2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ben1980
Ben1980

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

mwillems wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 20:19
Ben1980 wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 20:16
blastdoman wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 20:12
Congratulations to Oscar. A perfect race with a lot of difficulties with the tires. Lando, in spite of the podium, bad, very bad.
I know its trendy to bash Lando. But that was not at all bad, let alone very bad.
it certainly wasn't great either. Listen, you're a fan of Lando, I get it, but you have to be honest about his performances. He was supposed to fight Oscar for the lead and dropped back to 6th instead, gave Max the space and was dropped by Max, Russell was on softs but the pace he went by Lando was crazy. The weird line on the safety car restart gave him work to do stuck behind charles. It was not a good race for him but he did what he needed to do and pulled it back.
I'm a Mclaren fan. I don't necessarily have a preferred driver. I just want the team to do well

But, in reality, the start was a lot down to his side and the red runners, as mentioned Max struggled. Max got by easily, as he was struggling for grip, and he then got back to whete he should have been pretty comfortably. And would probably have been easier without the 3 safety cars.

I just find the critical nature of his driving a bit over the top, and while Oscar is good, the over the top reaction to him, a bit frustrating.

Saying that, I'd love to see Oscar challenge him over a full season, but..2 alphas don't mix in F1.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

blastdoman wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 20:23
I'm just going to say one more thing. The rookie this weekend looks like Lando instead of Oscar. That has two readings, one speaks very well of Oscar and the other speaks very badly of Lando. Let each one take what they consider. I am one of those who takes half and half.
Disagree, Oscar did the better job, Lando didn't do very badly, else he wouldn't have been on the podium.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Macklaren
Macklaren

Great to see Lando come through the pack. Bodes well for tomorrow.
Lando's great spirit and self criticism is also an excellent attitude for a weekend that he's in the back foot. Wonder if he dislikes sprint weekends compared to Oscar

Ben1980
Ben1980

Ground Effect wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 20:20
Ben1980 wrote:
blastdoman wrote:
Congratulations to Oscar. A perfect race with a lot of difficulties with the tires. Lando, in spite of the podium, bad, very bad.
I know its trendy to bash Lando. But that was not at all bad, let alone very bad.
Apparently it is, why is it though? For the life of me, I can't understand it. Constructive criticism is fine, everybody who aims to excel needs that, but bashing for the sake of bashing is just plain stupid...
The guy has been pretty good for the last few years, and since Austria pretty damn good. Yet its all about focusing on the errors.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Ground Effect wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 20:20
Ben1980 wrote:
blastdoman wrote:
Apparently it is, why is it though? For the life of me, I can't understand it. Constructive criticism is fine, everybody who aims to excel needs that, but bashing for the sake of bashing is just plain stupid...
2 theories:

A) There is people that only live to criticize and are waiting for whichever opportunity they have to do just that
B) Some people’s girlfriends may be saying Lando’s name in some intimate moments and they are not pleased by it :)

It’s undeniable that this hasn’t been a good weekend for Lando, several mistakes that has cost him positions… At the same time, some of the criticism seems a bit much for me… But everyone is entitled to their opinion… It’s just interesting how quickly some that rarely contribute anything in the thread are prone to criticize as soon as mistake is made.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Good recovery, McLaren! Bravo Oscar and Lando!

Marc.W

blastdoman wrote:
I'm just going to say one more thing. The rookie this weekend looks like Lando instead of Oscar. That has two readings, one speaks very well of Oscar and the other speaks very badly of Lando. Let each one take what they consider. I am one of those who takes half and half.
IMO the Sprints play perfectly to mask Oscars weakness's right now, no real tyre managment to worry about, tomorrow we'll see Lando being faster where it matters most, not to take away from Oscar at all, he's an amazing talent for sure, but I don't think he's got the best of Lando just yet

organic

Car seems like it might be the quickest race car as well. Could be a fight on Sunday for the win despite the poor start positions.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Great result. I do have a nitpick. Oscar getting dropped 1.5s by Russel on his restart - that was a clear bad reaction by Piastri and not due to tyres.

Really shows why Lando is so unhappy with his qualifying - imagine if they started P2 and P4 tomorrow.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Marc.W wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 20:28
blastdoman wrote:
IMO the Sprints play perfectly to mask Oscars weakness's right now, no real tyre managment to worry about, tomorrow we'll see Lando being faster where it matters most, not to take away from Oscar at all, he's an amazing talent for sure, but I don't think he's got the best of Lando just yet
If Pirelli institutes maximum 22 laps on tyres - it will be the same.

Good news for us is that McLaren now have one new medium and one new hard for tomorrow - same as Max. I do think Max has one more "low mileage" medium so if it ends up being a 2 stop race - it may work in his favour.

blastdoman
blastdoman

By the way, we are already 35 points behind Aston Martin

CjC
CjC

geogate wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 20:14
mega job from piastri - will take a bike ride in a bit to see if they turned on the red mclaren sign
👍🏻 post a pic if you can
Just a fan's point of view

Xero

mwillems wrote:
Ben1980 wrote:
blastdoman wrote:
it certainly wasn't great either. Listen, you're a fan of Lando, I get it, but you have to be honest about his performances. He was supposed to fight Oscar for the lead and dropped back to 6th instead, gave Max the space and was dropped by Max, Russell was on softs but the pace he went by Lando was crazy. The weird line on the safety car restart gave him work to do stuck behind charles. It was not a good race for him but he did what he needed to do and pulled it back.
The only mistake Lando made was leaving the door open for Max to pass. He was a bit too keen to get back past the Ferraris before his tyres were ready, but got the job done. I was impressed by his defensive driving against Fernando, and he pulled off a couple of good overtakes. Not great, not bad, but it was decent.

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

mwillems wrote:
Ben1980 wrote:
blastdoman wrote:
Don't forget he was starting from the dirty side of the grid, surrounded by people on softs. He wasn't great at the starts but it wasn't a bad drive by any means, and I've been critical of Lando the whole weekend.

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Shame Lando didn't put his lap together yesterday. Would've been interesting fighting Max from pole/P2, our pace doesn't look a lot worse. Congrats to Oscar tho, mega job!

Hoping the (Grand Prix) win for Lando comes soon. He needs to beat this stupid slander from jealous fans on Twitter.