2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
KimiRai
KimiRai

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

Lobato says no changes for Qatar but developments are expected to arrive before the season ends. Similar statement to what Krack and Fernando have already said.

If anyone has a way to rewatch the Sky Sports coverage after the race, please rewatch after the Alonso interview happened. Apparently one person says around that time it was said that an upgrade package would be in Mexico but he forgot to clip it.

Bisonas

My opinion on the matter is that..

1st, People are giving too much weight on how a drivers input can affect cars development nowadays. We are not living on the 80s, 90s or even 00s guys, when drivers input was playing a much bigger role on development. Technology on tools like Wind tunnels, CFD, Simulators, etc is so evolved that they pretty much know what they are doing, especially regarding aero efficiency and downforce without much driver input. I am not saying that drivers input isn't important or it doesn't matter, i am just saying it doesn't affect development like the old days, and now IMO it has more to do solely with setup directions, setup adjustments, and overall balance issues.

2nd, we can't keep sugarcoating what's happening. The car has definitely lost performance compared to how it started the season. I am not going to debate if it in did lost performance, or just didn't improved at all, while others made leaps in performance. It doesn't matter. The result is the same and we can't sugarcoat it. AMR is now probably the 5th fastest team. Circuit characteristics can put it 4th some times, but overall IMO performance wise they are 5th at the moment.

You can blame the Tires, the TDs, or aero updates that just didn't work if you like. It doesn't change the result. Probably is a combination of all those things at some extend and i am sure they (the team) know exactly what is to blame the most.
But blaming Alonso and his ability to lead (or not) the development of the car is kind of of ridiculous if you ask me.

dialtone
dialtone

diffuser wrote:
dialtone wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 05:35
peewon wrote: Ride height is a very fundamental parameter for a car concept, much more so than the degree to which a front wing flexes. Even then F1-75 was never as bad or lost as much ground to virtually every other team as AM has.

I think the poor handling has a lot has to do with their upgrades to make the car less draggy. Front wing alone cannot account for that much deficit in my opinion.
Updated TD39 was about ride height. TD18 is flexi-wings. They had both as a double whammy.
TD39 was not really about ride height. It was a way to measure porpoising and force teams to increase ride hight if there was too much, to protect drivers.

It was made irrelevant by the 2023 rule change that increased the minimum floor height by 15mm.
So it was fixed by ride height. I had awkward phrasing but the ultimate result is that to avoid breaking td39 you increase ride height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diffuser

dialtone wrote:
25 Sep 2023, 00:16
diffuser wrote:
dialtone wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 05:35

Updated TD39 was about ride height. TD18 is flexi-wings. They had both as a double whammy.
TD39 was not really about ride height. It was a way to measure porpoising and force teams to increase ride hight if there was too much, to protect drivers.

It was made irrelevant by the 2023 rule change that increased the minimum floor height by 15mm.
So it was fixed by ride height. I had awkward phrasing but the ultimate result is that to avoid breaking td39 you increase ride height.

Yes but I prefer the term "irrelevant".

diffuser

KimiRai wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 11:29
4 places gained at the start, if the car had more pace he could have finished p4. But just like Spa 2017 where after a great start he was passed by everyone behind him because at that time the Honda engine was underpowered. You can only do so much with what you are given, great race anyways.

AR3-GP wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 05:37
Alonso qualified 1.6 seconds off pole. The performance loss of this car is mind blowing. It only points to a complete destruction of their concept by a regulations tweak unless you believe that they are so incompetent that their upgrades made them slower.
People will blame them regardless because they don't know any better but to be honest it happens to everyone (happened to McLaren at the start) so it's expected.
Yep, sucks he didn't have the top speed to get past Ocon.

dialtone
dialtone

diffuser wrote:
dialtone wrote:
diffuser wrote: TD39 was not really about ride height. It was a way to measure porpoising and force teams to increase ride hight if there was too much, to protect drivers.

I’m not sure you are using that word with the right meaning.

noshbloke

Bisonas wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 23:50
My opinion on the matter is that..

1st, People are giving too much weight on how a drivers input can affect cars development nowadays. We are not living on the 80s, 90s or even 00s guys, when drivers input was playing a much bigger role on development. Technology on tools like Wind tunnels, CFD, Simulators, etc is so evolved that they pretty much know what they are doing, especially regarding aero efficiency and downforce without much driver input. I am not saying that drivers input isn't important or it doesn't matter, i am just saying it doesn't affect development like the old days, and now IMO it has more to do solely with setup directions, setup adjustments, and overall balance issues.

