2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
trinidefender
trinidefender

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

mwillems wrote:
23 Sep 2023, 09:39
trinidefender wrote:
23 Sep 2023, 09:34
FittingMechanics wrote:
23 Sep 2023, 09:27

I just checked - Piastri would keep 2nd by 2 thousands of a second from Leclerc.
Norris would be P4 behind Leclerc.

It has to be said, amazing job by the team. Finally the team is strong enough to easily advance into Q3. It's great to watch relaxed.
What do you mean? Would have? I'm confused how you were able to work those times out.

Are you basing it off of Q2 times? If so then that's not accurate because it doesn't take into account track evolution and drivers realising where they can make up a bit of time.
Piastris last lap was 1.29.540, almost the same as his first and would have stayed P2 if you ignore Lando's first fast lap
Oh, I was under the impression that neither driver improved on the first lap.

Did they?

mwillems

trinidefender wrote:
23 Sep 2023, 09:41
mwillems wrote:
23 Sep 2023, 09:39
trinidefender wrote:
23 Sep 2023, 09:34

What do you mean? Would have? I'm confused how you were able to work those times out.

Are you basing it off of Q2 times? If so then that's not accurate because it doesn't take into account track evolution and drivers realising where they can make up a bit of time.
Piastris last lap was 1.29.540, almost the same as his first and would have stayed P2 if you ignore Lando's first fast lap
Oh, I was under the impression that neither driver improved on the first lap.

Did they?
No but Piastri was just very marginally behind his 1st time.

Both times were good for second.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

Landos Times were good for 3rd and 4th.

-Bandit

EJ22B
EJ22B

Looks like Zak is trying to get Toyota to enter formula 1 as an engine supplier for McLaren. Karun mentioned to Zak about seeing Toyoda San in the McLaren motorhome yesterday.

This makes sense as Zak has been trying to increase the partnership with Toyota and even hired Ryo Hirakawa who is also a toyota driver as the McLaren f1 reserve driver.

MrGapes

great lap from Oscar!

I'm not sure what happened between Q3 lap 1 - lap 2 unfortunately something urgent came up and missed that last few runs

Honestly from watching the onboards and seeing the data.. Max was untouchable... he was quick everywhere, the throttle through the esses was impressive.

Interesting dynamic tomorrow for our two guys, Oscar is running less df, the wings looked the same, I just think Lando is running the ride height very low (you can hear the difference between the two).

Hence the 3 tenth gap till the hairpin then it slowly disappears.

runningmanz
runningmanz

Great result for the team in second and third. Well done Oscar having not even driven at this track before! Amazing. He said he messed up a bit in S2 and S3 on that last run too so more left in it. Not sure about Norris but Oscar is so impressive this season so far!

mwillems

I will just mention again that Oscar is becoming the match for Lando and very quickly, and given that this season is largely over in terms of constructors and development, this is what excites me for the final run in.

-Bandit

mwillems

EJ22B wrote:
23 Sep 2023, 09:50
Looks like Zak is trying to get Toyota to enter formula 1 as an engine supplier for McLaren. Karun mentioned to Zak about seeing Toyoda San in the McLaren motorhome yesterday.

This makes sense as Zak has been trying to increase the partnership with Toyota and even hired Ryo Hirakawa who is also a toyota driver as the McLaren f1 reserve driver.
That is a big leap. It's certainly a possibility.

-Bandit

_cerber1

A great result for the team =D> , Oscar is just great, Lando needs to get ready. Tomorrow it will be difficult, there are a lot of strong rivals behind.

mwillems

mwillems wrote:
23 Sep 2023, 09:57
I will just mention again that Oscar is becoming the match for Lando and very quickly, and given that this season is largely over in terms of constructors and development, this is what excites me for the final run in.
2-2 In Qualy since the break and for the 3 races prior Oscar was only 1 place behind Lando in each.

-Bandit

organic

_cerber1 wrote:
23 Sep 2023, 09:58
A great result for the team =D> , Oscar is just great, Lando needs to get ready. Tomorrow it will be difficult, there are a lot of strong rivals behind.
What are the expectations? A strategic battle to keep Perez from coming through to p2?

_cerber1

organic wrote:
23 Sep 2023, 10:11
What are the expectations? A strategic battle to keep Perez from coming through to p2?
At the racing pace, Perez, Ferrari and Mercedes are still strong, I think our main task will be not to let them go ahead.

mwillems

_cerber1 wrote:
23 Sep 2023, 10:19
organic wrote:
23 Sep 2023, 10:11
At the racing pace, Perez, Ferrari and Mercedes are still strong, I think our main task will be not to let them go ahead.
Tyres will have a large hand, in particular for Ferrari who may chew up their rears. Perez is a tough ask to defend against in that car in race trim as we know the car is very kind with its tyres. Merc feel like they could be where the fight is at.

-Bandit

MrGapes

Anything can happen at T1 around here.. haha, but the standard protocol really is for P1 to dash to the right, and split stream P2, so I'd be happy if all the top 3 hold there positions through T1. I think that leaves Oscar slightly vulnerable on the outside, but that's up to the team to tell Lando to chill out T1.

mwillems

I was ignoring T1/2 Mayhem which can't be predicted! We have good starts this year so there is every opportunity to get ahead of Max, but that position would last for all of 3 laps at maximum and we shouldn't waste tyre life fighting him too much, I don't think.

It is important for our drivers not to cause each other to drop back and to have one eye on the team when fighting each other.

-Bandit