2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
MrGapes

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Sadly had a busy weekend so missed the race :(

But looked like everyone enjoyed it… I had a quick look through the race and WTF happened during the VSC with Lando and Perez

mwillems

Dafnalina wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 09:42
mwillems wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 09:18
the EDGE wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 08:42
Now let's see if people still doubt Lando is world class.

A great job from Oscar, but he still has a little bit left to learn on a Sunday. The same as Lando did in his rookie year where he out-qualified Sainz but was a little behind in pace come race day
Who was doubting his class?
I don't think it was anyone here, but on social media they give him a lot of flack whenever Oscar outqualifies him and suddenly start underrating him and therefore underrating Oscar, too. Sometimes it seems like Lando is the only driver not allowed to be slower than his teammate during quali.I don't remember people slandering Sainz back when he was being outqualified by rookie Lando.

Anyway, so happy for them both, especially for Oscar. 1st podium as a rookie, in one of the most technical circuits where he had never raced before. I'm pretty sure he's the first rookie to get a podium here. Amazing. He got DOTD too, deserved.
Oh OK. I know from my point of view Oscars success wasn't Lando's detriment. But if Lando is to be called world class and elite than this is the yardstick by which to measure Oscars progress which has been tremendous. Although this was not his best race.

I like Lando's calm confidence even when outqualified. What will be good is that the drivers begin to push each other, and I think this is happening. This will benefit both, in terms of speed and with pressure.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

MrGapes wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 09:45

But looked like everyone enjoyed it… I had a quick look through the race and WTF happened during the VSC with Lando and Perez
We are getting used to finishing up the field though, you can see that in the reactions, as it has moved from excitement to mild disappointment that we didn't get Verstappen yet..

-Bandit

genarro
genarro

What a fantastic result for the team.. We are getting there guys.

Plus the speculation about a toyota works deal.. What better way to make a impresion than a double podium in Japan.

Great job guys.. Amazing

mwillems

I may have to buy a hat so I can eat it when we pass Aston Martin for 4th.

-Bandit

MrGapes

mwillems wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 09:46
MrGapes wrote:

We are getting used to finishing up the field though, you can see that in the reactions, as it has moved from excitement to mild disappointment that we didn't get Verstappen yet..
I’m afraid for the day when we are back to q1 exits and no points :lol:

Hopefully not

BMMR61

mwillems wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 09:48
I may have to buy a hat so I can eat it when we pass Aston Martin for 4th.
Yep, get a nice chewy leather one - that's 29 points gained, now at -49. Game on!
Sadly we can drop that old notion of top 3 now that Ferrari have got their act together.

organic

MrGapes wrote:

Basically Perez had suspension damage and couldn't turn left. Lando tried to overtake Perez, which you're allowed to do under VSC if the car has obviously got significant damage, around the outside on Perez's right hand side at spoon (?). Perez not being able to turn left meant he ended up running Norris off the track. Cost Norris about 3s total

BMMR61

MrGapes wrote:

Perez had a shocker - FW damage lap one was just the beginning, then he was dawdling under the VSC when Lando came upon him and impeded him quite badly. I thought it would have been under investigation but Checo already had the penalties piling up. If we hadn't been having such a primo day I'd have thought a protest would have been in order.

EDIT - Thanks for the clarification about Perez damage.

MrGapes

ahh thanks... looked at the highlights, feel sorry for all the drivers races he ended.

Looking at this.. the 3 tenth gap isn't too bad considering...the time loss caused by Perez and having to overtake cars due to the time he lost.

proteus

It is interesting to consider that this is the most successfull season of Mclaren since 2012 in terms of podium finishes in a season, even though they were nowhere near points at the start. Makes me really happy :)
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

mwillems

MrGapes wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 10:48
ahh thanks... looked at the highlights, feel sorry for all the drivers races he ended.

Looking at this.. the 3 tenth gap isn't too bad considering...the time loss caused by Perez and having to overtake cars due to the time he lost.
Like i said, Ferrari doesn't own all of the crazy strategists! Yet.

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

genarro wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 09:47
What a fantastic result for the team.. We are getting there guys.

Plus the speculation about a toyota works deal.. What better way to make a impresion than a double podium in Japan.

Great job guys.. Amazing
I am not too keen on a new engine partner. It didn't help the team when they moved to Honda, there is no guarantee it would help to move to Toyota.

Especially if you look at how McLaren is beating Mercedes in recent races. You can be ahead of works team, especially in this cost cap era the value of being a works team is diminished, you can no longer pump insane amounts of money into development.

mwillems

proteus wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 10:59
It is interesting to consider that this is the most successfull season of Mclaren since 2012 in terms of podium finishes in a season, even though they were nowhere near points at the start. Makes me really happy :)
Still a big gap to RB though. Has that shrunk much since the Austria update?

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Fun fact - McLaren won more points in this race (33) than in first 9 races combined (29).