oscar has a new engine. Could that make a difference?
Could be. Or he might have been taking it easy, testing setups... I don't read too much into Friday Times. That advantage to Lando looks so dominant that it makes me suspect it isn't representative. But it may be.
Friday times should be taken with a grain of salt, but a couple of things caught my attention… Drag has been reduced considerably, to the point that it matches both RBR and Ferrari in the most drag dependent part of the lap between Spoon and 130R, this is also noticeable against Aston Martin, who used to have better drag than McLaren and now apparently the trend has changed… The RBR seems faster, specially in the “S” complex and through the hairpin, were most of the time is lost.

Qualifying will be interesting
There's definately plenty to pique the interest especially given conversations around why drag coefficients might have changed, but I'm still being a politician on that subject for now. Engine modes etc.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

f1rules wrote:
There is definitely and element of learning from what the other cars have done and you cannot say at this point that we have led the way in development.

But at the same time, there seems to be something very complex about the geometry of individual parts, especially under the floor and how they interact with the shapes above and around, and my feeling is that in someway the understanding of this relationship has "clicked" in quite some detail, and you can't learn this from looking at the other cars, at least not easily.

So I think this is a huge part of the development rate and success and it is a huge congratulations for what the team has done, the proof will be seen next year though when we have an opportunity to come back from the summer break with something quite interesting.

Whilst we are talking about suspension, I saw an interesting snippet from Max this year, can't remember where from. He has also had issues getting into corners in high energy braking zones, so he says, with the car then being slippery throughout the corner afterwards. it is interesting because we have a similar issue, yet they have this "anti dive" braking which we'd think might fix that... Of course it could be setups as the RB is set to run very hard and low, but I wanted to mention it as it was interesting and relevant to one of our issues.
Last edited by mwillems on 23 Sep 2023, 07:44, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
23 Sep 2023, 07:22
SmallSoldier wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 21:42
mwillems wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 19:33

Could be. Or he might have been taking it easy, testing setups... I don't read too much into Friday Times. That advantage to Lando looks so dominant that it makes me suspect it isn't representative. But it may be.
Friday times should be taken with a grain of salt, but a couple of things caught my attention… Drag has been reduced considerably, to the point that it matches both RBR and Ferrari in the most drag dependent part of the lap between Spoon and 130R, this is also noticeable against Aston Martin, who used to have better drag than McLaren and now apparently the trend has changed… The RBR seems faster, specially in the “S” complex and through the hairpin, were most of the time is lost.

Qualifying will be interesting
There's definately plenty to pique the interest especially given conversations around why drag coefficients might have changed, but I'm still being a politician on that subject for now. Engine modes etc.
We will find out more after qualifying… It was interesting that they were not using the new concept rear wing, instead using the old one

MrGapes

team only has 5 softs for quali.

to even have a chance at beating Max, both the guys will need two new softs for there q3 runs imo, so they need to get through q1 on 1 new soft, and q2 on 1 new soft.

This is certainly plausible, if the 5-6tenth gap to the rest is true + Suzuka has much less track evo. They need to hold there q1 laps until 12-13 mins
Last edited by MrGapes on 23 Sep 2023, 07:56, edited 1 time in total.

organic

MrGapes wrote:
23 Sep 2023, 07:53

to even have a chance at beating Max, both the guys will need two new softs for there q3 runs imo, so they need to get through q1 on 1 new soft, and q2 on 1 new soft.
Only 5? Max has just 3 sets of new softs. He's the direct competition and he could only have 1 proper run in Q3. Pole is wide open imo

MrGapes

organic wrote:
23 Sep 2023, 07:55
MrGapes wrote:

Only 5? Max has just 3 sets of new softs. He's the direct competition and he could only have 1 proper run in Q3. Pole is wide open imo
Yes but I think in outright similar scenarios Max will have a 1-2 tenth margin especially because of the last chicane.. need to have some sort of slight advantage..

Tomsky
Tomsky

MrGapes wrote: