2023 Qatar Grand Prix - Lusail, Oct 06 - 08

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
organic

Re: 2023 Qatar Grand Prix - Lusail, Oct 06 - 08

dialtone wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 21:08
AR3-GP wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 21:00
organic wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 20:51

I think Sainz was on an in-lap and Max was on out-lap. So track position didn't matter for Sainz and yet he fought erratically. Weird one
If Sainz was on an in-lap...that deserves a penalty.
SAI was on an outlap. Came out together with LEC, when VER passed SAI, SAI was radioed: "all clear from behind, all clear from behind, push next lap".

There's no penalty here, just misrepresentation from RBR folks because Max has to be granted everything.
Thanks for the clarity. I thought sainz was on an inlap as he and Leclerc were offset from the others

But he didn't improve with his first push so I guess he needed to do another one.

dialtone
dialtone

organic wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 21:23
dialtone wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

SAI was on an outlap. Came out together with LEC, when VER passed SAI, SAI was radioed: "all clear from behind, all clear from behind, push next lap".

There's no penalty here, just misrepresentation from RBR folks because Max has to be granted everything.
Thanks for the clarity. I thought sainz was on an inlap as he and Leclerc were offset from the others

But he didn't improve with his first push so I guess he needed to do another one.
SAI was nowhere today as Ferrari clearly had setup issues (I hope)... In all likelihood SAI was fighting for position because he knew he was likely out of q2 with the mistake and needed some perfect lap and wanted no traffic in front.

It is what it is, although that wasn't a penalty... Car was rough today.

organic

dialtone
dialtone

If you come out of the pits offset, or choose to do an extra cooldown lap before another attempt, there's no way to avoid breaching this rule in Q1 or Q2. Too much traffic. They should adopt a different metric IMHO. Every race there's going to be 1 or 2 people going out of time but what they care about is people going extremely slow in 1 mini sector to bunch up the group IMHO.
Last edited by dialtone on 06 Oct 2023, 21:38, edited 1 time in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

dialtone wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 21:26
organic wrote:
dialtone wrote:

SAI was nowhere today as Ferrari clearly had setup issues (I hope)... In all likelihood SAI was fighting for position because he knew he was likely out of q2 with the mistake and needed some perfect lap and wanted no traffic in front.

It is what it is, although that wasn't a penalty... Car was rough today.
Sainz would have disturbed his prep lap at best, by going argy bargy with Verstappen though. And it's not like Verstappen in an RB19 is going to be "traffic". More like *getting smaller in the distance*, lol...

Sieper

organic wrote:
dialtone wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

I had already posted several posts before this (see last page, I was the first to post that and another post after that had also already posted that Sainz had aborted his hotlap and was prepping for another go). There was no new information information here. It was an attempt to shift blame to Verstappen who simply got blocked, several times and harshly, while he was on his outlap, which he was doing at much higher speed. As he had been doing all Q. Sainz would have been much better off just letting Max continue. Now he risks a penalty and got some extra tire wear that he didn’t need.

dialtone
dialtone

AR3-GP wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 21:38
Sainz would have disturbed his prep lap at best, by going argy bargy with Verstappen though. And it's not like Verstappen in an RB19 is going to be "traffic". More like *getting smaller in the distance*, lol...
Yeah I don't know what was in his mind while he was doing that... Stress makes you do questionable stuff.

TFSA

dialtone wrote:SAI was on an outlap. Came out together with LEC, when VER passed SAI, SAI was radioed: "all clear from behind, all clear from behind, push next lap".

Disagree. You're ignoring one important factor here: Location.

Assuming they both were on an outlap, you can argue that what Sainz did was okay if he was just about to start his own pushlap, say - after turn 15.

However this happened at turn 9-12 (with Verstappen almost going off the track at turn 11), way before you'd start a pushlap. If he doesn't want to let Verstappen past on that part of the track, then he needs to match his speed - not defend.

I don't think it will be a grid drop, but i definitely think it will be a reprimand, unless he has a really good explanation.

(Note: a reprimand is technically also considered a penalty)

Last edited by TFSA on 06 Oct 2023, 21:46, edited 2 times in total.

organic

dialtone wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 21:38
If you come out of the pits offset, or choose to do an extra cooldown lap before another attempt, there's no way to avoid breaching this rule in Q1 or Q2. Too much traffic. They should adopt a different metric IMHO. Every race there's going to be 1 or 2 people going out of time but what they care about is people going extremely slow in 1 mini sector to bunch up the group IMHO.
100% agree

This new rule has created so much extra stewarding for them due to those on offset session plans acting as false positives..

Cs98
Cs98

dialtone wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
organic wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 20:51

I think Sainz was on an in-lap and Max was on out-lap. So track position didn't matter for Sainz and yet he fought erratically. Weird one

Outlap, inlap, it doesn't matter. It's the erratic blocking whilst on a slow lap which is being looked into. Likely a reprimand.

organic

Alpine quietly with very good opportunity on Sunday

TFSA

Cs98 wrote:Outlap, inlap, it doesn't matter. It's the erratic blocking whilst on a slow lap which is being looked into. Likely a reprimand.
Max should have gone "He's intimidating me!" on the radio, just for the lulz

search

Tyres left for tomorrow (in accordance with Pirelli's list, but with tyre age):

Unless they invent some rain again, new Mediums must be used in SQ1 and SQ2 tomorrow (one set each), and one set of Softs in SQ3, which is now allowed to be a used one.

Xyz22
Xyz22

organic wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 22:11
Alpine quietly with very good opportunity on Sunday

https://i.imgur.com/oZrjIOm.jpeg
The "simulator" put them last :D

Hopefull Juzh will upload quali laps from Q3. Would be great to see the differences with telemetry as well.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I'm surprised Fabrega does not put the simulator predictions through the sanity test. Alpine is never the worst car. They are far from the best, but they are not the worst car anywhere except maybe monza due to PU. Otherwise, they are almost always just behind the top 5 teams no matter the circuit.