2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

blastdoman wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 20:31
By the way, we are already 35 points behind Aston Martin
Yeah - sprint doesn't pay out a lot of points, but if you get two drivers high up - it's not bad. This is 14 points.

mwillems

Ground Effect wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 20:24
mwillems wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 20:19
Ben1980 wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 20:16

I know its trendy to bash Lando. But that was not at all bad, let alone very bad.
it certainly wasn't great either. Listen, you're a fan of Lando, I get it, but you have to be honest about his performances. He was supposed to fight Oscar for the lead and dropped back to 6th instead, gave Max the space and was dropped by Max, Russell was on softs but the pace he went by Lando was crazy. The weird line on the safety car restart gave him work to do stuck behind charles. It was not a good race for him but he did what he needed to do and pulled it back.
Fair points, but everybody who passed him was on the sofas, except Max, who started on the clean side of the grid, his launch looked OK, just poor, poor grip. Oscar did very well though, near perfect drive.
On the sofas? They're even slower :D

He pulled it back and did a job so it's all good, all in all it was OK.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

_cerber1

OSCAR MEGA!!! LANDO EVERYTHING WILL COME!!!

mwillems

Xero wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 20:32
mwillems wrote:
Ben1980 wrote:

I know its trendy to bash Lando. But that was not at all bad, let alone very bad.
it certainly wasn't great either. Listen, you're a fan of Lando, I get it, but you have to be honest about his performances. He was supposed to fight Oscar for the lead and dropped back to 6th instead, gave Max the space and was dropped by Max, Russell was on softs but the pace he went by Lando was crazy. The weird line on the safety car restart gave him work to do stuck behind charles. It was not a good race for him but he did what he needed to do and pulled it back.
The only mistake Lando made was leaving the door open for Max to pass. He was a bit too keen to get back past the Ferraris before his tyres were ready, but got the job done. I was impressed by his defensive driving against Fernando, and he pulled off a couple of good overtakes. Not great, not bad, but it was decent.
You can see compared to Oscar aswell that his start was poor. He also went wide under the ending safety car that let Charles by as well. It was a ridiculous mistake really, but he pulled it back.

Granted the start was always going to be tough on meds and you expect a fight but it was pretty lame as starts go. Which is unusual as he often gets good starts.
Last edited by mwillems on 07 Oct 2023, 20:43, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

mwillems wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 20:35
Ground Effect wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Fair points, but everybody who passed him was on the sofas, except Max, who started on the clean side of the grid, his launch looked OK, just poor, poor grip. Oscar did very well though, near perfect drive.

:lol: Tell me you do stand-up comedy part time.... :lol:
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mwillems

Ground Effect wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 20:41
mwillems wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:

:lol: Tell me you do stand-up comedy part time.... :lol:
Ahahaha
Nobody will pay me for it though! lol

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

_cerber1 wrote:
OSCAR MEGA!!! LANDO EVERYTHING WILL COME!!!
I used to see you on turbobazar and didn't even realize you were a McLaren fan. :D

mclaren111

Well Done Boys !!!!!!!

Some more of this tomorrow !!!!!!

mwillems

Marc.W wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 20:28
blastdoman wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 20:23
I'm just going to say one more thing. The rookie this weekend looks like Lando instead of Oscar. That has two readings, one speaks very well of Oscar and the other speaks very badly of Lando. Let each one take what they consider. I am one of those who takes half and half.
IMO the Sprints play perfectly to mask Oscars weakness's right now, no real tyre managment to worry about, tomorrow we'll see Lando being faster where it matters most, not to take away from Oscar at all, he's an amazing talent for sure, but I don't think he's got the best of Lando just yet
I expect Lando to have a good race tomorrow. The car has speed in a straight line so we should be able to make some positions and his tyre management will help.

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Half of the sprint distance was behind the safety car. It's not clear how many laps the medium tires can last. On the other hand, if in teams on the recommendation of Pirelli all go to 3 pitstops, it will not be decisive. A lot of pitstops will be beneficial to those teams who can consistently and quickly service the car on the track. Plus the presence of a safety car in the race tomorrow may also bring some surprises.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Marc.W wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 20:28
blastdoman wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 20:23
I'm just going to say one more thing. The rookie this weekend looks like Lando instead of Oscar. That has two readings, one speaks very well of Oscar and the other speaks very badly of Lando. Let each one take what they consider. I am one of those who takes half and half.
IMO the Sprints play perfectly to mask Oscars weakness's right now, no real tyre managment to worry about, tomorrow we'll see Lando being faster where it matters most, not to take away from Oscar at all, he's an amazing talent for sure, but I don't think he's got the best of Lando just yet
I think Oscar will be fine tomorrow. People said he would get eaten up in the sprint, and it didn't happen.
A lion must kill its prey.

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

Amazing, makes me sad that they bottled quali, but our pace is promising

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 20:27
Ground Effect wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 20:20
Ben1980 wrote:

Apparently it is, why is it though? For the life of me, I can't understand it. Constructive criticism is fine, everybody who aims to excel needs that, but bashing for the sake of bashing is just plain stupid...
2 theories:

A) There is people that only live to criticize and are waiting for whichever opportunity they have to do just that
B) Some people’s girlfriends may be saying Lando’s name in some intimate moments and they are not pleased by it :)

It’s undeniable that this hasn’t been a good weekend for Lando, several mistakes that has cost him positions… At the same time, some of the criticism seems a bit much for me… But everyone is entitled to their opinion… It’s just interesting how quickly some that rarely contribute anything in the thread are prone to criticize as soon as mistake is made.
My partner says she would only sleep with Oscar for what it is worth, she says that Lando starts to slowly for her liking and that he's not very good with the wrong rubber.

-Bandit

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

I remember when just after Bahrain, the expert pundits were suggesting Oscar was regretting moving to McLaren over Alpine.....
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Ground Effect wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 20:59
I remember when just after Bahrain, the expert pundits were suggesting Oscar was regretting moving to McLaren over Alpine.....
It will be a fun Drive to Survive season.