2nd, we can't keep sugarcoating what's happening. The car has definitely lost performance compared to how it started the season. I am not going to debate if it in did lost performance, or just didn't improved at all, while others made leaps in performance. It doesn't matter. The result is the same and we can't sugarcoat it. AMR is now probably the 5th fastest team. Circuit characteristics can put it 4th some times, but overall IMO performance wise they are 5th at the moment.

You can blame the Tires, the TDs, or aero updates that just didn't work if you like. It doesn't change the result. Probably is a combination of all those things at some extend and i am sure they (the team) know exactly what is to blame the most.
But blaming Alonso and his ability to lead (or not) the development of the car is kind of of ridiculous if you ask me.
My thoughts exactly, well said mate

diffuser

dialtone wrote:
25 Sep 2023, 02:46
diffuser wrote:
dialtone wrote:

I’m not sure you are using that word with the right meaning.
You don't need a sensor to measure porpoising if the ride height has been increased so that they can nolonger porpoise to that extent any more.

organic

https://formu1a.uno/ferrari-la-sf-23-e- ... -mercedes/

Apparently new parts before end of year
Aston Martin is in free fall despite Alonso's clear and dark words

What McLaren is doing, Aston did at the beginning of the year, however the green car is no longer the same. The technicians talk about wrong direction and corrections to be made with new parts by the end of the season. Development is therefore not finished, but performance is in sharp decline. In Miami the AMR23 with a new rear wing had eliminated the efficiency gap from Red Bull, something that today seems surreal to think about.
“It's difficult in traffic, we lack speed on the straight, when we open the DRS the car in front still runs away from us” said Fernando Alonso after the race, adding that the team is working in the factory “at full capacity to bring some new parts before at the end of the year" .
A Japanese race that the Spaniard defined as good despite a speed no longer worthy of a podium when there are too many compromises to be made between curves and high speed. In the last few races you don't know what to expect from the green car, the last podium was in Holland and Qatar isn't that different if we think about the load to use. In the meantime, however, the TD018 directive on flexibility has come into force, it is not a verdict but the data says that in Suzuka, after Singapore, the worst cars on the straight - among the top teams - were Aston and Mercedes .

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

AMR recruited well in recent times, at least on paper, so you've got to believe they'll turn this around. To be honest, I think their 2nd driver is a bigger problem than car performance, 3rd or 4th place could have been a formality by now if Lance was putting the car in similar positions to Fernando. Granted, he had the unfortunate incident prior to pre season, but he's a Veteran racer in F1. Even if the fix all the issues with the car, as long as Lance is there, they'll never maximise.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Ground Effect wrote:
25 Sep 2023, 10:52
AMR recruited well in recent times, at least on paper, so you've got to believe they'll turn this around. To be honest, I think their 2nd driver is a bigger problem than car performance, 3rd or 4th place could have been a formality by now if Lance was putting the car in similar positions to Fernando. Granted, he had the unfortunate incident prior to pre season, but he's a Veteran racer in F1. Even if the fix all the issues with the car, as long as Lance is there, they'll never maximise.
Agreed Lance has missed many points but some criticize him while avoiding the real issue which is the loss of car performance. It would make sense that when the car loses balance and competitiveness then driver differences between the two would become more apparent.

diffuser

KimiRai wrote:
25 Sep 2023, 11:23
Ground Effect wrote:
25 Sep 2023, 10:52
Agreed Lance has missed many points but some criticize him while avoiding the real issue which is the loss of car performance. It would make sense that when the car loses balance and competitiveness then driver differences between the two would become more apparent.
The Lance thing isn't worth talking about. It's just so obvious and easily fix if he wants it but he has to want it. He needs to want to give up on his dream.

They're pretty tight lipped about why the parts are late. When I compare this year to the last year Alonso spent with Alpine, Alpine brought big upgrades several times. By big I mean upgrades that significantly changed the car visually. I believe, just the Canada upgrade barely made it into the "big" category for Aston this year. Most of their upgrades have fallen into the track specific categories. I don't know if the lack of upgrades are a Result of the new front wing TD, going in the wrong direction or even some to do with the move(time preparing for the move, issues with equipment after the move, etc). I just hope they fix it. Any sigh that they've fixed all of the above before the end of the year would be nice.

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

They had to change not just the front wing,but also the front wing concept. This made them at least 0.5 sec slower,but the biggest problem that made the car unbalanced so they amazing tyre handle and stable rear are gone. You can't just change the front wing concept without modification the floor or side box,but they was force to do it by FIA. They made a lot of updates,upgrades just all was illegal some reason (maybe to flexi) . So they had to drop everything in the trash, that's why they couldn't bring the promises updates. Is nothing to do with the wrong direction. Before the FIA attack and the new TD they asked alonso if he can beat Perez and be on the Podium in the next races, he said "YES" without thinking. Trust me Alonso not that guy,who talking in the air . He probably seen the car potential, the data,the upgrades,then the rest we know....

diffuser

https://formula1news.co.uk/fernando-alo ... on-martin/

Aston Martin driver Fernando Alonso has dismissed any notion of frustration with the team’s performance as they faced a challenging phase in the 2023 season.

