2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

organic wrote:
23 Sep 2023, 11:20
Spoutnik wrote:
23 Sep 2023, 11:12
Is the main loss is in S3 against Verstappen ?
You can see here the delta mostly builds in S1
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F6slOKpWoAA ... &name=orig
Thank you, and to @mwillems for your answer !

It's quite impressive how much progress McLaren made in the high speed section then (S3), despite RB monumental efficiency. The telemetry in Verstappen S1 looks crazy

the EDGE
the EDGE

mwillems wrote:
23 Sep 2023, 10:47
the EDGE wrote:
23 Sep 2023, 10:43
I hope McLaren don't decide they have to sacrifice Oscar to maximize their points haul again, I see why they do it, but he deserves better

Its great to see McLaren in a position where they can choose to run just 1 lap in Q1, It confirms they have left the midfield behind, at least here any way. 0.5 quicker than 4th best team is an incredible achievement
It didn't maximise points haul (Monza), but that is another debate.

You're 1st or not 1st in this game but the goal of being 4th fastest car by year end appears to have been smashed (so far).

It will be interesting to analyse the gaps in pace in the race at the seasons end now the updates have finished coming because this is where he money is really at. How close are we at the seasons end in time to RB. Might be nice to get a graph of the % away from RB complete race time for each race. There would be variables interfering with the true picture, but you'll get a good approximation through the trend.
No debate needed about Monza, I completely agree with you, but that is what the team claimed i believe?

The guys were very evenly match again this weekend, it could have gone either way with P2/P3, I expect that to continue between them, like it has between 2 other previous McLaren team mates over the years... World champion Fernando Alonso & Rookie Lewis Hamilton. As equal in year 1 as it is in year 15

I'm pretty sure the analysis in race pace will just show McLaren have smashed it, in every single way possible... off the chart! :lol:, but I wouldn't rule out further updates. They've definitely stopped developing the MCL60, but I'm sure I remember reading that if there's something they discover whilst developing next years car that can be bought to this years car then they would

mclaren111

mwillems wrote:
23 Sep 2023, 09:18
Sir, permission to make an observation about Oscars progress, sir!
:lol: =D> =D> :lol:

Juzh

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

Fantastic from our drivers. I knew Oscar was taking it easy during practice. The way he builds up up to quali is so impressive. Good job from Lando too, he's normally a bit of a bozo in this circuit.

Lando has more of a race setup. I'm expecting some new undercut drama when tyre management comes to play 😜

mwillems

the EDGE wrote:
23 Sep 2023, 11:50
mwillems wrote:
23 Sep 2023, 10:47
the EDGE wrote:
23 Sep 2023, 10:43
I hope McLaren don't decide they have to sacrifice Oscar to maximize their points haul again, I see why they do it, but he deserves better

Its great to see McLaren in a position where they can choose to run just 1 lap in Q1, It confirms they have left the midfield behind, at least here any way. 0.5 quicker than 4th best team is an incredible achievement
It didn't maximise points haul (Monza), but that is another debate.

You're 1st or not 1st in this game but the goal of being 4th fastest car by year end appears to have been smashed (so far).

It will be interesting to analyse the gaps in pace in the race at the seasons end now the updates have finished coming because this is where he money is really at. How close are we at the seasons end in time to RB. Might be nice to get a graph of the % away from RB complete race time for each race. There would be variables interfering with the true picture, but you'll get a good approximation through the trend.
No debate needed about Monza, I completely agree with you, but that is what the team claimed i believe?

The guys were very evenly match again this weekend, it could have gone either way with P2/P3, I expect that to continue between them, like it has between 2 other previous McLaren team mates over the years... World champion Fernando Alonso & Rookie Lewis Hamilton. As equal in year 1 as it is in year 15

I'm pretty sure the analysis in race pace will just show McLaren have smashed it, in every single way possible... off the chart! :lol:, but I wouldn't rule out further updates. They've definitely stopped developing the MCL60, but I'm sure I remember reading that if there's something they discover whilst developing next years car that can be bought to this years car then they would
Yeah we've done great. Im interested in the trend and to what degree the total time gaps have closed when you remove SC and VSC laps, by driver and by team.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Seerix
Seerix

Let's remember McLarens have 2 hards and 1 medium set saved. Don't question the strategy if there are 2 stops and they put hards on.

Emag
Emag

Juzh wrote:
23 Sep 2023, 12:32
Piastri's q3 lap

https://streamable.com/1gcxbq
This looks visually more "in-place" than the RedBull through S1, but it's 0.2s slower. Interesting how a car can appear more "loose" when you ride on board but end up being faster.

Kinda reminds me of 2019-2020 McLaren actually. They also were quite stable on corners, but couldn't really carry the same speed as the top guys were doing. Now they're much closer, but they've kept this trait.

mwillems

Seerix wrote:
23 Sep 2023, 12:52
Let's remember McLarens have 2 hards and 1 medium set saved. Don't question the strategy if there are 2 stops and they put hards on.
There's every chance softs are useless here.

-Bandit

Tomsky
Tomsky

djos

Dam! What an epic lap by Oscar! Considering he’s never even been to Japan, let alone raced there, that was amazing!

Great lap by Lando too. So great to see that McLaren are now even better than Ferrari!
"In downforce we trust"

mwillems

-Bandit

bauc

We pulled the best we could for this qualy, lets get a double podium tomorrow!
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

geogate
geogate

dont give up on the win so easy people - if one our guys jumps max at the start, not sure he will easily be able to pass

mwillems

geogate wrote:
23 Sep 2023, 15:28
dont give up on the win so easy people - if one our guys jumps max at the start, not sure he will easily be able to pass
Well, it's just an opinion but I think he'll pass us very easy.

But you never know, maybe somehow in race trim it doesn't work out for RB? But I doubt it personally.

-Bandit