2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ben1980
Ben1980

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

mwillems wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 21:44
Ben1980 wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 21:42
mwillems wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 21:36

You are right of course, in the context of this season. But when we start pushing hard at the front of the constructors championship and the drivers championship, these mistakes can be the difference. I think what some are suggesting is that Lando may make a few too many mistakes on Qualy laps and not be able to max his speed consistently like others can.

It doesn't make a difference this year, but from next year onwards it may well do.
Well yep, but it'd pretty clear that Lando has been pretty damn good at this qualifying lark over the recent years. The odd mixup, is pretty normal anyway. Nothing to worry about.
It's not a question of being good at Qualy, but when you're in a title fight and every point counts, the driver that doesn't make those mistakes gets the advantage. It becomes a question of being Consistently good at qualy.
Maybe, but luckily Lando has shown he doesn't make many mistake, and has qualified pretty preeeety well over the recent years.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 21:46
billamend wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 21:39
mwillems wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 21:36
I think what some are suggesting is that Lando may make a few too many mistakes on Qualy laps and not be able to max his speed consistently like others can.
A driver than in 5y has never been beaten in qualifying, makes “too many mistakes in Qualy”. Suuure…
Lando is just a bit beyond the capabilities of the car. No one has ever beaten him in qualifying in the last 5 years, and he's made quite a few mistakes in decisive attempts in qualifying in those 5 years. One doesn't prevent the other.
At least Lando is honest with himself and the team. He's been that way many times before. I am sure he will be able to get back in the race, the main thing is not to overdo it with aggressiveness.
Over a year? It isn't being disputed that he can do a better job overall and that he can put in a very fast lap, it's about getting the best lap every time and it is clear that it is something he needs to work on.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

Ben1980 wrote:
mwillems wrote:
Ben1980 wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 21:42

Well yep, but it'd pretty clear that Lando has been pretty damn good at this qualifying lark over the recent years. The odd mixup, is pretty normal anyway. Nothing to worry about.
It's not a question of being good at Qualy, but when you're in a title fight and every point counts, the driver that doesn't make those mistakes gets the advantage. It becomes a question of being Consistently good at qualy.
Maybe, but luckily Lando has shown he doesn't make many mistake, and has qualified pretty preeeety well over the recent years.
He's made many mistakes, just not big ones, but they have cost him positions. He's very honest about it himself, no point ignoring it and it is brave of him to be so honest. To get better he has to improve that fast lap consistency.

-Bandit

Ben1980
Ben1980

mwillems wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 21:48
LionsHeart wrote:
billamend wrote:

A driver than in 5y has never been beaten in qualifying, makes “too many mistakes in Qualy”. Suuure…
Lando is just a bit beyond the capabilities of the car. No one has ever beaten him in qualifying in the last 5 years, and he's made quite a few mistakes in decisive attempts in qualifying in those 5 years. One doesn't prevent the other.
At least Lando is honest with himself and the team. He's been that way many times before. I am sure he will be able to get back in the race, the main thing is not to overdo it with aggressiveness.
Over a year? It isn't being disputed that he can do a better job overall and that he can put in a very fast lap, it's about getting the best lap every time and it is clear that it is something he needs to work on.
It's clear that every driver needs to work on that..not many get the best every time, probably no one. He rarely makes mistakes, and has generally got more out of the car in comparison to team mates.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
LionsHeart wrote:
billamend wrote:

Yeah, I meant at the end of the season.

Ben1980
Ben1980

mwillems wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 21:49
Ben1980 wrote:
mwillems wrote:

He's made many mistakes, just not big ones, but they have cost him positions. He's very honest about it himself, no point ignoring it and it is brave of him to be so honest. To get better he has to improve that fast lap consistency.
I dare say he makes no more mistakes than every other driver. I would say he makes less mistakes than he actually says.

mwillems

Ben1980 wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 21:50
mwillems wrote:
LionsHeart wrote:

It's clear that every driver needs to work on that..not many get the best every time, probably no one. He rarely makes mistakes, and has generally got more out of the car in comparison to team mates.
Peak Hamilton, which was for many years including in the Mclaren, Max has done for some time, Alonso was always ridiculously precise in almost any car.

Several times this year there have been mistakes costing a few positions. And it is fine, but he needs to get better.

-Bandit

mwillems

Ben1980 wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 21:52
mwillems wrote:
Ben1980 wrote:

I dare say he makes no more mistakes than every other driver. I would say he makes less mistakes than he actually says.
Every other driver doesn't win a championship though, do they?

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

I've never liked tracks like this where the driver is so eager to get off the track. I always like and respect classic tracks with grass and gravel. It's a pity that there are not so many such tracks left in the calendar and every time the judges have to decide whether there was an out of bounds or not.

Ben1980
Ben1980

mwillems wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 21:53
Ben1980 wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Peak Hamilton, which was for many years including in the Mclaren, Max has done for some time, Alonso was always ridiculously precise in almost any car.

Several times this year there have been mistakes costing a few positions.
Several times? Don't believe that. I'll give today, I'm not sure on the others.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 21:55
I've never liked tracks like this where the driver is so eager to get off the track. I always like and respect classic tracks with grass and gravel. It's a pity that there are not so many such tracks left in the calendar and every time the judges have to decide whether there was an out of bounds or not.
Yeah I'd prefer that too.

It was tricky here though with the wind.

-Bandit

mwillems

Ben1980 wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 21:56
mwillems wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 21:53
Ben1980 wrote:

Several times this year there have been mistakes costing a few positions.
Several times? Don't believe that. I'll give today, I'm not sure on the others.
That's your prerogative, and perception. It's been discussed throughout the year by many and hasn't suddenly just appeared in this chat today. But sooner or later we won't have the luxury to choose when we think with a midfield teams mentality.
Last edited by mwillems on 06 Oct 2023, 21:59, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

Ben1980
Ben1980

mwillems wrote:
Ben1980 wrote:
mwillems wrote:

When drivers push they make errors. The tight battles are littered with errors, Max vs Lewis, Lewis Vs Nico, tight battles bring them out. When having it pretty comfy, like Max and many of Lewis titles, you can coast it and do it all pretty easy.

Those that have to push, will make the errors.

mwillems

Ben1980 wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 21:59
mwillems wrote:
Ben1980 wrote:

When drivers push they make errors. The tight battles are littered with errors, Max vs Lewis, Lewis Vs Nico, tight battles bring them out. When having it pretty comfy, like Max and many of Lewis titles, you can coast it and do it all pretty easy.

Those that have to push, will make the errors.
Every driver makes errors, but those drivers make far fewer and thrive under pressure.

The idea that Lando is yet on that level is laughable, to be honest, and seems very much to be based on fan bias.

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 21:56
LionsHeart wrote:
Yeah I'd prefer that too.

It was tricky here though with the wind.
By the way, yes. The wind here also greatly affects the behavior of the chassis. But banal and the racer can not see from the cockpit was a departure outside the track or not. It would be necessary to make a 50 cm wide curb, and then I do not know, sausages can be added or other restrictions, if there is no desire to fill everything with gravel.