Aston Martin, which had initially shown promise as Red Bull’s main contender, witnessed a dip in their performance as more established teams made significant strides in car development.

Singapore proved to be a particularly tough weekend for Aston Martin, but Alonso arrived in Japan with renewed confidence after discovering that his car had suffered suspension damage.

The Spanish driver shifted the focus from temporary setbacks to the bigger challenge of enhancing the team’s in-season development capabilities.

“At the beginning of the year, we had a fast car,” Alonso, 42, commented. “But we always said that it would be difficult to keep up with our main opponents during the year because these are large organisations and top teams. So it was to be expected that Ferrari and Mercedes would catch up and overtake us. And now McLaren is also very strong. We have to accept that we have to make improvements in the way we develop.”

Despite the hurdles, Alonso emphasised his unwavering commitment to the project and the team’s overall optimism. “I’m not frustrated at all,” he stated confidently. “I’m very happy with the project, and even in the difficult races like Singapore or Monza, all of our meetings are very productive.”

Alonso praised the team’s motivation and determination to establish themselves as a leading force in Formula 1.

“The team’s motivation to become a leading team, the resources, and the determination are extraordinary, so I am very happy,” Alonso insisted. “But we have to accept that everyone here has a very high level.”

Acknowledging the challenges that come with being a relatively new team in the sport, Alonso expressed hope for faster development in the upcoming season.

“Our pace of development has to be a little faster next year, but this is a very new team. It’s a new situation for us. It’s not that we accept it and we are ok with it. We just know that it’s a season of learning.”

Alonso also commended the team’s innovative approach to problem-solving, highlighting the wealth of ideas and solutions being considered.

“Honestly, I’ve never seen this kind of scale in terms of ideas and solutions on the table. The motivation the team has to become a top team is just exceptional. I’m very happy.”

NAPI10
NAPI10

diffuser wrote:
25 Sep 2023, 14:43
https://formula1news.co.uk/fernando-alo ... on-martin/

Aston Martin driver Fernando Alonso has dismissed any notion of frustration with the team’s performance as they faced a challenging phase in the 2023 season.

Aston Martin, which had initially shown promise as Red Bull’s main contender, witnessed a dip in their performance as more established teams made significant strides in car development.

Singapore proved to be a particularly tough weekend for Aston Martin, but Alonso arrived in Japan with renewed confidence after discovering that his car had suffered suspension damage.

The Spanish driver shifted the focus from temporary setbacks to the bigger challenge of enhancing the team’s in-season development capabilities.

“At the beginning of the year, we had a fast car,” Alonso, 42, commented. “But we always said that it would be difficult to keep up with our main opponents during the year because these are large organisations and top teams. So it was to be expected that Ferrari and Mercedes would catch up and overtake us. And now McLaren is also very strong. We have to accept that we have to make improvements in the way we develop.”

Despite the hurdles, Alonso emphasised his unwavering commitment to the project and the team’s overall optimism. “I’m not frustrated at all,” he stated confidently. “I’m very happy with the project, and even in the difficult races like Singapore or Monza, all of our meetings are very productive.”

Alonso praised the team’s motivation and determination to establish themselves as a leading force in Formula 1.

“The team’s motivation to become a leading team, the resources, and the determination are extraordinary, so I am very happy,” Alonso insisted. “But we have to accept that everyone here has a very high level.”

Acknowledging the challenges that come with being a relatively new team in the sport, Alonso expressed hope for faster development in the upcoming season.

“Our pace of development has to be a little faster next year, but this is a very new team. It’s a new situation for us. It’s not that we accept it and we are ok with it. We just know that it’s a season of learning.”

Alonso also commended the team’s innovative approach to problem-solving, highlighting the wealth of ideas and solutions being considered.

“Honestly, I’ve never seen this kind of scale in terms of ideas and solutions on the table. The motivation the team has to become a top team is just exceptional. I’m very happy.”
I like all this positivity but the reality is ,season is over for AM as a top team. They are back to hometurf as a mid-field team. I am fine with it since team has given some glorious moment at the beginning of the season to cherish.
My only expectation from remainder of the season is for team (Krack or Fallows) to clearly state that ,they have a good understanding of issues with this car & they are able to address those in 24 car. Anything less then that or just beating around the bush means they have no clue yet & 24 season going to be mediocre in mid-field.