2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

LionsHeart wrote:
23 Sep 2023, 19:21
Dafnalina wrote:
23 Sep 2023, 18:13
LionsHeart wrote:
23 Sep 2023, 18:05
Oh yeah, I forgot to write something else. I have a hunch that McLaren fell so far behind in qualifying by reconfiguring both cars for the race in order to better conserve tires. I'm not sure if this is actually the case, but given the experience of Silverstone, it could well be.
I don't think they were running a race setup. Maybe Lando who had more downforce. Not sure it'll help much with the tyres, but tyre deg seems to have improved with the upgrades.

I think we're more like Mercedes now, with our race pace being better than our quali pace.

Stella's comments about being disappointed with the huge gap to RB indicate this had nothing to do with setup.
I don't know anything about Lando having more downforce. The rear wing are the same. I didn't pay any attention to the beam wing. It could be, of course. The updates have definitely had a positive effect in terms of better tire handling. Now the tires should not go so quickly as in the first half of the season. But this alone may not be enough here. Here in Suzuka abrasive asphalt, high temperature, a large number of fast corners. Mercedes also experienced wear issues, although their car is generally good in terms of tire wear. The race will tell the whole story. I'm curious myself. :)
The softs did a decent 10 lap stint on NOR. Lots of drop off but definitely not worse than any other team bar VER 😂
Honestly if they can’t get past in the first 2 corners then say Sayonara Max. As he’ll be gone. I’m definitely optimistic in terms of race pace. Seems we have turned a corner with the last batch of upgrades

ollandos
ollandos

ollandos
ollandos

mwillems

ollandos wrote:
23 Sep 2023, 19:53
So Lando things they got everything they could from the car and that the second lap, for himself at least, was down to trying to take too much from the tyres in the 1st sector which ruined the rest of the lap.
Last edited by mwillems on 23 Sep 2023, 20:34, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

Now this is interesting. We have the highest top speed with DRS closed. This bodes well for the race.

-Bandit

mwillems

We aren't great in Turn 1

-Bandit

mwillems

Another set of mini sectors. The other map from Federico Albano tried to do calculations based on time points in the telemetry and not on mini sectors within the API and I don't think it works (You can tell as it is a series of lines for each point in the telemetry instead of smoothly coloured areas of the track). The Mclaren is not dominant over the Red Bull from before 12 to 16, that's over a third of the track alone.

Last edited by mwillems on 23 Sep 2023, 21:07, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Piastri has a new engine.
So do both Red Bull drivers and Hamilton.

mwillems

Yeah it was posted earlier and is part of the reason Oscar is faster than Lando

-Bandit

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

Not Suzuka-related, but an interview with Lando with more general comments on how he feels the current reg cars drive.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/ ... rive-at-95

Macklaren
Macklaren

Looked like having 2 new Hard is going to be a real tactical advantage vs Max and Ferrari tomorrow

Darth-Piekus

If we manage to find a way to pass Verstappen at the start with both Mclarens with a little bit of luck like Verstappen botching his start a little we might stand a chance considering there aren't many places to pass and Mclaren has a good top speed. Perhaps use one driver as a shield and the other to start making distance.

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

Darth-Piekus wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 01:56
If we manage to find a way to pass Verstappen at the start with both Mclarens with a little bit of luck like Verstappen botching his start a little we might stand a chance considering there aren't many places to pass and Mclaren has a good top speed. Perhaps use one driver as a shield and the other to start making distance.
I'm more worried about Checo than Max, tbh. He starts on the clean side of the grid so if he passes Leclerc at the start he'll be on our case straight away on a much faster car.

browney
browney

Mostlyeels wrote:
23 Sep 2023, 22:14
Not Suzuka-related, but an interview with Lando with more general comments on how he feels the current reg cars drive.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/ ... rive-at-95
Can we put him on the FIA single seater commission..... he seems to understand and communicate this well.

PikeStance

The key will be getting a good first lap. If we can get a similar start we had in Silverstone, then we will finish well. I am not expecting Ferrari to be a challenge or Mercedes, especially if we get off the line quickly. if our race pace has improved then this is a possibility. But this looks like a two-stopper and our race day strategy has been suspect, so that could be our undoing.
<-Pike----
Expat American in Guangzhou
Native New Orleans