2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
NAPI10
NAPI10

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

I am really happy for 'Jessica' but was it 'pre-planned' or just a tactic to lure sponsors/shareholders away from current slump in form.
As I said earlier, unless Dan or Krack clearly state that they have address all issues of this season with 24 car ; I won't believe in any kind of rumor/news/propaganda about next season.

KimiRai
KimiRai

It's the same old seeing the glass half full or half empty, some are more optimistic by nature , others are more pessimistic. Both types are necessary.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

issey wrote:
27 Sep 2023, 13:45
Really good and detailed article on why 2024 can be a good year and why aston martin is probably struggling right now
It's telling when the car will reportedly be "from scratch" for the next year...At least they are not sugarcoating the situation and losing another year like Ferrari/Merc did.

KimiRai
KimiRai

organic wrote:
27 Sep 2023, 15:41
Some excerpts from AMuS article with quotes from Tom Mccullough and Krack.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... apan-2023/
When asked why things were going so badly at Suzuka, the engineers didn't have a satisfactory answer. It was already clear beforehand that there would be problems in the fast corners.
But we also lost time in the slow corners. We still have to understand that,” revealed chief engineer Tom McCullough. To keep the tires alive, the Astons were fitted with larger rear wings. That brought a little more downforce, but cost top speed on the straights.
Krack also tries not to sugarcoat the situation: "Our upgrades didn't achieve as much as we had hoped. Of course, we always question whether the methods and development direction were correct. Then you have to make the necessary changes for the future ."
In contrast to most competitors, Aston Martin wants to make even bigger upgrades in the next races. They are intended to help correct weaknesses in fast passages. And they should show the engineers whether they are working in the right direction for 2024.
"We understood where our strengths and weaknesses are. Eliminating the problems is the difficult part," grins McCullough, somewhat pained.
Good article, thanks for sharing. Hopefully these updates do work.

diffuser

What upgrades?

majki2111

A Alonso fan since 2006, following him here in Aston Martin is acually delight for me. It might be pure hunch, but I have more belief in this Aston team than McLaren or Alpine or Ferrari. It ignited old emotions after 10 years of watching F1. I This team will bounce back.

Alonso Fan

SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

issey
issey

Look at the front wing changes in Spain definitely the FIA requirement…and they made 2 complete floor changes

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

3 points since Silverstone is a remarkable statistic for a driver.

peewon

KimiRai wrote:
27 Sep 2023, 16:00
It's the same old seeing the glass half full or half empty, some are more optimistic by nature , others are more pessimistic. Both types are necessary.
I say this as an Alonso fan who has been waiting for him to get a competitive car forever, but, you have to look at things objectively. Let look at the various reasons or excuses (whichever you prefer) for drop in performance...
  • Started from it being track specific performance drop.
  • Weather and sprint races not allowing proper calibration of upgrades
  • Then onto tyre changes.
  • then some admittance that the ugrades might not have worked as intended.
  • then the ban on flexi wings.
  • Now its the fact that the car concept was not from scratch and they will fi it next year
Good teams do not do this. Mclaren and Merc knew immediately where they went wrong and how long it would take for them to fix it.

Then I read this part from an article that you posted...
Many were quite surprised when, after one of Lance Stroll's crashes, the floor of his car was exposed, and it was clear that it was very simple, and very poorly worked compared to Red Bull's, which looks like a maze. More than half of the downforce on today's cars comes from that area, and simplicity often doesn't get them very far. So where did this car's initial efficiency come from?

It all points to the front end and its dynamics

Link t the article from which its taken: https://www.motor.es/formula-1/por-que- ... 97575.html

And therein lies the problem. This regulation is mainly about the floor as a primary driver of performance. This is why AM was not efficient in high speeds at any point in time. Their floor is simply too basic. They masked that by some clever tricks with the flexi front wing and general front end dynamics. Again, probably some tricks that RB had been playing with in previous seasons under the older regulations. Once that got taken away, they have shown zero ability to find any significant improvement anywhere else.

There is no reason for their floor to be so underdeveloped all throughout the season. Other teams have redesigned concepts mid season. They seem to be making excuses all year, possibly directing them towards Stroll who is known to be demanding. And this is why I put myself in the pessimistic category although I hope Im wrong..

diffuser

I don't think they are making excuses. By their own expectation, their development has been slow. It's something they're trying to fix.

organic

https://www.astonmartinf1.com/en-GB/new ... a-furbatto
Luca Furbatto Engineering Director of Aston Martin

"The new wind tunnel will be ready in the second half of next year. All in all, it'll be a game-changer."

KimiRai
KimiRai

peewon wrote:
29 Sep 2023, 08:35
KimiRai wrote:
27 Sep 2023, 16:00
I say this as an Alonso fan who has been waiting for him to get a competitive car forever, but, you have to look at things objectively. Let look at the various reasons or excuses (whichever you prefer) for drop in performance...
  • Started from it being track specific performance drop.
  • Weather and sprint races not allowing proper calibration of upgrades
  • Then onto tyre changes.
  • then some admittance that the ugrades might not have worked as intended.
  • then the ban on flexi wings.
  • Now its the fact that the car concept was not from scratch and they will fi it next year
Good teams do not do this. Mclaren and Merc knew immediately where they went wrong and how long it would take for them to fix it.

Then I read this part from an article that you posted...
Many were quite surprised when, after one of Lance Stroll's crashes, the floor of his car was exposed, and it was clear that it was very simple, and very poorly worked compared to Red Bull's, which looks like a maze. More than half of the downforce on today's cars comes from that area, and simplicity often doesn't get them very far. So where did this car's initial efficiency come from?

It all points to the front end and its dynamics

Link t the article from which its taken: https://www.motor.es/formula-1/por-que- ... 97575.html

And therein lies the problem. This regulation is mainly about the floor as a primary driver of performance. This is why AM was not efficient in high speeds at any point in time. Their floor is simply too basic. They masked that by some clever tricks with the flexi front wing and general front end dynamics. Again, probably some tricks that RB had been playing with in previous seasons under the older regulations. Once that got taken away, they have shown zero ability to find any significant improvement anywhere else.

There is no reason for their floor to be so underdeveloped all throughout the season. Other teams have redesigned concepts mid season. They seem to be making excuses all year, possibly directing them towards Stroll who is known to be demanding. And this is why I put myself in the pessimistic category although I hope Im wrong..
You're right. Not much else to say really. I'm just trying to lift the spirits up when morale is low, but you are correct we shouldn't be making excuses.

Regarding the wind tunnel September 2024 was mentioned in a video once.

organic

They've shown they can make the large leap between seasons before. I guess they need to do it again and hit the drawing board when it comes to the floor design. Somehow they run this seemingly very flat floor without running into porpoising issues so maybe it's not as basic as it looks from the photos we have (hopium?)

KimiRai
KimiRai

We are all pretty much commenting on something over which we have no influence. Perhaps the only exception being the emotional or mental condition of the fans which through social media & other interactions eventually could creep and infect the team, either positively or negatively. Ferrari fans are often on the second end of the spectrum for example. Which is why I think best we can do is support them specially through the bad moments.

But you are definitely right that it also can't get to the point of making up excuses. In any case we can only wait and hope it goes well.