2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
dans79

Re: 2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

makecry wrote:
01 Oct 2023, 22:36
PlatinumZealot wrote:
29 Sep 2023, 04:53
Mercedes just need to be within two tenths and thw drivers will do the rest.
Nope. If Mercedes lack 2/10ths on max’s car, Lewis ain’t doing anything.
Maybe you should read what max himself said several years ago.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/8643/ver ... enths.html
Verstappen says Red Bull must be close to the front in qualifying, telling the media: "Once you are within three or four tenths in qualifying, at least you can fight them in the race because normally in the race it should be a bit closer.

"We are definitely targeting to be within those three tenths."
201 105 104 9 9 7

CHT
CHT

dans79 wrote:
01 Oct 2023, 23:45
makecry wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Verstappen says Red Bull must be close to the front in qualifying, telling the media: "Once you are within three or four tenths in qualifying, at least you can fight them in the race because normally in the race it should be a bit closer.

Winning odd races with a slower car is possible, but winning the championship over the course of 20+ races is difficult. To win a championship in modern F1 with over 20 races, drivers need a car that is on the pole most of the time. And that includes LH 7 WDCs season. In the 2018 season, LH was on the pole 11 times out of the 21 races and Max finished 4th in the driver championship or around 150 points behind despite 2 wins

TimW
TimW

dans79 wrote:
01 Oct 2023, 23:45
makecry wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

That article is from 2018, still in the party mode era. Mercedes had the biggest gain for qualification modes of any engine manufacturer. The situation is different now.

chrisc90

Cars qualify within the thousandths these days and the race pace is just something completely different.

Wouter

Nice long interview with Lewis (in German).

https://www.blick.ch/sport/formel1/der- ... 92862.html
The Power of Dreams!

ringo

So title #8 is not the end of his career.
That title will be his most dificult. George will be a Bottas in terms of racing Lewis harder than the rival team. Aa much as I would like to see him win his 8th officially, it's going to be very tough as an over 40 year old.
The oldest champion was Fangio at 46 if I am not mistaken and those were different times.
He makes a good point about children. I do not think any family man can win another champioship in F1. The level of dedication by and for these modern teams and cars is unreal.
For Sure!!

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

ringo wrote:
02 Oct 2023, 14:07
That title will be his most dificult. George will be a Bottas in terms of racing Lewis harder than the rival team. Aa much as I would like to see him win his 8th officially, it's going to be very tough as an over 40 year old.
The oldest champion was Fangio at 46 if I am not mistaken and those were different times.
He makes a good point about children. I do not think any family man can win another champioship in F1. The level of dedication by and for these modern teams and cars is unreal.
Title number 8 looks less and less likely with george on the team and if the car is equal or slightly slower tgan rbr. Max does not have to worry about an intra team fight and he will surely benefit from merc infighting. Thats why imo they definitely need a faster car so lewis can concentrate on beating george only. For those who think merc will ask george to step aside well they wont. Unless he is mathematically too far behind in the championship they will let them race. Example: Merc actually asked lewis to move aside for bottas in austria 21’. He lost that position and also lost out to norris. Lost 6 points because of that. That is just how Merc operates. Bonkers sometimes.

Vaexa
Vaexa

Hammerfist wrote:
02 Oct 2023, 22:12
ringo wrote:
Title number 8 looks less and less likely with george on the team and if the car is equal or slightly slower tgan rbr. Max does not have to worry about an intra team fight and he will surely benefit from merc infighting. Thats why imo they definitely need a faster car so lewis can concentrate on beating george only. For those who think merc will ask george to step aside well they wont. Unless he is mathematically too far behind in the championship they will let them race. Example: Merc actually asked lewis to move aside for bottas in austria 21’. He lost that position and also lost out to norris. Lost 6 points because of that. That is just how Merc operates. Bonkers sometimes.
Hamilton had undertray damage from running over the turn 9/10 kerbs that race which is why he was asked to move aside for Bottas, who had no such damage. This is also why he took an extra pit stop, to alleviate the resulting rear tyre degradation.

Kingshark
Kingshark

I do not see Mercedes building a better car than Red Bull until the end of 2025, with these engines frozen and RBR having total mastery of the aerodynamics regulations. The earliest he can win title #8 will be in 2026, at that stage he will be 41 and George will be 28. It will be difficult to imagine how they will stack up against each other on raw pace then.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Vaexa wrote:
02 Oct 2023, 23:24
Hammerfist wrote:
ringo wrote:
Hamilton had undertray damage from running over the turn 9/10 kerbs that race which is why he was asked to move aside for Bottas, who had no such damage. This is also why he took an extra pit stop, to alleviate the resulting rear tyre degradation.
i know, but when it's obvioius that it was a two dog fight in that championship i would not have asked him to let Bottas through. If bottas got through on his own then so be it. Points were lost when they didn't have to be.

ThijsMuis
ThijsMuis

The change of concept regarding the lateral structures of the single-seater has already been partially introduced this season, with the new sides already oriented towards the Red Bull philosophy, but, obviously, it was not possible to carry out a redesign and modification of the components of the Power Unit for the current season. The 2024 car, however, will be born directly with the new philosophy , both as regards the bottom and the upper part of the car, and the space limitations will become decidedly less stringent , with the possibility of a " re-packaging” of the drive unit which will then give much more comfort to the internal components, gaining in reliability (and therefore in percentage of use) and, above all, obviously, in pure power . We spoke with an engineer from the team who confirmed all this, stating that the aggregate that Mercedes currently uses was designed for the zero pods concept , with decidedly small dimensions and a cooling system that is inevitably reduced to a minimum.
https://www.formulapassion.it/opinioni/ ... nza-motore

organic

Italian media and their stories about power units.. not sure I can remember a more unreliable duo

RonMexico
RonMexico

Hammerfist wrote:
ringo wrote:
Mercedes would need to build a car 3 tenths faster than RB to beat them in the championship. Too many errors from the team and drivers compared to RB

ThijsMuis
ThijsMuis

organic wrote:
03 Oct 2023, 12:11
Italian media and their stories about power units.. not sure I can remember a more unreliable duo
When it's translated in dutch it makes a bit more sense regarding the chassis and the compromise.
Maybe the English translations need work

dans79

DGP123 wrote:
03 Oct 2023, 13:59
I would also argue that RB’s level would significantly come down, under the pressure of actual competition.
Yep, the rules of racing have changed some, so some of the stuff that was allowed, wouldn't be now.
201 105 104 9 9 7