2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This track grip is terrible! Btw, does anyone know how old Lando's engine is? I remember him saying in Suzuka he was losing time to others on the straights and I do hope that won't compromise his performance this weekend. I still think we should've taken the penalty at Monza.

MrGapes

hard to tell anything from that session... Lando didn't get a medium run in because he got blocked twice, Oscars lap wasn't the cleanest.

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

MrGapes wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 16:37
hard to tell anything from that session... Lando didn't get a medium run in because he got blocked twice, Oscars lap wasn't the cleanest.
Pace looked good on the hards, but like you said, very strange session. Still I would be lying if I say Im not optimistic for qualifying, unless we get something massively wrong on the setup we should be mega round here.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

MCLvamos wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 17:13
MrGapes wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 16:37
Pace looked good on the hards, but like you said, very strange session. Still I would be lying if I say Im not optimistic for qualifying, unless we get something massively wrong on the setup we should be mega round here.
And I didn't see anything bad or scary. Everything seemed to go smoothly. The car goes well on hard tires, which means that there is a grip with the track. On medium and soft tires times was not shown. So they could have added to the classification if they finished their fast laps evenly. Qualifying is in an hour and a half, we'll see. But I'm optimistic for now.

Macklaren
Macklaren

They also bailed on 2 laps that would have put them p1 on very old hard vs other's mediums. That they chose to save tires is a sign that they are very confident as well

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I think they had plenty of pace. On Mediums you saw that they either aborted the lap (Piastri pitted on a lap that would have improved him) or they were blocked/had a mistake.

On hards they were fastest.

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Murmurs that Lando's engine is costing him a bit of time on Twitter and the like, hope this track isn't too power dependent.

organic

MCLvamos wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 17:53
Murmurs that Lando's engine is costing him a bit of time on Twitter and the like, hope this track isn't too power dependent.
Big wings and long straight so it could. Not very start/stop though which will help

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Norris did a lap 0.4s faster than Leclerc - deleted due to track limits.

Track evolution seems to be huge.

Darth-Piekus

He was also faster in his last lap but had to abort. I wonder why. He has to do a flawless lap when he comes out again. He mustn't have another time deletion.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Darth-Piekus wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 19:10
He was also faster in his last lap but had to abort. I wonder why. He has to do a flawless lap when he comes out again. He mustn't have another time deletion.
Team stream says they thought he went wide so they told him to abort in order to save time.

Darth-Piekus

Lando Norris came out on that first set of soft tyres. He better deliver a good and careful lap so he can pass on Q2. Also I hope these soft tyres still have time to give.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 15:23
mwillems wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 13:11
djos wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 12:18

Good point, I’d forgotten about the engine change. Still, it isn’t the first time he’s been quicker than Lando in a qually session.

The raw speed is definitely there - Lando is however the more complete driver. But not too surprising given that Oscar is a rookie.
I think in terms of the tyres, it just takes a little time and experience, everything else is where it needs to be though which is immense really.

Nope, it has been fairly even in Qualifying over the last 6 or 7 races and on that front you can't really put anything between them.

Edit: Adding this article, in which Stella suggests the delta between the two drivers was because of Lando's favourable pit strategy and not necessarily because of Piastris tyre wear, but I do think that is part of it.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... /10527745/

Stella thinks that the pace difference between Norris and Piastri in the Japanese GP, at the stage of the race when the team had to intervene, was exaggerated by the excessive tyre degradation.

"In a race like this, every lap of tyre that you save, so if you pit one lap later than somebody else, you gain one tenth," added Stella.

"Lando at that stage pitted six laps later, so his car is automatically six tenths quicker than the other car."
Well, it's hard to put it down to tires. Lando was consistently faster than Oscar at all times. And the average pace per lap in the difference was 6-7 tenths during the entire race. So Stella is not telling us something. Once Oscar gains experience, he will go consistently faster and will be much closer to Lando.
No, and Stella goes on to say that Lando's advantage was between 1-2 tenths, but exaggerated by the tyres.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

It looks like the Kerbs are fine, the car wasn't slow in FP1 and all the doom mongering was a little bit premature..
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Didn't have to play with us like that Lando! Q1 should be stress free for us now come on!! :D :D :D